Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

Is there a large group of young talented north antrim hurlers who are just a bit too fond of the drink? Reading between the lines it would appear so.

What in the world would take any hurler not from Loughgiel to the pound last weekend only the opertunity to get full. I find that very strange and worrying behaviour. No doubt an issue with society in general, but a role model or two wouldn't go amiss

Before a sham bites my head off ... I would say the same if the same thing was happening in the bridge?

In the interests of keep the discussion civil, could we not refer to individuals if you feel like replying
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

north aontroim gael

Quote from: theskull1 on February 22, 2013, 11:47:39 AM
Is there a large group of young talented north antrim hurlers who are just a bit too fond of the drink? Reading between the lines it would appear so.

What in the world would take any hurler not from Loughgiel to the pound last weekend only the opertunity to get full. I find that very strange and worrying behaviour. No doubt an issue with society in general, but a role model or two wouldn't go amiss

Before a sham bites my head off ... I would say the same if the same thing was happening in the bridge?

In the interests of keep the discussion civil, could we not refer to individuals if you feel like replying

I think players within all county set-ups will take a drink but I'd say the abstinence during the season for Antrim players would not compare to the likes of KK, Galway etc.

It's a bit of a 'chicken' and 'egg' scenario.  In KK the rewards of a clean, committed lifestyle and total committment to the cause are clear - All ireland medals, public acclaim other associated benefits (jobs for the boys etc).

In Antrim you get - pride of wearing the county jersey, some local acclaim, the odd big day out but will also be on the end of some awful tankings and some ganching similar to what goes on in this forum and bars around the County.

For us to compete at IC level there would need to be:

- massive buy-in from all clubs
- all players committing fully
- good cohesion between panel themselves and management (even if they don't get along individuals they would need to see the bigger goal)
- general level of interest from clubs, players, supporters in the fortunes of the County team

Because we have NONE of the above we will never compete in the near future.  Because we never compete at a high level (recently) it is hard to get clubs, players and supporters to buy in to the whole thing.

Do we have a drink problem in the County?  No.

Would we have less stories of our County standard players out for a few jars if we were successful, yeah I think we would.

Moving away from drink if we were a County who were pushing for honours we would have a potential forward line of:

10 - Eddie McCloskey
11- Karl Stewart
12 - Neil McManus
13 - Shay Casey / Benny McCarry
14 - Shane McNaughton
15 - Liam Watson

I think those boys could do well and trouble defences.  Will we ever see that line up?  I don't think so.  General dis-interest in the County, obvious friction between a few names on there etc (which is understandable) and club rivalries.

saffron89

Realistic MR2

Think this is simply were we are at, no fault of current management.  Blame last years lot

think it would be better for hurling in general

SIE can you ever remember the situation being as bad i.e. relationship wise between the big clubs

social media hasn't helped.  Nor has has the  re emergence of DA SHAMS.  Actually don't believe the last point myself.  though it is a school of thought amongst certain GLENBUSH citizens.

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: saffron89 on February 22, 2013, 02:03:11 PM
Realistic MR2

Think this is simply were we are at, no fault of current management.  Blame last years lot

SIE can you ever remember the situation being as bad i.e. relationship wise between the big clubs

social media hasn't helped.  Nor has has the  re emergence of DA SHAMS.  Actually don't believe the last point myself.  though it is a school of thought amongst certain GLENBUSH citizens.
Or God's country as it's affectionately known.

The rivalry has been ever thus, it's just been made more prominent after our recent successes.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Ballycastle17

Moving away from drink if we were a County who were pushing for honours we would have a potential forward line of:

10 - Eddie McCloskey
11- Karl Stewart
12 - Neil McManus
14 - Shane McNaughton
15 - Liam Watson

I think those boys could do well and trouble defences.  Will we ever see that line up?  I don't think so.  General dis-interest in the County, obvious friction between a few names on there etc (which is understandable) and club rivalries.
[/quote]
10.Eddie McCloskey
11. Neil McManus
12.Liam Watson
13.P.J O'Connel
14.Shane McNaughton
15.Ciaran Clarke

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Ballycastle17 on February 22, 2013, 05:38:49 PM

10 - Eddie McCloskey
11- Karl Stewart
12 - Neil McManus
14 - Shane McNaughton
15 - Liam Watson

10.Eddie McCloskey
11. Neil McManus
12.Liam Watson
13.P.J O'Connel
14.Shane McNaughton
15.Ciaran Clarke
[/quote]

How many of those players would bring their passion to the game (for the County) they way they do for their clubs come Championship?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on February 22, 2013, 02:20:42 PM
Quote from: saffron89 on February 22, 2013, 02:03:11 PM
Realistic MR2

Or God's country as it's affectionately known.

The rivalry has been ever thus, it's just been made more prominent after our recent successes.
20 years ago the rivalry was dealt with outside Legends Nightclub on a Saturday night instead of via Twitter etc.

theskull1

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on February 22, 2013, 02:20:42 PM
[/quote]

Social media coupled with your recent success. Jealousy in some quarters and smugness in others to blame in equal portions IMO. Adults behaving like children is what we have. If all concerned grew up a bit it would certainly help
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Seamroga in exile

Unfortunately that isn't going to happen any time soon skull.

Milltown Row2

Tough game tomorrow, we've been shit against Limerick lately, even when we had a good league campaign we always fell short against Limerick.

Hope we beat the handicap!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Seamroga in exile

I would love to see them put up a performance against Limerick. But they won't. No matter how great the squad have been getting on.

Limerick by 14. At least.

Seamroga in exile

Antrim 4 up. This is why i don't bet.  ;D

Seamroga in exile

13-8 up at half time. They had a penalty saved for a point. They also had a strong breeze being them.

Two Hands FFS

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on February 24, 2013, 02:42:00 PM
13-8 up at half time. They had a penalty saved for a point. They also had a strong breeze being them.
WE : )

CitySlicker11

Limerick ahead by 2 now after goal, did anyone expect us to hang on.

The way Kilkenny do this and kill teams off is what we all should be replicating.

However, I notice they are also being beat by Galway today.