Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on May 10, 2013, 11:02:36 PM
Quote from: saffron89 on May 10, 2013, 07:04:21 PM
Quote from: Seamroga in exile on May 10, 2013, 04:08:51 PM
Winker playing midfield so far this year has been a great move. One I suggested early last year for antrim to the amusement of others on this thread.  ;)

why the shamrocks haven't taken him out to midfield more often when he is being well marked is beyond me

the amount of times he has been smothered against cushendall, and then the big lift it gives them when they clear it away from him !!!!!

it is a good plan if he isn't doing the damage like he inevitably does sometimes

ie all Ireland final
I always thought that midfield was made for him, but a lad of the talent he has can change a game in blink of an eye up in around the square. I've a feeling him and Tony could be quite a combination in the middle.

Against better opposition would Winker be disciplined enough to mark his own man?

NAG1

Quote from: johnneycool on May 13, 2013, 08:59:37 AM
Quote from: Seamroga in exile on May 10, 2013, 11:02:36 PM
Quote from: saffron89 on May 10, 2013, 07:04:21 PM
Quote from: Seamroga in exile on May 10, 2013, 04:08:51 PM
Winker playing midfield so far this year has been a great move. One I suggested early last year for antrim to the amusement of others on this thread.  ;)

why the shamrocks haven't taken him out to midfield more often when he is being well marked is beyond me

the amount of times he has been smothered against cushendall, and then the big lift it gives them when they clear it away from him !!!!!

it is a good plan if he isn't doing the damage like he inevitably does sometimes

ie all Ireland final
I always thought that midfield was made for him, but a lad of the talent he has can change a game in blink of an eye up in around the square. I've a feeling him and Tony could be quite a combination in the middle.

Against better opposition would Winker be disciplined enough to mark his own man?

Same as Joe Canning the further away from the goals he is the better for opposition teams.

johnneycool

Joe normally comes out as a spare man rather than line out there, but agreed, the further away from goal he is the less damage he can do, but if he's standing in on the edge of the square and starved off the ball, what's the point as well, catch 22 situation.

NAG1

Quote from: johnneycool on May 13, 2013, 10:01:33 AM
Joe normally comes out as a spare man rather than line out there, but agreed, the further away from goal he is the less damage he can do, but if he's standing in on the edge of the square and starved off the ball, what's the point as well, catch 22 situation.

Yeah that's the conundrum Galway especially find themselves in more often that not, but if I were them I would leave him at the edge of the square and everyone else's job is to get him the ball, plain and simple.

imtommygunn

Joe Canning can see passes that very few others on a pitch would see though so I don't think moving him out is such a bad thing for Galway.

Winker mainly a score taker so suspect maybe Loughiel would lose a bit if they move him out. They have plenty of other adept midfielders so were it not to work they can just switch him anyway.

Milltown Row2

Loughgiel have plenty forwards to pick from, Winker playing midfield can be a good option he's fit enough for it, he can run at players and create opportunities for other players. Loughgiel have plenty of talent and will only get beat by complacency or a shitty wet night when the other team has a cracking game. 
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

btdtgtt

Quote from: ManInBlackandGreen on May 10, 2013, 06:28:40 PM
Its an absolute farce that the U21 games are being postponed, will we ever learn! 4 subs ensure that 56 other lads don't get competitive hurling, wouldn't happen in Cork or kilkenny FFS. The county ex should hang there heads in shame, suppose football rules ah.

+++++++11111111111

Can't find words to describe how I feel about this!

Seamroga in exile

Tomorrow in the county antrim post winker explains his antrim absence. Can not wait for this one.  ;)
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

NAG1

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on May 13, 2013, 05:48:28 PM
Tomorrow in the county antrim post winker explains his antrim absence. Can not wait for this one.  ;)

Which time?  ;)

Seamroga in exile

A very interesting article.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

clootfromthe21

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on May 14, 2013, 08:05:45 AM

Give us the highlights so?!?!????

Na Glinntí Glasa

took this off the phone there now, heopefully it works
http://imm.io/15XfR
http://imm.io/15Xg7
hurl like f**k boi!

NAG1

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on May 14, 2013, 08:05:45 AM

I must have missed the interesting part SIE

theskull1

Exactly...could someone highlight the interesting bits. As LW euglogised about himself in bars throughout NA and then watched him act the ballecks training wise for years with manys a county squad as he visited those bars, many people including players developed a disrespect for him. As mush as a fully committed LW would be brilliant in theory to the county team (cause on his day he's as good as anyone in Ireland) history tells me that the squad on the whole is better off without him for the reasons I've mentioned.

I'm sure our Lg brethern will jump to his defense and say he is much maligned, but he has brought that upon himself over the years. All we've got from the Antrim post is LW's ego ignoring some harsh truths. I'm sure beneath it all he's a decent enough spud, but people see what people see.

All good for LG though...they'll have a well rested panel for the championship this year
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

north aontroim gael

No massive insight in the article, nothing that wasn't commonly known.

Can't really disagree too much with what has been said by Skull.  In summary:

Liam a terific hurler.
Had commitment issues previously.
Obvious high profile falling out between LW and Cdall contingent over their antics at awards dinner.
Looks like K. Ryan decided it wasn't worth potential hassle / disharmony in camp.
Antrim lose a great hurler but potentially better team/squad morale for it.
Looughgiel the benefit of LW training & playing with them all year.