Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

north aontroim gael

Quote from: johnneycool on June 05, 2013, 09:26:44 AM
Quote from: north aontroim gael on June 05, 2013, 08:16:35 AM
Quote from: theskull1 on June 04, 2013, 11:32:45 AM
Games won and lost in the last 10... if you're not up for driving on in that part of the game when its there for the taking then don't expect to come out the right side when your up against top opposition. We went 5 up and went to sleep. Overall Loughgiel the much more nuanced team who I'd say easy found their men with 30+ yard passes to the men inside 10 times more than we did. It takes the man inside to move for the ball (movement everywhere) and the man with the ball to know those type of moves are being made and then be able to deliver the right kind of ball to give his team mate the ball winning advantage. At the minute we are playing too may 50/50 balls to our forwards when is great when you get the right breaks but I think we have to work far harder to get our scores because the hard work isn't being done before the ball is delivered.

Watched the clips of your goals last night and both came from fortunate breaks off high balls.  You coud aso argue it was good anticipation by PR and NE though.

I've always thought that from high balls more are broken than caught cleanly and if someone attacked the periphery of an aerial duel at the correct angle of running they'd get more ball than 'luck' would suggest.

Galway beat Kilkenny in the Leinster final by being first to the breaking ball once they prevented the Kilkenny lads from catching it cleanly.

Thought our young corner back could of been better positioned for the first goal (although he had a very solid game and has done well against both CDall and Dunloy). 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=080fPOeIOGY

Milltown Row2

Did Owen referee the match?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

theskull1

He did. Referee will always get it in the neck from both sets of myopic supporters. I'd like it explained though and I think players as well, why in the course of the same game, a quick free is called back in one instance, yet another is not. The referee may well have in his mind good reason, but to the rest of us (players and supporters), it is a lack of consistency.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

north aontroim gael

Quote from: theskull1 on June 05, 2013, 10:40:39 AM
He did. Referee will always get it in the neck from both sets of myopic supporters. I'd like it explained though and I think players as well, why in the cause of the same game, a quick free is called back in one instance, yet another is not. The referee may well have in his mind good reason, but to the rest of us (players and supporters), it is a lack of consistency.

You have a fair point.  I never even seen the free being hit at the time, just seen the net rising and was surprised that it wasn't called back as per the Dunloy free which didn't even offer them any real advantage when taken.

johnneycool

Quote from: theskull1 on June 05, 2013, 09:40:10 AM
9 times out of 10 Kilkenny would beat Galway. Kilkenny will not fear Galway as they are too reliant on that wee bit of luck to out gun them.

Most teams need that bit of luck to beat Kilkenny, but ask Brian Cody who he thinks are most likely to beat them any given year and he'll say Galway as ability is not in question, its attitude, motivation and direction which you're never sure you'll get with Galway from one year to the next. Galway have inflicted two of the biggest defeats on his teams over the years and they're the ones he's most likely to get wound up on the sideline over, remember thurles in 2006, he was deranged that year as Galway had beaten them the previous year.

On the breaking ball issue, I was hoarse shouting at young lads on the teams I had anything to do with not to get sucked in under the dropping ball, bide their time and hit the periphery at a sprint, rather than standing static below it. But to an extent its understandable as they see their marker a few yards ahead of them and want to get in ahead of them, invariably too early and are then static when the ball finally does break and more often than not we're too small to compete.

It's one of those many things than need worked on in the training field.

saffron89

lots of goals in cushendall my sources tell me

cushendall concede 5 but still win

Campbell had a wild pull and got sent off

great evening for hurling but had to stay with the barby

wouldn't say 9 out of 10 times for the cats

more like 7/10 (as always the voice of reason)

MR2 do you get asked to do intercounty games as a referee or are you approached.  Just tapping into to that vast database if you don't mind.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Dunloy 2-18 st johns 1-17
Another good fast paced game. Though our boys were knackered after 2 games in 2 days.

St. John's look a really good side. Impressed with how they play
hurl like f**k boi!

Na Glinntí Glasa

Just seen the result there.

Cushendall 2-15 ballycastle 5-4

Odd bit of scoring there for ballycastle.
hurl like f**k boi!

Jesusjones

In the Cushendall V Ballycastle game, Ciaran Clarke had a wild pull which Campbell retaliated too and a bit of handbags broke out. No harm done and yellow cards issued which ment Clarke was sent off for 2 yellow cards. Campbell wasn't sent off. Strange game, I though we played by far the better hurling and scored some fantastic points but BC were able to get the goals when they needed them. Matty Donnelly caused a lot of problems at centre forward, when he starts running at a defence how do you stop him?

Na Glinntí Glasa

Matty played centre half against us earlier this season. A real handful to work with physically. As for stopping him? I'm glad I don't have to stand in front him being about 11.5 stone!  Lol
hurl like f**k boi!

NAG1

Quote from: Dunloy realist on June 06, 2013, 08:24:56 AM
Matty played centre half against us earlier this season. A real handful to work with physically. As for stopping him? I'm glad I don't have to stand in front him being about 11.5 stone!  Lol

+1

Think the point with any of the bigger lads, is to stop them at source, not saying it is easy done. But you have to be right there with them to stop them gaining momentum over an 8-10 yard run, by then it is too late and there will be no stopping them.

saffron89

JJONES

Mate had told me campbell got a second yellow for a bad pull on a ballycastle man and was sent off ??????

he also said dall looked better and ballycastle were just able to plunder the goals

heard McGill was taken off before he broke the scoring points from play record or was it is hamstring.  something like 5 points from play in the first 10 mins and then due to injury he was sidelined

Milltown Row2

Quote from: saffron89 on June 05, 2013, 09:31:08 PM
lots of goals in cushendall my sources tell me

cushendall concede 5 but still win

Campbell had a wild pull and got sent off

great evening for hurling but had to stay with the barby

wouldn't say 9 out of 10 times for the cats

more like 7/10 (as always the voice of reason)

MR2 do you get asked to do intercounty games as a referee or are you approached.  Just tapping into to that vast database if you don't mind.

I don't really know what the craic is with that, think you need to be recommended and then you have a different exam and fitness test to do. Whether I'd be up for that is another thing (a lot of traveling), there are better games in Div 1 than there would be a some levels at intercounty. Never say never I suppose. Enjoyed the div 4 game last night in fact, plenty heart (and gurning) with some decent fielding and scores taken. Fitness levels completely different though so executing basic skills (that they have) becomes more difficult and its a more conjested playing area
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Jesusjones

Saffron89 Your mate must have got it wrong. Aye Mc Gill started like a house on fire, knocking points over from all over the place and it was great to see him back on form. If he put his mind to it he would be on the county panel. He pulled up after scoring the 4th point and between getting injured and us getting a sub ready he banged over another point. 5 in 10 mins was some going. Ballycastle were disappointing, we conceeded some very poor goals that kept them in the game but for once this season we dominated the play and posession. We might be starting to come good????????????

north aontroim gael

From watching the two games against us last week I'd have Dunloy as slight favourites if they met Cushendall right now in the Championship.  Still plenty of time for both teams to tweak things if they do meet.

Why was Paul Shiels not playing against Loughgiel?