Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: hardstation on February 28, 2013, 10:49:23 AM
Not sure they're going to run with a social club but yeah, they're looking to develop it. Think work is start in a couple of weeks.

As for Casement, I wouldn't like it built at the bottom of my garden either.

Build him a tunnel to the social club and a few snooker tables and he'll be happy enough!

btdtgtt

Especially when it sits empty most of the year!

NAG1

Quote from: btdtgtt on February 28, 2013, 11:51:47 AM
Especially when it sits empty most of the year!

My feeling on it is that it will have to be used, either by the GAA or by concert promoters to make it pay its way. Total madness for a place this size to be building 3 major stadiums but we are past that point now. Now we need to look at how best to use it, how best to use it as an economic driver for that part of Belfast etc.

theskull1

Plenty of big houses round the country going at 30-40% of their value at the top of the market and they're still hard to sell because people understand that running costs is a factor that needs considering.

I think more sensible negotiations should have taken place to build what was needed rather than create a monster that will be really difficult to manage and finance.

The upper echelons of the GAA is becoming more and more like the RC church. They are serving their own interests more and more IMO
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Jeepers Creepers

Heard a whisper an events company are already onboard with the new casement and are rubbing their hands at the thought of it...

theskull1

Ex Antrim footballer?

NAG1

Quote from: theskull1 on February 28, 2013, 12:55:51 PM
Plenty of big houses round the country going at 30-40% of their value at the top of the market and they're still hard to sell because people understand that running costs is a factor that needs considering.

I think more sensible negotiations should have taken place to build what was needed rather than create a monster that will be really difficult to manage and finance.

The upper echelons of the GAA is becoming more and more like the RC church. They are serving their own interests more and more IMO

If the government are stupid enough to offer the GAA the funding to build Casement up then it is they who are the fools and not the GAA. The GAA were on board for the Maze project and were happy for it to go ahead, this did not suit the soccer dogs so the money was the divided up and the 3 stadiums got revamped instead of one new one. If some one comes and offers to build you a brand new house which could help the revenue streams of Antrim and Ulster GAA then who would turn it down?

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on February 28, 2013, 01:04:39 PM
Heard a whisper an events company are already onboard with the new casement and are rubbing their hands at the thought of it...

Well if they are any good then we should all be rubbing our hands together no?

theskull1

Quote from: NAG1 on February 28, 2013, 01:18:20 PM
If some one comes and offers to build you a brand new house which could help the revenue streams of Antrim and Ulster GAA then who would turn it down?

If someone came and offered to build you a brand new huge house for free that you could not sell but had ongoing running/maintenance costs that you could not afford .... you're saying that you would accept the offer?

It may be in the interests of interested parties to encourage you to see it as a no brainer. I'm saying that there are concerns about how this stadium is funded going forward

Jeepers Creepers

'Rubbing our hands' in theory yes. Remember Casement is the new Ulster GAA head quarters not Antrim. It will benefit the area no doubt which I look fwd to. The residents are abit miffed at the finalised plans as they thought the new stadium would be sunken into the ground so that it wouldn't be higher then exsiting. When I spoke to one, she/he near sh*t when they saw the plans. The residents had already agreed to back the 'new' Casement in principle which might have sunk them trying an official residents group objection to the architecture but I believe they are trying to rally the troops...

NAG1

Quote from: theskull1 on February 28, 2013, 01:45:50 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on February 28, 2013, 01:18:20 PM
If some one comes and offers to build you a brand new house which could help the revenue streams of Antrim and Ulster GAA then who would turn it down?

If someone came and offered to build you a brand new huge house for free that you could not sell but had ongoing running/maintenance costs that you could not afford .... you're saying that you would accept the offer?

It may be in the interests of interested parties to encourage you to see it as a no brainer. I'm saying that there are concerns about how this stadium is funded going forward

Yes the running costs are an issue among others, but my view point is that, this is where a highly skilled Stadium Management Group, come in to make it a viable project going forward and actually to get it to be a revenue generator as opposed to a drain on funds. Whether this is going to be the case is obviously yet to be proved but I would have thought it would have been part of the process when looking at the viability.

By no means was I saying it is a no brainer, but in principle I would be for it.

btdtgtt

NAG - remember when the government give the GAA money for Casement, thats our money! It didnt come from the sky - its our taxes.
Personally I think the size of NI/Ulster having three stadia is nothing short of a crime - especially given the current economic circumstances.

As for the residents - I can appreciate their point of view. Sinking the pitch to ensure their houses are not in shade from the stands should have been a given.

As for concerts - if thats what is needed to justify the stadium then it proves the whole venture is flawed from the outset. Its not a GAA stadium but a multi-use facility. Which is not what our Association is about.

Also - using this rationale - does that not mean that the new Ravenhill and Windsor would be looking to attract concerts?
I mean how many people really are going to play in Belfast?!
Is the Odyssey just going to fall into Belfast Lough?!

So many questions, so few answers - and all very little to do with grassroots GAA clubs.

NAG1

Quote from: btdtgtt on February 28, 2013, 02:08:15 PM
NAG - remember when the government give the GAA money for Casement, thats our money! It didnt come from the sky - its our taxes.
Personally I think the size of NI/Ulster having three stadia is nothing short of a crime - especially given the current economic circumstances.

As for the residents - I can appreciate their point of view. Sinking the pitch to ensure their houses are not in shade from the stands should have been a given.

As for concerts - if thats what is needed to justify the stadium then it proves the whole venture is flawed from the outset. Its not a GAA stadium but a multi-use facility. Which is not what our Association is about.

Also - using this rationale - does that not mean that the new Ravenhill and Windsor would be looking to attract concerts?

So many questions, so few answers - and all very little to do with grassroots GAA clubs.

Yes it is our taxes but when the other 'partners' decided to go their own way on the stadiums then it was either use it or lose it.

I think the multi use argument is mute now after the way Croke park has been used in recent times, it has been able to provide a home for Rugby/ Soccer while the Aviva was completed and also has staged some world class concerts and large events. There is more to it than concerts but again thats why there will be a Stadium Management to make it a viable going concern.

btdtgtt

Quote from: NAG1 on February 28, 2013, 02:17:23 PM
Quote from: btdtgtt on February 28, 2013, 02:08:15 PM

Yes it is our taxes but when the other 'partners' decided to go their own way on the stadiums then it was either use it or lose it.

I think the multi use argument is mute now after the way Croke park has been used in recent times, it has been able to provide a home for Rugby/ Soccer while the Aviva was completed and also has staged some world class concerts and large events. There is more to it than concerts but again thats why there will be a Stadium Management to make it a viable going concern.

My point is that goverment should not have authorised three stadia - either agree on one or nobody gets it.
Three stadia is a sin.

Also - I dont think the new Casement will attract events/concerts etc in the way Croker does - the city is not as big and there is too much competition for the limited events which come to Belfast.

I think its a white elephant waiting to happen.

Gizzy15

is this site shut down or just no1 posting

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Gizzy15 on March 05, 2013, 11:51:25 PM
is this site shut down or just no1 posting

Leagues haven't started and Loughgiel out of the All Ireland, nowt really to talk about. Any new managers out there?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea