Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seamroga in exile

I fancy kk today by 5 or 6 points.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

manballandall

Gorts from what I hear have had a serious exodus of players, a few to rossa and a few to o donnells.

Last Man

Quote from: tom moore83 on March 17, 2013, 10:15:44 AM
mc manus is a glorified free taker. Explain what he has ever done for antrim

What has the cork game got to do with watson being asked onto the antrim panel

Ask anyone from the south who would they want on their team watson or mc manus

simple answer watson
as a fan of neither if theres one player in this debate who wants to cop himself on and who has only ever teased us with his potential then its LW.  He has treated the game with contempt for too long!

imtommygunn

Quote from: Last Man on March 17, 2013, 05:03:27 PM
Quote from: tom moore83 on March 17, 2013, 10:15:44 AM
mc manus is a glorified free taker. Explain what he has ever done for antrim

What has the cork game got to do with watson being asked onto the antrim panel

Ask anyone from the south who would they want on their team watson or mc manus

simple answer watson
as a fan of neither if theres one player in this debate who wants to cop himself on and who has only ever teased us with his potential then its LW.  He has treated the game with contempt for too long!

If you think all mcmanus has ever done for antrim is hit a few frees then i think it's very unlikely you know very much about hurling! Wise up.

This thread is getting embarassing.

Sleeping giant

Scrapy enough in croker today. Thought St Thomas would have won by more. Is it just me or did the pitch look poor?   Poor reds also. 
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.

Gizzy15

not like me to agree with you but poor pitch poor match and defo the first red for a weak slap on the elbow was again poor. Match was bad because of conditions, as on their day they seem to be two very good teams, because of this it lacked anything memorable. of all the Semis and finals this year the watson 21 yard free in the drawn game was the only spark. think the smaller clubs getting through made it hard (esp Final) to really get a Big Match day feel about it.... Only mw?????

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Gizzy15 on March 20, 2013, 01:13:16 AM
not like me to agree with you but poor pitch poor match and defo the first red for a weak slap on the elbow was again poor. Match was bad because of conditions, as on their day they seem to be two very good teams, because of this it lacked anything memorable. of all the Semis and finals this year the watson 21 yard free in the drawn game was the only spark. think the smaller clubs getting through made it hard (esp Final) to really get a Big Match day feel about it.... Only mw?????

With the two Dub games played on a heavy pitch the night before it was always going to be a shit pitch.

They aren't small clubs now I suppose and I don't think that will be the last we'll see of St'Thomas's. Both semi finals were great games, K-K were outstanding against Thurles who weren't allowed to showcase their obvious skills
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

btdtgtt

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 20, 2013, 08:54:24 AM

With the two Dub games played on a heavy pitch the night before it was always going to be a shit pitch.

They aren't small clubs now I suppose and I don't think that will be the last we'll see of St'Thomas's. Both semi finals were great games, K-K were outstanding against Thurles who weren't allowed to showcase their obvious skills

I would agree with that.
Maybe it is changing times - we've recently seen the Athenry/Birr & several Clare sides drop down the order in favour of Portumna and Ballyhale for example. Perhaps now another shift is happening.
Club teams are never going to stay at the top as long as county sides - its a different animal.
After all - our club sides generally fare much better in All-Ireland semis than the county team!
Whats the club finals did show for me however was the enduring appeal of club hurling (and football).
So without sounding like a broken record - I think the GAA need to give it more prominence in the calender.

NAG1

Quote from: btdtgtt on March 20, 2013, 09:14:09 AM

I would agree with that.
Maybe it is changing times - we've recently seen the Athenry/Birr & several Clare sides drop down the order in favour of Portumna and Ballyhale for example. Perhaps now another shift is happening.
Club teams are never going to stay at the top as long as county sides - its a different animal.
After all - our club sides generally fare much better in All-Ireland semis than the county team!
Whats the club finals did show for me however was the enduring appeal of club hurling (and football).
So without sounding like a broken record - I think the GAA need to give it more prominence in the calender.

You wont see the dominance of the big clubs any longer because the demand on their players is so intense, if some of these teams have a young joe canning, he is going to be playing ball for college, county and club and that eventually will take its toll on the club, stopping them from dominating in maybe the way they could have previously.

Also emigration is having massive impact on clubs in the south and is probably one of the major factors as to why there has been maybe a slight drop in the standard of teams progressing in the past 3-4 years. (Not intended in any way as a dig to any one)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: NAG1 on March 20, 2013, 10:16:20 AM
Quote from: btdtgtt on March 20, 2013, 09:14:09 AM

I would agree with that.

You wont see the dominance of the big clubs any longer because the demand on their players is so intense, if some of these teams have a young joe canning, he is going to be playing ball for college, county and club and that eventually will take its toll on the club, stopping them from dominating in maybe the way they could have previously.

Also emigration is having massive impact on clubs in the south and is probably one of the major factors as to why there has been maybe a slight drop in the standard of teams progressing in the past 3-4 years. (Not intended in any way as a dig to any one)

Emigration probably a factor but it's swings and roundabouts, these big clubs will still win their county championships every so often. After Loughgiel lose they will rebuild and have another crack at it. In the meantime Cushendall, Ballycastle may dominate along with Dunloy for a period.

We won't keep winning the football and Cross will eventually lose out in Armagh but will come back again for sure. Kilmacud and Ballyboden will win in Dublin and Ballyhale, James Stephens will be winning county titles soon enough in Kilkenny.

Plenty more examples I don't think the standard has dropped though. The speed of hurling and the fitness levels have improved, the football final was as good as it gets so it's improved also. I we watch a club final of ten plus years ago I'd say it's the same standard or better now.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Na Glinntí Glasa

spot on MR2. every club has its cycles. we had ours for a period as did cushendall. lgiel are the form team but that wont last as players move on its not as easy to replace them.

it will be someone else, maybe ballycastle? who knows
hurl like f**k boi!

johnneycool

Quote from: Dunloy realist on March 21, 2013, 08:46:51 AM
spot on MR2. every club has its cycles. we had ours for a period as did cushendall. lgiel are the form team but that wont last as players move on its not as easy to replace them.

it will be someone else, maybe ballycastle? who knows

Prior to Dunloys senior domination was a juvenile domination as well for a good few years, Loughgeil had it for a few years as well. St Johns have one set of players who have dominated to an extent at U-14 to minor, but one group is never enough to make an impact at senior level. It needs to be sustained and it's hard to sustain the work required at juvenile level as the true rewards won't be seen for several years.

theskull1

Quote from: johnneycool on March 21, 2013, 09:11:52 AM
Prior to Dunloys senior domination was a juvenile domination as well for a good few years, Loughgeil had it for a few years as well. St Johns have one set of players who have dominated to an extent at U-14 to minor, but one group is never enough to make an impact at senior level. It needs to be sustained and it's hard to sustain the work required at juvenile level as the true rewards won't be seen for several years.

The johnnies have had a fairly good record at minor level going back a fair few years JC. I'm sure they're trying to address the hemorrhaging that takes place between 18 and 21
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Milltown Row2

Quote from: theskull1 on March 21, 2013, 09:58:31 AM

The johnnies have had a fairly good record at minor level going back a fair few years JC. I'm sure they're trying to address the hemorrhaging drinking that takes place between 18 and 21

Fairhead

Quote from: hardstation on March 21, 2013, 10:10:11 AM
Quote from: theskull1 on March 21, 2013, 09:58:31 AM

The johnnies have had a fairly good record at minor level going back a fair few years JC. I'm sure they're trying to address the hemorrhaging that takes place between 18 and 21
1981, 2004, 2011, 2012

They were also runners up in 03, 05 and 2010 so they have been in 6 of the last 10 county minor finals.

Ballycastle dominated N Antrim underage hurling in the 70s which translated in to senior titles in the 70's and 80's. Dunloy dominated underage in the 80's and had another Feile title in the early 90's and look what they translated that in to at senior. L'giel won minor and u21 titles at the start of the 2000's and are now the senior champions. Senior hurling is cyclical but the basis of senior success comes from sustained hard work at underage level. Unless your St Johns.........but that may change????