Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

north aontroim gael

Good win for Loughgiel last night considering a few absentees as pointed out by SIE.  Loughgiel offered more of a scoring threat from play which got them over the line.  Being able to bring Eddie on for the last 10 minutes also crucial.

Good performances from a few of Loughgiels lighter/speedier forwards in Shay, Donal and Seamy.  Cushendalls young number 7 (not sure of name) looks a good hurler.

Thought the referee was very whistle happy (for both teams) so it was a bit stop start at times.

NAG1

Does set the Dunloy - Loughgiel game up well for Monday night, interesting to see if LG get some of their players back for that one or of the rotation policy continues.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: north aontroim gael on May 30, 2013, 09:03:12 AM
Good win for Loughgiel last night considering a few absentees as pointed out by SIE.  Loughgiel offered more of a scoring threat from play which got them over the line.  Being able to bring Eddie on for the last 10 minutes also crucial.

Good performances from a few of Loughgiels lighter/speedier forwards in Shay, Donal and Seamy.  Cushendalls young number 7 (not sure of name) looks a good hurler.

Thought the referee was very whistle happy (for both teams) so it was a bit stop start at times.

These games can get a bit fiesty so maybe he was just ensuring that the wee slaps and pulls don't turn out to be worse later on, once you lose control it's very hard to get it back I feel. League games are defo refereed different than Championship I think, they shouldn't but are
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NAG1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 30, 2013, 10:08:57 AM

These games can get a bit fiesty so maybe he was just ensuring that the wee slaps and pulls don't turn out to be worse later on, once you lose control it's very hard to get it back I feel. League games are defo refereed different than Championship I think, they shouldn't but are

Not going to get into a slagging match, but as far as I can see a lot of our refs can spot the small technical fouls no problem, but are still allowing the dangerous swinging and pulling even if its not close to the ball. A bug bear of mine admittedly but I think that is what frustrates people when they see this contrast.

btdtgtt

I agree fully with this point MR2 - but it doesnt make it right.

Refs should referree by the rulebook - not by teams or players.

If its getting called right the rest will look after itself - refs putting their own slant on games can create more problems.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: NAG1 on May 30, 2013, 10:14:59 AM

Not going to get into a slagging match, but as far as I can see a lot of our refs can spot the small technical fouls no problem, but are still allowing the dangerous swinging and pulling even if its not close to the ball. A bug bear of mine admittedly but I think that is what frustrates people when they see this contrast.

The slaps, or as a player puts it "I was trying to swipe the ball as he grabbed it" It's a foul. If I were to blow it all the time then there are some teams out there that would be complaining a lot. If the player gets the ball the referee can decide to let the play unfold and play advantage. Some referees will blow right away others will (as to the rule book) allow play to develop. No one wrong here. He could go back and book player if it's real bad but usually they don't.

As for the early high pulling NAG1, it's very hard to get it right. It's great when both players want the ball but usually (after some niggling) a player will pull early, it's up to the referee to interpret that and blow. But it really needs to be blatant. The pull early and low ones are easier to call.

Quote from: btdtgtt on May 30, 2013, 10:19:32 AM

If its getting called right the rest will look after itself - refs putting their own slant on games can create more problems.

I never said it was right btdtgtt, but as I said above, the advantage rule can be applied
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NAG1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 30, 2013, 10:32:44 AM
Quote from: NAG1 on May 30, 2013, 10:14:59 AM

The slaps, or as a player puts it "I was trying to swipe the ball as he grabbed it" It's a foul. If I were to blow it all the time then there are some teams out there that would be complaining a lot. If the player gets the ball the referee can decide to let the play unfold and play advantage. Some referees will blow right away others will (as to the rule book) allow play to develop. No one wrong here. He could go back and book player if it's real bad but usually they don't.

As for the early high pulling NAG1, it's very hard to get it right. It's great when both players want the ball but usually (after some niggling) a player will pull early, it's up to the referee to interpret that and blow. But it really needs to be blatant. The pull early and low ones are easier to call.

Quote from: btdtgtt on May 30, 2013, 10:19:32 AM

I never said it was right btdtgtt, but as I said above, the advantage rule can be applied

MR2 not having a dig at you and I know you are doing a good job without much thanks, but my point is that actually this is one of the easier ones to spot, plus the fact that it is one of the more dangerous ones makes it really important to pull up. IMO it is the action of a gutless hurler who is trying to get his strike in first before he might get one back.

Its all about body positions and watching the players as the ball is dropping.

As you said league and championship are two different levels and everyone expects that championship hurling is played at and refereed at a different level to a normal Wednesday night game.

north aontroim gael

To be honest MR2 that was my opinion of it as well.  Rather than have any melees break out he was blowing up early and there was obvious frustration from both sides of the pitch on a number of occassions.

The match was a tough one bt no dirty slaps.  The Cushendall fullback line and our FF line were taking a good few drives at each other off the ball but never looked like getting out of hand.

north aontroim gael

Quote from: NAG1 on May 30, 2013, 09:33:23 AM
Does set the Dunloy - Loughgiel game up well for Monday night, interesting to see if LG get some of their players back for that one or of the rotation policy continues.

A number of these changes were forced.  Neil McGarry is on holidays and I'm not sure if he's back for Monday.  Eddie, Skinner, Ronan and Benny had all been carrying injuries going into the game but I dont know enough to comment upon their availability for Monday.  Eddie did look sharp when he came on.  A. Graffin is fast on his feet but Eddie left him for dead at a time in the second half to score a point from a tight angle.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: north aontroim gael on May 30, 2013, 11:19:57 AM

To be honest MR2 that was my opinion of it as well.  Rather than have any melees break out he was blowing up early and there was obvious frustration from both sides of the pitch on a number of occassions.

The match was a tough one bt no dirty slaps.  The Cushendall fullback line and our FF line were taking a good few drives at each other off the ball but never looked like getting out of hand.

The referee is between a rock and a hard place. That's traditionally a meaty affair as is Monday nights game. Haven't done a game like that so don't know how I'd handle it in fairness. I would usually take it as it comes we no preconceived views on things. The best way to referee it is to be consistant and be beside each incident/tackle as best as you can. Near on impossible sometimes in hurling as the ball can be struck 60/70 yards, so knowing styles of play from the teams is important. Hard work being a ref  :P

Leyland

We have had a decent run recently after a poor start to the league. For first time in as long while we are throwing up some big scores, although to be fair portaferry where hindered by county men's exploits and glenariffe are just struggling. However after two decades on failure it warms the heart to see a bit of real class in our club. But always a warning sign with our lads. It's only june and a lot of hurling to be played before Sept. On another positive note we are sitting top of reserve league, which coupled with winning reserve championship last year is some step forward from where we were. I just hope we push on and are realistic that we have a young squad who need developing.

Elsewhere dunloy seem to have found form again, and shorty is getting back to his best. I always thought he was a magic player. Great to watch. Will def take in there game with shams on Monday.

Loughgiel however Will take sum beating over next 2 or 3 years......they have a bit of depth to panel.

btdtgtt

Always been a great championship club leyland - glad to see the town competitive again and speaks volumes for the calibre of club men there.
Agree with you though - just don't see anyone toppling the shamrocks with their strength in depth. 

NAG1

Quote from: Leyland on May 30, 2013, 09:09:23 PM
We have had a decent run recently after a poor start to the league. For first time in as long while we are throwing up some big scores, although to be fair portaferry where hindered by county men's exploits and glenariffe are just struggling. However after two decades on failure it warms the heart to see a bit of real class in our club. But always a warning sign with our lads. It's only june and a lot of hurling to be played before Sept. On another positive note we are sitting top of reserve league, which coupled with winning reserve championship last year is some step forward from where we were. I just hope we push on and are realistic that we have a young squad who need developing.

Elsewhere dunloy seem to have found form again, and shorty is getting back to his best. I always thought he was a magic player. Great to watch. Will def take in there game with shams on Monday.

Loughgiel however Will take sum beating over next 2 or 3 years......they have a bit of depth to panel.

In fairness I think we should nearly discount any results against the Ards boys until they are done with the CR. A better indicator of form will be the results between the 4 North Antrim clubs and only then if they are playing with a full deck or close to it.

CastleCamog

Any word yet on U21 Championship final - when it will be fixed for?

saffron89

yeah would like to find that out

last year it was one of the best games

should be a cracker this year with st johns and ballycastle  (2 good teams)