Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnneycool on May 01, 2013, 11:21:04 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 01, 2013, 11:09:22 AM
Quote from: north_antrim_hound on May 01, 2013, 09:50:13 AM
Quote from: BlackandAmber on May 01, 2013, 08:54:17 AM
Heard that it would have been very close if Dunloy had taken half there chances. Missed a lot of good point scoring chances and a clear goal chance too.  Ciaran Clarke scored 2 goals from 20m frees I heard too.  Think that about 8/9 of that team played U21 last year and they were missing 2 more from injury. A lot of those boys have senior experience too so hopefully they can make a good go of defnding the title.

Yeah match was closer than scoreboard suggest. As said earlier we lost our main free taker to injury, he would have popped over the seven misses easy. We where on top for the first 15 but kept shooting wides. Our boys to Lippy about frees and the ref used every opportunity to massage his ego and moved to ball in for a Clarke special. Ballycastle where more composed and clinical on there build up to scores in the forward lines so well deserved.

You have answered the reason as to why the frees where moved forward, had they have kept quite then this would have resulted in a 3-12 to 0-10 scoreline. So when the referee applies the rules he's massaging his ego? Don't make me laugh it's a hurling game and if someone wanted to massage his ego he'd be doing something completely different than running around the pitch taking abuse.

Answer me this, when a player is lippy to you when you referee a game what would your actions be? The referee committee wanted the ball moved forward 30 yards this year

Getting a yellow card for slabbering at a referee is an awful waste of a yellow card, you might always need it later  ;)

Various players, no need to show yellow cards. There was no more slabbering in the second half so I believe it worked. In fairness to the lads it wasn't the worst I've heard over the years but once one lad starts it seems to be fair game for most.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnneycool

Quote from: theskull1 on May 01, 2013, 11:35:11 AM
Quote from: NAG1 on May 01, 2013, 11:24:24 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 01, 2013, 11:09:22 AM
Quote from: north_antrim_hound on May 01, 2013, 09:50:13 AM
Quote from: BlackandAmber on May 01, 2013, 08:54:17 AM
Heard that it would have been very close if Dunloy had taken half there chances. Missed a lot of good point scoring chances and a clear goal chance too.  Ciaran Clarke scored 2 goals from 20m frees I heard too.  Think that about 8/9 of that team played U21 last year and they were missing 2 more from injury. A lot of those boys have senior experience too so hopefully they can make a good go of defnding the title.

Yeah match was closer than scoreboard suggest. As said earlier we lost our main free taker to injury, he would have popped over the seven misses easy. We where on top for the first 15 but kept shooting wides. Our boys to Lippy about frees and the ref used every opportunity to massage his ego and moved to ball in for a Clarke special. Ballycastle where more composed and clinical on there build up to scores in the forward lines so well deserved.

You have answered the reason as to why the frees where moved forward, had they have kept quite then this would have resulted in a 3-12 to 0-10 scoreline. So when the referee applies the rules he's massaging his ego? Don't make me laugh it's a hurling game and if someone wanted to massage his ego he'd be doing something completely different than running around the pitch taking abuse.

Answer me this, when a player is lippy to you when you referee a game what would your actions be? The referee committee wanted the ball moved forward 30 yards this year

Was it the same player on a number of different occasions MR2? If so did you not feel that a yellow card would have been appropriate and following on maybe a 2nd?

Genuine question

Personally I'd make it 30 yards. Players need to understand that
a) Just because they didnt see any infringement doesn't mean there wasn't one
b) If the referee was duped or simply made a mistake by giving a free .. that's just the way it goes and all the whinging in the world isn't going to stop it...that doesnt mean you cant show a respectful level of annoyance at the decision
c) Once you start blaming the referee for everything, the reality is that you are playing a part in the teams drop in performance. Easy target when the honest reasons why things are going well are just too difficult to accept  (I can thing of several lazy frees we gave away the other night...who do we blame for those?)

I though milltown refereed the game very well indeed. Looked interested and up with the play at all times

And management along the line need to enforce that as its more often than not counterproductive in a referee's attitude to a team and loses focus of the players involved.

There's very few players can question a referees decision during a game without coming over as aggressive and throwing out the expletives all to readily.

Jeepers Creepers

What if your 30 yards from the posts?

btdtgtt

Its 30yards in a more advantagous position - so a free out the wing could be moved in towards the goal.
If it's already on the 21 and straight in front of the goals I would say the Ref would probably use discretion - yellow card is severe abuse, and if not tell the player to clear off.
After all our refs are always entirely courteous themselves arent they!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: btdtgtt on May 01, 2013, 02:03:03 PM
Its 30yards in a more advantagous position - so a free out the wing could be moved in towards the goal.
If it's already on the 21 and straight in front of the goals I would say the Ref would probably use discretion - yellow card is severe abuse, and if not tell the player to clear off.

If the referee moves the ball forward for being lippy then automatically the teams should know (regardless of what they think) that referee will move the ball forward, It's a no brainer (as he massages he's ego,  ;D)

The referee can make mistakes, we all do, but he doesnt set out to do it hurling is the hardest game to referee as the ball gets whacked about 60 yards further if there is a strong wind. I'd covered 4.4 miles the other night, I've a GPS watch and was wondering what distance you'd cover in a game as a referee
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

btdtgtt

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 01, 2013, 02:26:10 PM

If the referee moves the ball forward for being lippy then automatically the teams should know (regardless of what they think) that referee will move the ball forward, It's a no brainer (as he massages he's ego,  ;D)

As regards massaging ego - perhaps a select fe giving the rest a bad name.
Similar story with poor standard of refs - it doesnt apply to all.

Interesting stat with the mileage - you any idea of how much distance covered at the top level?

The referee can make mistakes, we all do, but he doesnt set out to do it hurling is the hardest game to referee as the ball gets whacked about 60 yards further if there is a strong wind. I'd covered 4.4 miles the other night, I've a GPS watch and was wondering what distance you'd cover in a game as a referee

Milltown Row2

Quote from: btdtgtt on May 01, 2013, 02:45:39 PM

Interesting stat with the mileage - you any idea of how much distance covered at the top level?

Non at all, I was just always interested knowing. Will do it in a range of games to get a better idea. Strangely I didn't come off feeling like I'd ran 4.4 miles, far from it. Would like to know what a player covers during a match.

Referees can have bad games too, just like players, my bad game is only round the corner :o

johnneycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 01, 2013, 03:46:36 PM

Non at all, I was just always interested knowing. Will do it in a range of games to get a better idea. Strangely I didn't come off feeling like I'd ran 4.4 miles, far from it. Would like to know what a player covers during a match.

Referees can have bad games too, just like players, my bad game is only round the corner :o

When are you refereeing us and Cushendall??  ;D

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnneycool on May 01, 2013, 04:05:50 PM

When are you refereeing us and Cushendall??  ;D

Soon!!!!!! Sure it's just a bitta craic  ;) 

Skull must have taken the brown envelope out before I got there on Monday, so Johnney, sort it out ;)

north_antrim_hound

Good man mr2
If you weren't doing it on Monday your Certainly giving yourself a rub now. No complaints , I said our lads should t be mouthing so they learned the hard way. Maybe if every ref acted the same they would know better maybe not. That was a bit of crack by the way next time ill put on a few smileys.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Milltown Row2

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on May 01, 2013, 06:17:48 PM
Good man mr2
If you weren't doing it on Monday your Certainly giving yourself a rub now. No complaints , I said our lads should t be mouthing so they learned the hard way. Maybe if every ref acted the same they would know better maybe not. That was a bit of crack by the way next time ill put on a few smileys.

I know, thick skin anyways so in the right job. Listen your right consistency totally required across the board. Players will react that's fine and as long as its within reason then I usually explain and wave it on. Been there done it so I know the craic.

I wonder are they running this off every week?

culchie11

Heard herbie covered 6/7 mile 2 years ago in a all Ireland series match (not sure which comp but was a senior game) the only player who covered more distance than him was chb for the winning team. He had GPS on him that day. National refs have to reach level 17 on a bleep test also to make panel for championship. Mibag could maybe clarify this!

Milltown Row2

BlackandAmber

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 01, 2013, 08:02:58 PM
Quote from: north_antrim_hound on May 01, 2013, 06:17:48 PM
Good man mr2

I know, thick skin anyways so in the right job. Listen your right consistency totally required across the board. Players will react that's fine and as long as its within reason then I usually explain and wave it on. Been there done it so I know the craic.

I wonder are they running this off every week?

Monday 6th May 2013
Friends Of Antrim U21 Hurling Championship
Time    Team 1    Score    Score                  Team 2       
7 30 PM    Ruairí Óg    ---    ---                               Lamh Dhearg                                         
7 30 PM    Naomh Gall    ---    ---                       St Mary's Rasharkin                 
7 30 PM    Na Sairseil/Patrick Sarsfields    ---    ---Mac Uilin CLG             
7 30 PM    Loughgiel Shamrocks    ---    ---         St John's GAC    

http://antrim.gaa.ie/fixtures-results/?countyBoardID=1&fixturesOnly=Y&daysAfter=7

north_antrim_hound

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets