Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glensman

Quote from: hardstation on May 19, 2013, 12:15:18 AM
Think it's unfair to say that he is happy we were beat. Let's not forget that some of his clubmates were playing. Criticising the set up doesn't mean you want the other team to win.

It's nothing like Milltown Row actively supporting Donegal against us in 2009. :)

Let's hear what the criticism of the set up is then not just a "it's a joke".

Was listening as well and despite the biased commentary it sounded dire.

Comments from someone at the game:
To many anonymous forwards that were at the game.
Only a couple competing for the catch.
Three different free takers. (Radio at one point (was cutting in and out) said McManus wasn't on them.
Why do we take any short puck out into contact?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on May 19, 2013, 12:15:18 AM
Think it's unfair to say that he is happy we were beat. Let's not forget that some of his clubmates were playing. Criticising the set up doesn't mean you want the other team to win.

It's nothing like Milltown Row actively supporting Donegal against us in 2009. :)

Tongue was fairly in cheek hardstation ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

optimus cheese

Poor showing tonight, the ball wasn't sticking in attack. Laois had done their homework and we couldn't manage to work out how to break them down. We are short of a few forwards, a glaring problem

theskull1

SIE is playing politics instead of supporting the team because hes motivated by some points he's trying to score. A little bit more maturity wouldn't go amiss for all those 25 years hes talking about.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Seamroga in exile

Utter tripe skull and nah. What I've posted on here about antrim over the past couple of years has all been proven to be true. This time will be no exception.

I agree with you all about Winker and his attitude towards antrim. It's infuriating and frustrating to say the least. But I'll ask you this, are we as a county strong enough to leave him out? We don't have many, if any, major game changers. He is most definitely that. The only other hurler in antrim that I can see with that potential is young Shanebo. Again, obviously flawed in certain areas but undoubtedly a great talent. To put it simply, he has to play. As do all our best hurlers.

The constant appointing of outside managers is hurting antrim hurling. I don't get this fixation myself. It doesn't work. Most southerers haven't a clue about the clubs and hurlers up here and rely on the word of certain individuals within the set up . I find this to be poor practise, amateurish at best. What's needed is someone in control who knows the players, goes to matches from February to October. I'm therefore throwing my hat in the ring after Ryan walks this summer.  ;)
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: hardstation on May 19, 2013, 02:14:46 AM
Jesus fcuk, lads! Had SIE been in Portlaoise tonight wrapped in 20 Antrim flags, it wouldn't have mattered a flying fcuk.
He said before the game that the set up is a joke.
We lost the game.
He still thinks the set up is a joke.

I don't know if he is right or wrong but we're hardly flying.

The knives are out in Dunloy/Cushendall anyway.
Nothing new there HS.

theskull1

I would rather lose every time with a committed united panel than have to work with fly by night agitators. I could be wrong but I think that the players would prefer this as well

This gross simplification of calling "the antrim setup" a joke is seriously offensive to those who gave everything to Antrims cause.

Seems there's a few on this board whod rather pander to talent with commitment issues in the naive hope of some short term gain.

And BTW SIE.....nice of you to acknowledge after several days of silence the valid points that were being made about LWs attitude and commitment over the years and the impacts that had on the panels he was meant to be part of. People from outside LG rightly don't have the same patience

Seamroga in exile

If you're happy with the downward spiral we're currently in then we should proceed with the status quo. Personally I'd rather have a chance of beating Laois than playing them with a weakened panel. We all have different opinions skull, neither is right or wrong but apart from a shock win in the Walsh cup over a weakened Kilkenny side a few years back we've had nothing to shout about for 20 years. That isn't progress.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on May 19, 2013, 11:05:38 AM
If you're happy with the downward spiral we're currently in then we should proceed with the status quo. Personally I'd rather have a chance of beating Laois than playing them with a weakened panel. We all have different opinions skull, neither is right or wrong but apart from a shock win in the Walsh cup over a weakened Kilkenny side a few years back we've had nothing to shout about for 20 years. That isn't progress.

Criteria for new manager:

An Antrim man
Someone who knows the scene
An ex county player though not essential
Someone who can talk to the players and command respect
A motivator
Someone who can get two types of trainers, one who'll knock fcuk out them preseason the other who'll organise the drills
A past club manager who's willing to bring in tactics and play players in their true positions

Oh I'm not looking rid of Ryan, just when his time runs out
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

optimus cheese

Greg O'Kane and PJ O'Mullan Sr are Antrim men who are part of the management set-up no? Would think KR knows exactly the ins and out of Antrim club bitching/rivalry. Think our problem is that we just don't have enough top-class players at the moment. The players are giving their all and it seems a much happier unit this year than last. Yes, yesterday was very disappointing but I don't think after once loss it's time to start freaking out.

theskull1

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on May 19, 2013, 11:05:38 AM

And the downward spiral (your words not mine) is as a result of trying outside managers trying to create united panels.  ::)

Laois and Antrim have been close to other for years now. You should be disappointed rather than shocked. They seem to have bounced back after a few bad years where their attitude (or managerial setup) wasnt up to the mark

If better forward play is needed then that needs to be coached by the clubs and development squads. Sadly we dont have the people across the county prepared to solve at juvenile level what we can see as a problem at senior level sadly. Much easier to snipe.

The players who are there need our praise for their efforts not lazy negativity about their efforts just to score points.

imtommygunn

We are not in a downward spiral SIE. We would like to be beating Laois and the likes but we have no god given right to be beating them and they are a team we have always struggled with so not beating them does not put them in a downward spiral.

Don't forget that under Dinny Cahill we beat Carlow by three and were lucky to do so when we were going well. It's a level we have been at for a long time.

Stop manufacturing a downward spiral to suit an agenda. You mention that you were correct - a stopped clock is correct twice a day.

Glensman

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 19, 2013, 02:50:37 PM
We are not in a downward spiral SIE. We would like to be beating Laois and the likes but we have no god given right to be beating them and they are a team we have always struggled with so not beating them does not put them in a downward spiral.

Don't forget that under Dinny Cahill we beat Carlow by three and were lucky to do so when we were going well. It's a level we have been at for a long time.

Stop manufacturing a downward spiral to suit an agenda. You mention that you were correct - a stopped clock is correct twice a day.

Agree a downward spiral suggests we were somewhere. The only time in recent years when we "were somewhere"...only time we may have been was under Dinny, an outside manager.

A weakened panel? Who is not there bar Watson and maybe Hippy who has chosen not to be, despite whether he may be injured.

Please clarify what the setup being "a joke" is? The knives are out and you're not clarifying why. Quite a few men have put alot of effort in over the last number of months and you're pretty much belittling it. If the same was done post LG's loss v St Thomas, which it wasn't, there would have been uproar.

Seamroga in exile

The fact remains that there's something seriously wrong, it's been that way for 20 + years. I'd love to know what the solution is from all you experts.

Minder

Glenariffe beat Rossa by a point.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"