Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: btdtgtt on June 13, 2013, 09:55:27 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 12, 2013, 09:20:55 AM
Quote from: ManInBlackandGreen on June 12, 2013, 08:23:34 AM
As you can see MR2 you cant win! However your example quoted is IMO a poor one, your highlighting a local south Antrim referee who maybe doing it for the crac, or his club needed to put a name forward to facilitate county requirements, or hes doing it for the readies! Then drawing parallels to National Referees who have more experience across the board at a higher skill level! The question begs as always wether your a county or national referee when is a foul not a foul? This purely comes down to interpretation of the referee who has 2 secs to make up his mind, as i am sure you can see from the championship already the national guys in the majority are blowing for frees that in the past they would have let go in the interest of TV and crowd, and looking at media reaction its not going down well!!! The problem with Ulster Referees is that most of the time they have been blowing for these frees and the southern lads have not, thus the age old comment, " ah ref did you watch such and such game FFS let it go!" Its all about attitude and what they are prepared to accept ;)

The same referee is also doing div 1 down to div 4 and is an ex senior hurler for his club which was a div 1 club when he played so that first point is wrong for starters.

I'm not trying to win, just call it as I see it, it won't make me friends nor will I keep everyone happy. National referees (and I was at the seminar in Croke) stated that they blow for the same fouls at juvenile level in their own county as they would at National level.

Players are really daft I've just found that out, they first off think that you have eyes in the back of your head, they also think that you are cheating them over some other club, they also think cause they give you water, crack a joke or hand you a match ball beforehand that you may favour them!! While at the same time during their team talk, the referee is a w**ker he'll give ya fcuk all he hates this club (the latter would be right, though I hate all clubs) Oh the best is he's from a football club he knows fcuk all. They also believe that by shouting at the referee that he'll in some way give them soft frees lol. I could go on.

I must be mental cause I actually enjoy refereeing (to a point) you get to see some decent games keeps you fit and you put a bit back into the game, as for the readies as you put it it's not a while lot and just about covers your fuel, you won't become rich with it.

btdtgtt, you can only referee it to the rules, you can't make rules up and I'd like to see how well the players would do if they were set a test on the rules, christ I'd like to see the managers do a test on the rules. For some reason and I've heard this before players/managers seem to think that a referee gets off on being the man in the middle and makes decisions, I'd like nothing more than to blow the whistle at the start, halftime and fulltime. It's the players that make mistakes throughout the game that ruin it, If they stop making mistakes we'd have no problems

Refs cant make them up - but they can interpret fouls whichever way the please.
To suggest otherwise is ridiculous.

For example - how many times to we see southern refs allow southern teams to be physical against Antrim - becasue the "know what they're doing"
Meanwhile Antrim are blown time again becasue the impression is that they are "careless".

The same thing happens within Antrim.
Refs make their mind up on which team is playing the best hurling - and interpret what is a foul and what is physical to suit that assupmtion.

It might not sound pelasant - but it happens. And all too often.

I'm really struggling with this one. A referee will blow for a foul that he sees. You may think it's a foul and it may even be a foul but unless the referee clearly sees it in real time then that's all he can use. Now sometimes in an attacking position the referee may allow for a player to take extra steps if he's being held back/grabbed he may even allow a foul on a player who's been dumped after off loading the ball to a player in an attacking position to see if it generates a score, the referee can do two things, if he feels after a couple of seconds there is no advantage, call it back (called the slow whistle) and book the player if necessary, and the other is to let play go on. Either way you will get flack form players and managers and whatever rabble is on the line watching. Two many steps referee, ya didn't play advantage referee, ya not going to book him??? Always followed by, you're f**king useless referee.

If teams went out and tried to play hurling/football without fouling then the referee wouldn't be talked about. Referee's don't loose games
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Gizzy15

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 13, 2013, 10:43:35 AM
As you can see MR2 you cant win! However your example quoted is IMO a poor one, your highlighting a local south Antrim referee who maybe doing it for the crac, or his club needed to put a name forward to facilitate county requirements, or hes doing it for the readies! Then drawing parallels to National Referees who have more experience across the board at a higher skill level! The question begs as always wether your a county or national referee when is a foul not a foul? This purely comes down to interpretation of the referee who has 2 secs to make up his mind, as i am sure you can see from the championship already the national guys in the majority are blowing for frees that in the past they would have let go in the interest of TV and crowd, and looking at media reaction its not going down well!!! The problem with Ulster Referees is that most of the time they have been blowing for these frees and the southern lads have not, thus the age old comment, " ah ref did you watch such and such game FFS let it go!" Its all about attitude and what they are prepared to accept ;)

The same referee is also doing div 1 down to div 4 and is an ex senior hurler for his club which was a div 1 club when he played so that first point is wrong for starters.

I'm not trying to win, just call it as I see it, it won't make me friends nor will I keep everyone happy. National referees (and I was at the seminar in Croke) stated that they blow for the same fouls at juvenile level in their own county as they would at National level.

Players are really daft I've just found that out, they first off think that you have eyes in the back of your head, they also think that you are cheating them over some other club, they also think cause they give you water, crack a joke or hand you a match ball beforehand that you may favour them!! While at the same time during their team talk, the referee is a w**ker he'll give ya fcuk all he hates this club (the latter would be right, though I hate all clubs) Oh the best is he's from a football club he knows fcuk all. They also believe that by shouting at the referee that he'll in some way give them soft frees lol. I could go on.

I must be mental cause I actually enjoy refereeing (to a point) you get to see some decent games keeps you fit and you put a bit back into the game, as for the readies as you put it it's not a while lot and just about covers your fuel, you won't become rich with it.

btdtgtt, you can only referee it to the rules, you can't make rules up and I'd like to see how well the players would do if they were set a test on the rules, christ I'd like to see the managers do a test on the rules. For some reason and I've heard this before players/managers seem to think that a referee gets off on being the man in the middle and makes decisions, I'd like nothing more than to blow the whistle at the start, halftime and fulltime. It's the players that make mistakes throughout the game that ruin it, If they stop making mistakes we'd have no problems

For example - how many times to we see southern refs allow southern teams to be physical against Antrim - becasue the "know what they're doing"
Meanwhile Antrim are blown time again becasue the impression is that they are "careless".

Refs make their mind up on which team is playing the best hurling - and interpret what is a foul and what is physical to suit that assupmtion.

I'm really struggling with this one. A referee will blow for a foul that he sees. You may think it's a foul and it may even be a foul but unless the referee clearly sees it in real time then that's all he can use. Now sometimes in an attacking position the referee may allow for a player to take extra steps if he's being held back/grabbed he may even allow a foul on a player who's been dumped after off loading the ball to a player in an attacking position to see if it generates a score, the referee can do two things, if he feels after a couple of seconds there is no advantage, call it back (called the slow whistle) and book the player if necessary, and the other is to let play go on. Either way you will get flack form players and managers and whatever rabble is on the line watching. Two many steps referee, ya didn't play advantage referee, ya not going to book him??? Always followed by, you're f**king useless referee.

If teams went out and tried to play hurling/football without fouling then the referee wouldn't be talked about. Referee's don't loose games

I don't think you should drag yourself into justifying yourself here MR, the ref is and always will be in a no win situation as a decision will always go against someone. Interpretation is the big issue and as refs are only human they will have different interpretations also depending on their view of events etc. I think this will not be solved on here and should be given a bit of a break as it will only go around in circles.

NAG1

Think this is were the communication comes in MR2, I know the refs have to appear confident in their decisions even if they are only 80% sure they got it right. However there is a fine line between this confidence and it being misinterpreted as arrogance. Communication is the key having a quiet word with some of the players around these situations to explain, 'yes I saw it - played advantage - didnt work out - so pulled it back'

Having the players onside and showing that the ref wants the game to flow and trying to communicate that would go a long way.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Gizzy15 on June 13, 2013, 10:51:08 AM

I don't think you should drag yourself into justifying yourself here MR, the ref is and always will be in a no win situation as a decision will always go against someone. Interpretation is the big issue and as refs are only human they will have different interpretations also depending on their view of events etc. I think this will not be solved on here and should be given a bit of a break as it will only go around in circles.

Very true, I'm coming at this from being a player, manager and now referee, I've had run ins with the referees over the years as a player and manager, but I never blamed him for us not winning a match

Yes NAG1 some referees do that, but when your being called a wee cnut under their breath how best would you react to that? or the manager is jumping about and squealing like a header there is nothing quiet about it
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NAG1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 13, 2013, 11:02:32 AM
Quote from: Gizzy15 on June 13, 2013, 10:51:08 AM

Very true, I'm coming at this from being a player, manager and now referee, I've had run ins with the referees over the years as a player and manager, but I never blamed him for us not winning a match

Yes NAG1 some referees do that, but when your being called a wee cnut under their breath how best would you react to that? or the manager is jumping about and squealing like a header there is nothing quiet about it

MR2 I'm not saying it is easy at all, it definitely is not.

But personally I would look for some of the older heads on the two teams when these controversial incidents happen and literally a couple of quick words with them might help. Not saying it will always work but in my experience if you come down to the more human level and just say look we are all here to have a game lets try and keep a lid on it, then it might bring more success i dont know, just my opinion.

As for the manager looking around the county most are a lost cause, but particularly annoys me when I see managers and seems to happen a lot around injury breaks, where certain ones enter the field of play and try to sleaze the ref and influence them. This is where I think refs can get themselves into trouble as the other teams perceive this to be a pallyness thing between the two and during a game it is all about perceptions.

Milltown Row2

Yeah they come on and say this and that and hand you a water bottle and whatever, but the reality is that a referee (a decent one) doesn't care if he comes on or not, in one hand you're looking to have good communication and not be arrogant then the next thing it's more or less tell the manager to get off the pitch!!

There is that much going on that you really can't see everything, naturally you follow the ball and if something happens you're beat. I'd a lad that said his defender was hanging all over him last night, I thought it was going on but never seen it, had a chance to catch it and blew for a foul on the 21 when the ball was played in. Good when you see it but when following the ball it's hard to catch. I think the referee needs to be reasonably fit it really is tough to keep up to play and I'd say I've a pretty good fitness level. If I make a mistake then it happens, like a player would feel, I wouldn't be happy with it.

What's becoming my biggest pet hate lately is this, he'll give you nothing, from managers!! What is it I'm meant to give??

johnneycool

MR2,
when you're at these refereeing courses do they teach or recommend lines of running to improve viewing angles etc, etc?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnneycool on June 13, 2013, 12:04:23 PM
MR2,
when you're at these refereeing courses do they teach or recommend lines of running to improve viewing angles etc, etc?

Yeah the figure 8 has been mentioned a lot, getting the top end through the middle bottom and and back over again. Hard to do and still stay close enough to call, hurling is mental fast at the top end of the league, the other week I was all over the place, lads were fielding the ball and lashing it 60 yards down the pitch for it to be caught and last diagonally the other direction!!

A player usually stays in a 30 metre quadrant, a referee.......

NAG1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 13, 2013, 11:57:30 AM
Yeah they come on and say this and that and hand you a water bottle and whatever, but the reality is that a referee (a decent one) doesn't care if he comes on or not, in one hand you're looking to have good communication and not be arrogant then the next thing it's more or less tell the manager to get off the pitch!!

There is that much going on that you really can't see everything, naturally you follow the ball and if something happens you're beat. I'd a lad that said his defender was hanging all over him last night, I thought it was going on but never seen it, had a chance to catch it and blew for a foul on the 21 when the ball was played in. Good when you see it but when following the ball it's hard to catch. I think the referee needs to be reasonably fit it really is tough to keep up to play and I'd say I've a pretty good fitness level. If I make a mistake then it happens, like a player would feel, I wouldn't be happy with it.

What's becoming my biggest pet hate lately is this, he'll give you nothing, from managers!! What is it I'm meant to give??

Even if he has a casual arm draped round your shoulder  ;)

I agree you dont want to set that tone, I am just pointing out that perceptions right or wrong can be difficult to manage.

Managers are always looking out for their own interests.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: NAG1 on June 13, 2013, 12:19:07 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 13, 2013, 11:57:30 AM

Even if he has a casual arm draped round your shoulder  ;)

I agree you dont want to set that tone, I am just pointing out that perceptions right or wrong can be difficult to manage.

Managers are always looking out for their own interests.

I've been doing this a few years and have yet to get any brown evelopes in the referees room, the managers are using the wrong tactics COMPLETELY

johnneycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 13, 2013, 12:17:57 PM
MR2,

Yeah the figure 8 has been mentioned a lot, getting the top end through the middle bottom and and back over again. Hard to do and still stay close enough to call, hurling is mental fast at the top end of the league, the other week I was all over the place, lads were fielding the ball and lashing it 60 yards down the pitch for it to be caught and last diagonally the other direction!!

........stays between the two 65's

:D :D :D :D

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: Jesusjones on June 13, 2013, 10:41:42 AM
Dunloy Realist, are both Woody and Shorty not injured and this is the reason they didn't play last night?
shorty is injured and wouldn't have played regardless a he would went to the county. Woody was taken off as a precaution on Sunday past against Rossa but he went to the county training anyway to watch it.

I know cdall wanted the game off last night maybe due to being weakend with the county boys at training. I can understand that as they are 4 of your main players.

That said without them we prob would list anyway! Lol

Shorty has played 5-7 games in all competitions for our club this season and he's IMO one of the best players in the county at the min. We have had to do without him through county commitments and have still played all our games without cancelling one.
hurl like f**k boi!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnneycool on June 13, 2013, 12:27:05 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 13, 2013, 12:17:57 PM
MR2,

........stays between the two 65's

:D :D :D :D

Even better when the pitch only has a centreline  ;)

pdiddy

Quote from: NAG1 on June 13, 2013, 09:50:54 AM
How come LG had no game at the weekend?
Supposed to play portaferry but game called off due to down's involvement in christy ring. Supposed to play ballycastle on tuesday but it was off due to u21 final.
When a team loses, there's always a row at half time, but when they win, its an inspirational speech

Na Glinntí Glasa

Or until you paid your public liability insurance lol

Bit of a hash that one but I hear its all sorted now. Did get a laugh at it tho.
hurl like f**k boi!