Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: NAG1 on June 11, 2013, 02:34:12 PM
Quote from: hardstation on June 11, 2013, 02:30:01 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on June 11, 2013, 02:05:02 PM
Quote from: BlackandAmber on June 11, 2013, 01:11:11 PM
Quote from: Ballybredagh on June 10, 2013, 08:09:16 PM
As for Johnty, let he who has never sinned cast the first stone!
Most teams have had there "hatchet men" allright but not so many now. It did sound to me like it would be a stupid thing for a parent of 2 good young hurlers to do cos I'm sure he'd not want the same to be done to his own.

Sets the U21 final up nicely, but on last nights showing the Johnnies must be hot favourites.
I agree there that St Johns would be favourites now. I'd say the Town will be happy enough with that too cos it takes some of the pressure of them as holders.

Question would be for the Belfast brethren if the Town happen to win on Friday evening and beat the golden era of St John's under age talent, where do they go from there?
Cushendall won the minor 3 years ago though so the Johnnies double winning teams still have next year and the year after at u21.

MR2 wouldnt blow it anyway, or at worst a yellow for dangerous rough play  ;)

Was just playing devils advocate lads, they will be a serious force in a few years, but my own feeling is that they need to develop a few more forwards.

Fixed that for you

Would a slap in the hand/elbow be deliberate when the player has no chance of slapping the ball away from someone running with ball on stick?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NAG1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 11, 2013, 03:19:28 PM
Most teams have had there "hatchet men" allright but not so many now. It did sound to me like it would be a stupid thing for a parent of 2 good young hurlers to do cos I'm sure he'd not want the same to be done to his own.

Sets the U21 final up nicely, but on last nights showing the Johnnies must be hot favourites.
I agree there that St Johns would be favourites now. I'd say the Town will be happy enough with that too cos it takes some of the pressure of them as holders.

Question would be for the Belfast brethren if the Town happen to win on Friday evening and beat the golden era of St John's under age talent, where do they go from there?
Cushendall won the minor 3 years ago though so the Johnnies double winning teams still have next year and the year after at u21.

Was just playing devils advocate lads, they will be a serious force in a few years, but my own feeling is that they need to develop a few more forwards.

Fixed that for you

Would a slap in the hand/elbow be deliberate when the player has no chance of slapping the ball away from someone running with ball on stick?

Yes?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: NAG1 on June 11, 2013, 03:29:11 PM

Fixed that for you

Yes?

Watch your next game and tell me how many red/yellow cards are handed out for this, so a missed time tackle/flick for the ball deserves a yello/red? The All Ireland Championships have a lot to answer for this, this is common in every game, count the amount of times it happens, and in the All Ireland club a lad was sent off for the same thing and a lot of posters thought it was slightly unfair, on reflection I thought it was the right decision but the referee only gets one look at it....
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnneycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 11, 2013, 03:37:09 PM

Fixed that for you

Yes?

Watch your next game and tell me how many red/yellow cards are handed out for this, so a missed time tackle/flick for the ball deserves a yello/red? The All Ireland Championships have a lot to answer for this, this is common in every game, count the amount of times it happens, and in the All Ireland club a lad was sent off for the same thing and a lot of posters thought it was slightly unfair, on reflection I thought it was the right decision but the referee only gets one look at it....

What was unfair about it was that we watch it go all summer, yet some club player does it and gets the line.
There's a difference between a genuine mistimed flick at the ball to a deliberate attempt to slap an arm or elbow in the hope it puts the player off. That's a foul all day long, but wasn't blown once in Limerick or Tullamore.

NAG1

Not getting at you MR2 and I do agree with you.

But doesnt change the fact that if one player is chasing another and he is soloing the ball, a slap on the hand/ elbow is 2/3 feet from the ball and should be blown as a foul. Up here most of the time it is, down south its seems to be that you are allowed one half decent slap at the elbow.

Watch Tommy Walsh chasing someone down next game, he has the hurl in over the shoulder and the other hand dragging/ pulling/ slapping at the opponent and more times than not it is not even fouled. It's a different game that's for sure and that's not all down to the ref either.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnneycool on June 11, 2013, 04:05:44 PM

Fixed that for you

Yes?

What was unfair about it was that we watch it go all summer, yet some club player does it and gets the line.
There's a difference between a genuine mistimed flick at the ball to a deliberate attempt to slap an arm or elbow in the hope it puts the player off. That's a foul all day long, but wasn't blown once in Limerick or Tullamore.

But the managers/players/supporters see it differently Johnney, if one of your players gets hit by a 'mistimed' flick/tackle they are shouting for red cards like Italian footballers FFS

johnneycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 11, 2013, 04:24:44 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on June 11, 2013, 04:05:44 PM

Fixed that for you

Yes?

But the managers/players/supporters see it differently Johnney, if one of your players gets hit by a 'mistimed' flick/tackle they are shouting for red cards like Italian footballers FFS

Sure they'll shout and if you're soft enough to give it, then they're vindicated in their shouting and before long you'll get the name of a home town referee who can be swayed by a bit of shouting and hey presto, every dogs c**k is shouting at you for the slightest of things.

If there's a genuine attempt to play the ball and even if its mistimed I'd certainly award the free, its the hoors who scelp the arms and hands with no intention of playing at a ball I'd card.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: NAG1 on June 11, 2013, 04:23:03 PM
Not getting at you MR2 and I do agree with you.

But doesnt change the fact that if one player is chasing another and he is soloing the ball, a slap on the hand/ elbow is 2/3 feet from the ball and should be blown as a foul. Up here most of the time it is, down south its seems to be that you are allowed one half decent slap at the elbow.

Watch Tommy Walsh chasing someone down next game, he has the hurl in over the shoulder and the other hand dragging/ pulling/ slapping at the opponent and more times than not it is not even fouled. It's a different game that's for sure and that's not all down to the ref either.

Yeah I agree that it's deserving of a card but my point is this, is it deliberate? Or is it rough play? If it's deliberate then it's a red card if its rough play or deemed as a mistimed tackle flick it's a yellow. Referees all over need to apply the same rule all of the time in all divisions. We played a game last night in Southy Antrim hurling, one of our players took a slap in my view deliberate and didn't get a foul or was the player booked. Consistency......

ManInBlackandGreen

As you can see MR2 you cant win! However your example quoted is IMO a poor one, your highlighting a local south Antrim referee who maybe doing it for the crac, or his club needed to put a name forward to facilitate county requirements, or hes doing it for the readies! Then drawing parallels to National Referees who have more experience across the board at a higher skill level! The question begs as always wether your a county or national referee when is a foul not a foul? This purely comes down to interpretation of the referee who has 2 secs to make up his mind, as i am sure you can see from the championship already the national guys in the majority are blowing for frees that in the past they would have let go in the interest of TV and crowd, and looking at media reaction its not going down well!!! The problem with Ulster Referees is that most of the time they have been blowing for these frees and the southern lads have not, thus the age old comment, " ah ref did you watch such and such game FFS let it go!" Its all about attitude and what they are prepared to accept ;)

btdtgtt

I've said before I think our main problems with refs is that they referee the match & the players - rather than the rules.

I mean, they try to affect the game themselves and blow frees depending on perceived reputations of players.
The get their own impressio from the game and then ref it accordingly.

If they'd just stick to the rule book (apply it consistently) then the rest can look after itself.

Not all refs - but certainly I think this is an issue.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ManInBlackandGreen on June 12, 2013, 08:23:34 AM
As you can see MR2 you cant win! However your example quoted is IMO a poor one, your highlighting a local south Antrim referee who maybe doing it for the crac, or his club needed to put a name forward to facilitate county requirements, or hes doing it for the readies! Then drawing parallels to National Referees who have more experience across the board at a higher skill level! The question begs as always wether your a county or national referee when is a foul not a foul? This purely comes down to interpretation of the referee who has 2 secs to make up his mind, as i am sure you can see from the championship already the national guys in the majority are blowing for frees that in the past they would have let go in the interest of TV and crowd, and looking at media reaction its not going down well!!! The problem with Ulster Referees is that most of the time they have been blowing for these frees and the southern lads have not, thus the age old comment, " ah ref did you watch such and such game FFS let it go!" Its all about attitude and what they are prepared to accept ;)

The same referee is also doing div 1 down to div 4 and is an ex senior hurler for his club which was a div 1 club when he played so that first point is wrong for starters.

I'm not trying to win, just call it as I see it, it won't make me friends nor will I keep everyone happy. National referees (and I was at the seminar in Croke) stated that they blow for the same fouls at juvenile level in their own county as they would at National level.

Players are really daft I've just found that out, they first off think that you have eyes in the back of your head, they also think that you are cheating them over some other club, they also think cause they give you water, crack a joke or hand you a match ball beforehand that you may favour them!! While at the same time during their team talk, the referee is a w**ker he'll give ya fcuk all he hates this club (the latter would be right, though I hate all clubs) Oh the best is he's from a football club he knows fcuk all. They also believe that by shouting at the referee that he'll in some way give them soft frees lol. I could go on.

I must be mental cause I actually enjoy refereeing (to a point) you get to see some decent games keeps you fit and you put a bit back into the game, as for the readies as you put it it's not a while lot and just about covers your fuel, you won't become rich with it.

btdtgtt, you can only referee it to the rules, you can't make rules up and I'd like to see how well the players would do if they were set a test on the rules, christ I'd like to see the managers do a test on the rules. For some reason and I've heard this before players/managers seem to think that a referee gets off on being the man in the middle and makes decisions, I'd like nothing more than to blow the whistle at the start, halftime and fulltime. It's the players that make mistakes throughout the game that ruin it, If they stop making mistakes we'd have no problems

johnneycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 12, 2013, 09:20:55 AM

I'm not trying to win, just call it as I see it, it won't make me friends nor will I keep everyone happy. National referees (and I was at the seminar in Croke) stated that they blow for the same fouls at juvenile level in their own county as they would at National level.

I'd love to believe that statement, but that's just balls and whoever said it isn't living in the real world.

I've had the pleasure of Barry Kelly the odd time and granted it was probably at the early days of his intercounty career, but he's relaxed a good bit on some stuff when he moved up the ranks and to be fair to him, he's one of the better referees around.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnneycool on June 12, 2013, 12:42:04 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 12, 2013, 09:20:55 AM

I'd love to believe that statement, but that's just balls and whoever said it isn't living in the real world.

I've had the pleasure of Barry Kelly the odd time and granted it was probably at the early days of his intercounty career, but he's relaxed a good bit on some stuff when he moved up the ranks and to be fair to him, he's one of the better referees around.

I'd love to believe it also but they had these Al Ireland referees saying these things, they seemed genuine and honest, what can I say?

ManInBlackandGreen

Quote from: btdtgtt on June 12, 2013, 09:12:36 AM
I've said before I think our main problems with refs is that they referee the match & the players - rather than the rules.

I mean, they try to affect the game themselves and blow frees depending on perceived reputations of players.
The get their own impressio from the game and then ref it accordingly.

If they'd just stick to the rule book (apply it consistently) then the rest can look after itself.

Not all refs - but certainly I think this is an issue.

I ask myself the question continually when you post, did this lad ever play the game, some of your postings and responses really are pure S***! and reflect your real lack of knowledge which is only gained by playing and I suspect that wasnt your strong point!!!!!!

Leyland

Disappointing couple of results recently by our lads. Wasn't too despondent after cushendall match. They were better team but we always had a threat up front. Although at times our style of play was frustrating and hard to figure out. Sunday night v johnnies was just crap. Very flat performance and we got what we deserved.....sweet f.a. However I must add that mr Johnstons behaviour in the hill with us was unreal. Man is a lunatic.

Massive game on Friday night for us. U21 final v johnnies with both squads littered with senior players. The johnnies will have edge at minute gong by Sunday night. I really hope wee mickey can get our lads going for Friday night. We need to win this one. It will be big test for both camps but I'm hoping our big players like Matthew, stoogie and Clarkey are going to deliver.

On a side note. Choice of Ballymena as venue for county final is hard to work out. For county bard coffers a Friday night in Dunloy or loughiel would bring in a bigger gate.

Anyway up the Town.........