Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

How's the weather around the rest of the county outside the Glens do you think Mondays fixtures will be affected. pitches wil be wet and heavy with thaw

saffron89

you should be used to the puzzlement by now MR2

But like i say the Breadgh gaa nite with guest speakers would provide you a platform and there is only a few of us that would need a translator !!!!!!!!!!!!! :P

division 1a and 1b extremely competitive and every game now seems to be very important

it can only be good for the standard of hurling

Milltown Row2

Quote from: saffron89 on March 27, 2013, 10:35:21 PM
you should be used to the puzzlement by now MR2

But like i say the Breadgh gaa nite with guest speakers would provide you a platform and there is only a few of us that would need a translator !!!!!!!!!!!!! :P
division 1a and 1b extremely competitive and every game now seems to be very important

it can only be good for the standard of hurling

Ulster Scots?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

btdtgtt

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on March 27, 2013, 06:42:22 PM
How's the weather around the rest of the county outside the Glens do you think Mondays fixtures will be affected. pitches wil be wet and heavy with thaw

I would think the city pitches would be fine by Monday (except hannahstown).
What about the glens pitches?

johnneycool

Quote from: btdtgtt on March 28, 2013, 11:15:14 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on March 27, 2013, 06:42:22 PM

I would think the city pitches would be fine by Monday (except hannahstown).
What about the glens pitches?

Our pitch is holding up pretty well considering a quarter of it was under water last saturday. The gang mower was on it yesterday and if there's no real heavy showers it'll be good to go on monday.

Hurler24

Just in reply to the earlier thread about underage teams.You only need 3-4 each year to have a panel.However as it was with Crossmaglen it can take one team that wins the whole way up to reinvigorate a clubs senior set up. St Johns and ourselves are both in this boat.In regard to hardstation Ballycastles youth setup has come full circle.We compete in nearly every age division and have won three U21s in the past 6/7 years.Not bad for a club with poor underage structures.

Seamroga in exile

Jesus, this referee really hates us.same as last year against limerick, he's handed Offaly this game on a plate. Disgrace. If you follow young hippy on twitter he's summed it up perfectly.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on March 31, 2013, 04:30:40 PM
Jesus, this referee really hates us.same as last year against limerick, he's handed Offaly this game on a plate. Disgrace. If you follow young hippy on twitter he's summed it up perfectly.

+1 after last year i knew if it was close near the end he would shaft us. them biffos for big men sure go down easy and do some rolling about. well done to the ref he was the best offaly player on the pitch
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

optimus cheese

I feel physically sick over that today. Absolutely shafted. Hurling is a physical game yet that one today, it was played in a good spirit, hard and fair, not a dirty stroke pulled. But those frees just defy logic. Crazy.
At four up with 15 to play, Kelly gives Offaly a nothing free, helps them steady, gifted them a way back in. True, we didn't score for the last 15, but our cause wasn't helped by a referee willing to blow for nothing in favour of Offaly while letting them away with blatant trips and fouls as we tried to build from the back and at midfield. The penalty that wasn't awarded when Carson seemed well inside when dragged back.
One thing sticks in my head - giving out the Limerick v Wexford score seemed to galvanize Offaly a bit, forced them to up their game a bit, an error I think from announcer, almost seemed a turning point in a way.
Still - loads of positives. Shorty, McCrory and McManus were phenomenal. The whole team - honest endeavor, hooking, blocking, physically stood up. Really think these lads, given some time to develop, can do good things.
Maybe a playoff against Carlow, competitive game in two weeks, might be a good thing to keep it ticking over ahead of Westmeath in Championship.
No doubt we are moving in the right direction, Championship now starts on April 14.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: optimus cheese on March 31, 2013, 07:17:58 PM
I feel physically sick over that today. Absolutely shafted. Hurling is a physical game yet that one today, it was played in a good spirit, hard and fair, not a dirty stroke pulled. But those frees just defy logic. Crazy.
At four up with 15 to play, Kelly gives Offaly a nothing free, helps them steady, gifted them a way back in. True, we didn't score for the last 15, but our cause wasn't helped by a referee willing to blow for nothing in favour of Offaly while letting them away with blatant trips and fouls as we tried to build from the back and at midfield. The penalty that wasn't awarded when Carson seemed well inside when dragged back.
One thing sticks in my head - giving out the Limerick v Wexford score seemed to galvanize Offaly a bit, forced them to up their game a bit, an error I think from announcer, almost seemed a turning point in a way.
Still - loads of positives. Shorty, McCrory and McManus were phenomenal. The whole team - honest endeavor, hooking, blocking, physically stood up. Really think these lads, given some time to develop, can do good things.
Maybe a playoff against Carlow, competitive game in two weeks, might be a good thing to keep it ticking over ahead of Westmeath in Championship.
No doubt we are moving in the right direction, Championship now starts on April 14.

Will be a harder game against Carlow next time out, I'd say Carlow didn't show their hand last week
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Seamroga in exile

I fancy this Antrim team to beat Carlow. 6 or 7 points.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

optimus cheese

True, the football was absolutely horrible. But still, those frees blown played a major part. Not even scorable, but allowed their forwards to turn ball over and keep the game in that half of the field. Thought young fella, Jackson McGreevy had a fine game, will improve and made odd mistake but looks the real deal. Last ten was crying out for a Karl Stewart in the middle to win some ball. Feel good about our hurlers, really do, a work in progress but going in the right direction. I take it Carlow will be a neutral venue, Parnell?

BlackandAmber

Not the first time Kelly screwed Antrim over. did the same last year when Antrim played Limerick just did it early to knock the heart out of Antrim. He should never be allowed to ref an Antrim game again. He'd be a **** but a **** can be useful

optimus cheese

I remember that game last year. Limerick people almost embarrassed about the decisions. His performance could see Antrim relegated today, that's not right. The majority of those frees - would hey have been awarded during the KK v Cork game? No chance. Even the last free to put Offaly two up in injury time, looked like Graffin made a great challenge

btdtgtt

Fully agree with all point on the red today. Right from the start he seemed determined to slant the game towards Offaly. Is it bias? Is it bred into him that southerners deserve better? Who knows? But one thing for sure is that he favoured Offaly from the first minute to the last. Dubious calls and and anybody who says a ref cannot alter the result is on a different planet!
Yes we faded badly at the end but when against the breeze the tiredness can be exploited more especially when ever call is going against us.

I would think we should beat Carlow although we'll need a greater variety of scores than just Neil's frees.

Off work until Wednesday so more hurling tomorrow!
I'm off to Rossa park then milltown (don't tell the wife!). 
Simon mccrory's performance today makes me favour the johnnies and I think galls have too much for sarsfields. But I am hoping for to hard & close games to give credence to city hurling.