Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

north_antrim_hound

Just reading here on sambos section of Antrim post. No minor manager and not fielding WTF
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

btdtgtt

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on May 01, 2013, 09:00:30 AM
Just reading here on sambos section of Antrim post. No minor manager and not fielding WTF

I think this is made even worse when it's combined with the advances made in other counties.
The fact the people are being paid good full-time salaries during tough economic times.
Why?
Well those other counties made proper appointments!
They also see the bigger picture and go about things in a more professional manner - we have some sub-standard paid officials who for too long have not been held to account becasue our clubs have ensure we will remain the best at senior in Ulster.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: btdtgtt on May 01, 2013, 09:09:07 AM

I think this is made even worse when it's combined with the advances made in other counties.
The fact the people are being paid good full-time salaries during tough economic times.
Why?
Well those other counties made proper appointments!
They also see the bigger picture and go about things in a more professional manner - we have some sub-standard paid officials who for too long have not been held to account becasue our clubs have ensure we will remain the best at senior in Ulster.

Is it me or are all clubs feeling more disenfranchised with the county board than usual.  Us the clubs have to take some responsibility to as there seems to be a lack of interest for the county scene. This is going to rub of on young players and possible managers. Pity we didn't have a strong character at county level to maybe approach the clubs, Ask them what can be done to improve relations. Or maybe that's not the problem at all. Just not enough good will there ( clubs and county )for under age development. I think we have some smashing young hurlers but if they are going to compete we need annual programme every year like Sambo And woody done with shorty, graffin hippy etc at minor level. This is all very sad

johnneycool

Both Derry and Antrim failed to field at minor this weekend I heard from a lad involved with the Down minors.

How did Antrim county board allow that to happen?

Will it be a case of 'it'll be alright on the night' come Ulster minor championship time?

From what I can remember full time coaches are forbidden from taking managerial roles with counties they are coaching in, not sure about the logic, but there might be a good reason for it I'm not aware of it.

Down seems to be getting its structures for underage hurling in place with Gerard McGrattan minor manager and Paul Flynn taking the U-21's along with Stevie McAree from Ballycran. As both Flynn and McAree are involved with the seniors and it being a young panel it makes a bit of sense for a change.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: BlackandAmber on May 01, 2013, 08:54:17 AM
Heard that it would have been very close if Dunloy had taken half there chances. Missed a lot of good point scoring chances and a clear goal chance too.  Ciaran Clarke scored 2 goals from 20m frees I heard too.  Think that about 8/9 of that team played U21 last year and they were missing 2 more from injury. A lot of those boys have senior experience too so hopefully they can make a good go of defnding the title.

Yeah match was closer than scoreboard suggest. As said earlier we lost our main free taker to injury, he would have popped over the seven misses easy. We where on top for the first 15 but kept shooting wides. Our boys to Lippy about frees and the ref used every opportunity to massage his ego and moved to ball in for a Clarke special. Ballycastle where more composed and clinical on there build up to scores in the forward lines so well deserved.

NAG1

Putting structures in place is exactly what our paid Development/ Officials are in place to do. Their job is not to be out coaching 24/7 but putting in place things to actually help the coaches who are on the ground, improve them and recognise the work that they put in.

Development of correct competitions structures and development squads is a key part of this which is being neglected but that takes leadership and it is sadly lacking in this respect, from both Antrim and Ulster level.

theskull1

We have difficulty getting our young lads to go to development squads ..... if their mates aren't going then then dont want to go .... bottom line is that it requires the parents of these talented kids to back it up and be prepared to get their lad to training and commit to the dev squad system

The biggest problem in Antrim is we don't have enough bodies who are prepared to put the shoulder to the wheel. Criticism of poor leadership may very well be warranted but its the boys who decide to leave others to flounder rather than choose to get involved who are the real problem. The club/county has become a badge of allegiance/convenience for a lot of bluffers. Wear the jersey down the pub but do feck all to help it thrive
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: NAG1 on May 01, 2013, 09:59:49 AM
Putting structures in place is exactly what are paid Development/ Officials are in place to do. Their job is not to be out coaching 24/7 but putting in place things to actually help the coaches who are on the ground, improve them and recognise the work that they put in.

Development of correct competitions structures and development squads is a key part of this which is being neglected but that takes leadership and it is sadly lacking in this respect, from both Antrim and Ulster level.

Yes that's all true but what I would like to know is. If we ever got a CB that was more proactive with the clubs about sorting the problem. Would the clubs respond as club attitude towards county teams are not as positive as better counties. I do t think we can draw direct comparisons with say Kilkenny as there minors can participate in all club activities and county because they half an our away max from training, challenge and matches. Our lads spend more time on buses than they do hurling. So we need different structures. We can moan about the CB presently because they are not doing a good job but what if they came with a good plan, is there enough good will to implement it at club and college activities expense

NAG1

Quote from: theskull1 on May 01, 2013, 10:20:18 AM
We have difficulty getting our young lads to go to development squads ..... if their mates aren't going then then dont want to go .... bottom line is that it requires the parents of these talented kids to back it up and be prepared to get their lad to training and commit to the dev squad system

The biggest problem in Antrim is we don't have enough bodies who are prepared to put the shoulder to the wheel. Criticism of poor leadership may very well be warranted but its the boys who decide to leave others to flounder rather than choose to get involved who are the real problem. The club/county has become a badge of allegiance/convenience for a lot of bluffers. Wear the jersey down the pub but do feck all to help it thrive

Would agree Skull but the fact that these squads aren't valued partly is to do with the leadership, making them worthwhile places to go to and be involved in. Obviously we need parents/ volunteers to help in this process but there is a distinct lack of investment as well.

btdtgtt

Quote from: NAG1 on May 01, 2013, 09:59:49 AM
Putting structures in place is exactly what our paid Development/ Officials are in place to do. Their job is not to be out coaching 24/7 but putting in place things to actually help the coaches who are on the ground, improve them and recognise the work that they put in.

+1

Milltown Row2

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on May 01, 2013, 09:50:13 AM
Heard that it would have been very close if Dunloy had taken half there chances. Missed a lot of good point scoring chances and a clear goal chance too.  Ciaran Clarke scored 2 goals from 20m frees I heard too.  Think that about 8/9 of that team played U21 last year and they were missing 2 more from injury. A lot of those boys have senior experience too so hopefully they can make a good go of defnding the title.

Yeah match was closer than scoreboard suggest. As said earlier we lost our main free taker to injury, he would have popped over the seven misses easy. We where on top for the first 15 but kept shooting wides. Our boys to Lippy about frees and the ref used every opportunity to massage his ego and moved to ball in for a Clarke special. Ballycastle where more composed and clinical on there build up to scores in the forward lines so well deserved.

You have answered the reason as to why the frees where moved forward, had they have kept quite then this would have resulted in a 3-12 to 0-10 scoreline. So when the referee applies the rules he's massaging his ego? Don't make me laugh it's a hurling game and if someone wanted to massage his ego he'd be doing something completely different than running around the pitch taking abuse.

Answer me this, when a player is lippy to you when you referee a game what would your actions be? The referee committee wanted the ball moved forward 30 yards this year
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

theskull1

johnneycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 01, 2013, 11:09:22 AM

You have answered the reason as to why the frees where moved forward, had they have kept quite then this would have resulted in a 3-12 to 0-10 scoreline. So when the referee applies the rules he's massaging his ego? Don't make me laugh it's a hurling game and if someone wanted to massage his ego he'd be doing something completely different than running around the pitch taking abuse.

Answer me this, when a player is lippy to you when you referee a game what would your actions be? The referee committee wanted the ball moved forward 30 yards this year

Getting a yellow card for slabbering at a referee is an awful waste of a yellow card, you might always need it later  ;)

NAG1

Was it the same player on a number of different occasions MR2? If so did you not feel that a yellow card would have been appropriate and following on maybe a 2nd?

Genuine question

theskull1

Quote from: NAG1 on May 01, 2013, 11:24:24 AM

Was it the same player on a number of different occasions MR2? If so did you not feel that a yellow card would have been appropriate and following on maybe a 2nd?

Genuine question

Personally I'd make it 30 yards. Players need to understand that
a) Just because they didnt see any infringement doesn't mean there wasn't one
b) If the referee was duped or simply made a mistake by giving a free .. that's just the way it goes and all the whinging in the world isn't going to stop it...that doesnt mean you cant show a respectful level of annoyance at the decision
c) Once you start blaming the referee for everything, the reality is that you are playing a part in the teams drop in performance. Easy target when the honest reasons why things are going well are just too difficult to accept  (I can think of several lazy frees we gave away the other night...who do we blame for those?)

I though milltown refereed the game very well indeed. Looked interested and up with the play at all times