Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Quote from: thedog 83 on June 09, 2013, 10:35:24 PM
Watching the Sunday Game there and really liked Donal Og Cusacks idea about an Ulster team playing in the Liam McCarthy Cup.  I think it would really promote hurling in Ulster and gives Antrims better players a chance of mixing it with the best of Ireland

Antrim/Down/Derry etc will never be overly competitive in the All Ireland and you only have to look at the combined Colleges team that played in the A Colleges All Ireland, even though they got beat, they were competitive and should of won.  Resources were put in and the players bought into it, surely our seniors would buy into it as well.

We can't even mix it with the mediocre in Ireland.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

btdtgtt

Quote from: thedog 83 on June 09, 2013, 10:35:24 PM
Watching the Sunday Game there and really liked Donal Og Cusacks idea about an Ulster team playing in the Liam McCarthy Cup.  I think it would really promote hurling in Ulster and gives Antrims better players a chance of mixing it with the best of Ireland. 

Antrim/Down/Derry etc will never be overly competitive in the All Ireland and you only have to look at the combined Colleges team that played in the A Colleges All Ireland, even though they got beat, they were competitive and should of won.  Resources were put in and the players bought into it, surely our seniors would buy into it as well.

No chance.

ManInBlackandGreen

Well MR2 how did it go? Looks a comfortable win for the jonnies.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ManInBlackandGreen on June 10, 2013, 09:31:38 AM

The Johnnies started the better and racked up a few scores, Ballycastle missed some easy frees which would have made it tighter. No real talking points, the referee took some hackling form the mob on the hill but that's to be expected from them.

The goals the Johnnies got made the difference, just before half time and mid way through second half when Ballycastle made some inroads into the Johnnies lead.

Whether these clubs will be there when it matters is a different thing, won't make a matter come championship, between the other 3 with Loughgiel out in front
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ArfurFoxAche

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 10, 2013, 10:18:31 AM

The Johnnies started the better and racked up a few scores, Ballycastle missed some easy frees which would have made it tighter. No real talking points, the referee took some hackling form the mob on the hill but that's to be expected from them.

The goals the Johnnies got made the difference, just before half time and mid way through second half when Ballycastle made some inroads into the Johnnies lead.

Whether these clubs will be there when it matters is a different thing, won't make a matter come championship, between the other 3 with Loughgiel out in front

Easier than expected victory for St John's.  From my vantage point, you seemed to get more abuse from the Ballycastle line than you got from both sets of supporters.  The small fella on their line seemed to question every decision you gave.  Maybe the St John's manager reads this board as he wasn't even on the pitch in the first half. 

I think you reffed the game alright, save for the incident near the end when big bad Brian was bingoed near the 'heckling mob'.  If you saw it the Ballycastle no2 striking should have walked...otherwise he shouldn't have been yellow carded.  I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt on that one!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ArfurFoxAche on June 10, 2013, 11:03:23 AM

Easier than expected victory for St John's.  From my vantage point, you seemed to get more abuse from the Ballycastle line than you got from both sets of supporters.  The small fella on their line seemed to question every decision you gave.  Maybe the St John's manager reads this board as he wasn't even on the pitch in the first half. 

I think you reffed the game alright, save for the incident near the end when big bad Brian was bingoed near the 'heckling mob'.  If you saw it the Ballycastle no2 striking should have walked...otherwise he shouldn't have been yellow carded.  I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt on that one!

Apparently both at it, knowing Brian then maybe there's maybe some truth in that, and for a big man he went down very easily ;)

The game wasn't overly nasty which always helps
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NAG1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 10, 2013, 11:10:02 AM

Apparently both at it, knowing Brian then maybe there's maybe some truth in that, and for a big man he went down very easily ;)

Both teams flatter to deceive and really should be better than they are but aren't. Come championship don't see this being drastically different. For all the 'talent' St Johns have been bringing through they haven't produced any real menacing forwards, CJ is without doubt a class act but teams will soon get wise to that as well.

The Memory Man

Well MR2 how did it go? Looks a comfortable win for the Johnnie's.

MR2, I think Arthur the Fox is being a bit generous to you in giving you the benefit of the doubt.  Bottom line was, you saw the deliberate strike on 'Big Bad Brian' and bottled the decision.  I can certainly understand the reason for doing so, as you assumed you'd get less stick from the'Heckling Mob' on the hill, than from Burnie Nesbitt!! I'm sure you're ears and head were splitting on the way home.  He mustn't be allowed to talk in the house!

All in all, I thought you done a great job and were helped by the players who just wanted to hurl.  None of us are perfect and of course you will miss the occasional thing or two.  I agree both these teams are ones for the future and are somewhat behind Loughiel and Cushendall, Dunloy not so much!  Some great young talent on display and with a bit of luck you'll see both St. Johns and Ballycastle's name back on the Volunteer Cup, where they have been missing for far too long.
;)

NAG1

Quote from: The Memory Man on June 10, 2013, 03:05:35 PM

MR2, I think Arthur the Fox is being a bit generous to you in giving you the benefit of the doubt.  Bottom line was, you saw the deliberate strike on 'Big Bad Brian' and bottled the decision.  I can certainly understand the reason for doing so, as you assumed you'd get less stick from the'Heckling Mob' on the hill, than from Burnie Nesbitt!! I'm sure you're ears and head were splitting on the way home.  He mustn't be allowed to talk in the house!

All in all, I thought you done a great job and were helped by the players who just wanted to hurl.  None of us are perfect and of course you will miss the occasional thing or two.  I agree both these teams are ones for the future and are somewhat behind Loughiel and Cushendall, Dunloy not so much!  Some great young talent on display and with a bit of luck you'll see both St. Johns and Ballycastle's name back on the Volunteer Cup, where they have been missing for far too long.
;)

Again I am baffled as to see how Cushendall have been and continue to be ranked on here by contributors above Dunloy, point me out any recent history which would point to this being the case?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: The Memory Man on June 10, 2013, 03:05:35 PM

MR2, I think Arthur the Fox is being a bit generous to you in giving you the benefit of the doubt. Bottom line was, you saw the deliberate strike on 'Big Bad Brian' and bottled the decision.  I can certainly understand the reason for doing so, as you assumed you'd get less stick from the'Heckling Mob' on the hill, than from Burnie Nesbitt!! I'm sure you're ears and head were splitting on the way home.  He mustn't be allowed to talk in the house!

;)

A bit of rough play and bad acting, nothing of any note in fairness

BlackandAmber

From the ones I talked to today, St Johns deserved the win. Our tactics were wrong
and they took good scores. They got a goal just on half time when we were getting
back into it and it was a bad goal to give away.
The main talking point wasn't the ref.
It is alleged that a certain fat loudmouth on the St Johns sideline told his son to
inflict some damage on our youngest player and that his son tried that twice in off
the ball strikes. The thought is that this was done with Friday evening in mind.
The ref was'nt blamed for that because he did'nt see them but there was a question about
the yellow card at the end.
To sum up. The ref was OK. St Johns deserved to win. Mickey Johnson is a sc**bag.

johnneycool

Quote from: BlackandAmber on June 10, 2013, 03:52:14 PM
From the ones I talked to today, St Johns deserved the win. Our tactics were wrong
and they took good scores. They got a goal just on half time when we were getting
It is alleged that a certain fat loudmouth on the St Johns sideline told his son to
inflict some damage on our youngest player and that his son tried that twice in off
the ball strikes. The thought is that this was done with Friday evening in mind.
The ref was'nt blamed for that because he did'nt see them but there was a question about
To sum up. The ref was OK. St Johns deserved to win. Mickey Johnson is a sc**bag.

He's some clown alright, shouting at our lads something about building police stations and army barracks during the troubles, not one of our lads had the first notion what he was going on about.

That aside he must be a decent enough coach but the slabbering must get a bit embarrassing for the players though!

NAG1

Quote from: johnneycool on June 10, 2013, 04:00:34 PM
Quote from: BlackandAmber on June 10, 2013, 03:52:14 PM

He's some clown alright, shouting at our lads something about building police stations and army barracks during the troubles, not one of our lads had the first notion what he was going on about.

That aside he must be a decent enough coach but the slabbering must get a bit embarrassing for the players sons though!

Fixed that for you JC

The Memory Man

So it's Micky's turn this week!  Winker and Brian have had their go!  Go and grow a pair and confront the man at the time if you have an issue!!

theskull1

Always seemed very driven .... time will tell if its too driven

Need to be careful not to hang on alleged comments and using them as fact. We don't even know what is alleged to have been said so lets not put 2 and 2 together. Theres a fair old distance between "ffs get stuck into him" and "break his feckin hand on the next ball". The first one's suitably vague   ;)
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera