Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

north aontroim gael

I thought he had a good game but each to their own.  He was marking their best forward on the day the stocky 15 Bernard Burke (i think) and shackled him well when he was on him.  No. 15 did score a good few points from play but that was when he drifted out to Centre and Wing half forward.  Given the quantity of ball that came into our full back line I thought they all done well to limit the scoreline to 15 points as Clones was in good shape.

north aontroim gael

In relation to tactics on the day St Thomas got it spot on (hindsight is wonderful).  They rotated their whole forward line and midfield at regular intervals and our lads struggled with it.

We lined out exactly the same as the last day and only sought to make changes after JC got split and the game was slipping away from us.

I think they changed a member of their half back ine when they were on top towards the end of the first half.....ruthless.  I thought we could of made changes earlier rather than letting things get to the tipping point and getting our hand forced.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: north aontroim gael on February 19, 2013, 02:44:36 PM
In relation to tactics on the day St Thomas got it spot on (hindsight is wonderful).  They rotated their whole forward line and midfield at regular intervals and our lads struggled with it.

We lined out exactly the same as the last day and only sought to make changes after JC got split and the game was slipping away from us.

I think they changed a member of their half back ine when they were on top towards the end of the first half.....ruthless.  I thought we could of made changes earlier rather than letting things get to the tipping point and getting our hand forced.

They brought on the youngest Burke, made a great impression too when he came on, did the same in the first match. Listen, it's very difficult to make quick changes while manning the line, the view from there is very restrictive and the time flies in. Jim would have seen it I'm sure, was he up in the stand? The other thing is that you trust you're own judgement and while getting advice you are still hopping that your gut feeling is right. PJ can't be blamed really, he's managed to win three titles an All Ireland and more than likely win at least another 2 titles in Antrim before he steps down.

He gave his midfield a good shouting during the first half, so he knew they were under pressure, having a great panel to replace lads that were clearly burnt out from previous week would have been the thing to do, Barney tried hard put was hooked, rushed shots missed shots and could have been moved into defence quicker maybe. Hindsight is a wonderful thing
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

north aontroim gael

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 19, 2013, 03:00:16 PM
Quote from: north aontroim gael on February 19, 2013, 02:44:36 PM

They brought on the youngest Burke, made a great impression too when he came on, did the same in the first match. Listen, it's very difficult to make quick changes while manning the line, the view from there is very restrictive and the time flies in. Jim would have seen it I'm sure, was he up in the stand? The other thing is that you trust you're own judgement and while getting advice you are still hopping that your gut feeling is right. PJ can't be blamed really, he's managed to win three titles an All Ireland and more than likely win at least another 2 titles in Antrim before he steps down.

I gave his midfield a good shouting during the first half, so he knew they were under pressure, having a great panel to replace lads that were clearly burnt out form previous week would have been the thing to do, Barney tried hard put was hooked, rushed shots missed shots and could have been moved into defence quicker maybe. Hindsight is a wonderful thing

Yeah I know and my post wasn't intended to be one of critiscism more my own independent analysis of the game and where it was won and lost.  I fully accept that not every man can have a stormer everyday and these players owe LG nothing.

I'm not close enough to the players or management to comment but hopefully they are all on board for the incoming season even if some do decide to take an extended break to heal mind and body.

Glensman

Quote from: NAG1 on February 19, 2013, 02:27:39 PM
Quote from: north aontroim gael on February 19, 2013, 02:13:39 PM
back to work today after a recovery day yesterday  :-\

My thoughts on Saturday were that the best team won.  Good luck to St Thomas in the final, they have a number of fine hurlers and they won't be far away.  Much like Loughgiel last year their hassling, tackling was top notch and we were unable to break the tackle and get shots away on various occasions up front.

For us I thought the full-back line emerged with great credit (not often you say that after an 8 point defeat).  Ding and Duck were superb and Neil McGarry put in one of his best ever performances.  If we could of made the ball stick a bit better up front they wouldn't of had to do half the work they did.

We were cleaned out in midfield again unfortunately i felt we were very slow to make a change there.  Eddie was the only forward who was winning his own ball.  When Shay Casey got ball out in front of him in the first half he caused trouble as well.  Declan Laverty having two of his quietest ever games in CF played a big part in our downfall as well.

Would of loved to have seen one of those early goal chances go in but I think we used up our quota of goals in last years final and last weeks semi-final!

The last three years have brought more success than I could of dreamed of after the barren run of 6 final defeats.  Huge credit to all involved and hope they enjoy a well earned rest.  Not the end of this team by any stretch but a few new faces need to be blooded over the next couple of years.

Hopefully the greatest legacy will be that they have inspired another generation to go and win an All Ireland as the team of 83 did.  Up the Shamrocks.

Would agree with that assessment apart from that one element.

Watched game again tonight. Would agree entirely including Duck. He played very well.
McGarry was immense.
Thomas really never looked like they would score a goal - full back line can do no more than that.

Amazing how different it might have been if 1/2 of those goal chances went in. There were a number of wides as well.

Agree that the hooking, blocking, harassing was immense from St Thomas.

Loughgiel deserve a serious break and hopefully they get one.

Never saw the IN today - anyone able to post the article?

theskull1

Quote from: Glensman on February 19, 2013, 11:14:27 PM
Loughgiel deserve a serious break and hopefully they get one.

Same break as everyone else who's been in the same position although I'm sure some will get more than others. Unfortunately for them this year they've more rest than planned. In terms of rest, its mental more than physical. Kind of makes you feel for the hurlers in top intercounty sides starting club championship just after their county season has completed. Bound to be hard to get the motivation levels up there again Id say. At least club teams involved in the AI club championship have 6 months to get themselves going again.

Game on Saturday didnt go for LG. Noticable difference in the way the game was refereed from the first day. Preferred Saturdays refereeing overall but just as Barry Kelly gave Loughgiel a few handy ones the first day, I thought the ref on Saturday was a bit too lenient the other way with a few tackles from St Thomas which looked blatant frees but not given.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

saffron89

Would be very surprised if shams didn't nail at least one more ulster in the next year.  To progress they need to blood new lads. Another mccloskey, McKinley. Etc.  there is also school of thought for o Connell. What age is he.  Though another excellent campaign Fromm dd. o Connell should be in Antrim setup.  I am correct in saying pj. Most successful sham manager ever. Little disappointed with his antics on drawn day. Certainly likes media coverage.  However must hand it to his organisational skills.  Thought after a certain display from a cdall manager towards him,  he would have handled himself better towards dinny. Speaking of which did he have a few gracious words after for the brave men in red and white

Íseal agus crua isteach a

"theskull1" Willie O Connor (ex-Kilkenny) corner back once said he would rather be fresh than fit.

Loughgiel were within a midges Micky of making another all Ireland. You have to have some great players in order to that. Talking to some people from Ballycastle and they felt they should have took Dunloy last year. While Dunloy feel they should have taken the Shamrocks in the final only for some awful shooting. Should be an interesting championship this year.

Íseal agus crua isteach a

Another cracking picture by curly

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: saffron89 on February 20, 2013, 01:30:13 PM
Would be very surprised if shams didn't nail at least one more ulster in the next year.  To progress they need to blood new lads. Another mccloskey, McKinley. Etc.  there is also school of thought for o Connell. What age is he.  Though another excellent campaign Fromm dd. o Connell should be in Antrim setup.  I am correct in saying pj. Most successful sham manager ever. Little disappointed with his antics on drawn day. Certainly likes media coverage.  However must hand it to his organisational skills.  Thought after a certain display from a cdall manager towards him,  he would have handled himself better towards dinny. Speaking of which did he have a few gracious words after for the brave men in red and white
I don't where you're getting it from about Pj and Dinny. I happen to know that PJ has the highest regard for the man. They were having nothing more than a chat. You've got this one wrong.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

saffron89

He was punching his fist in the air pretty much in his face.  Just saying a little ott.  But looking at half time last sat it seems to be kind of his trait.  Little playing to crowd.  Had paid him quite a few compliments as well.  Off course these were overlooked.

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: saffron89 on February 21, 2013, 07:44:02 AM
He was punching his fist in the air pretty much in his face.  Just saying a little ott.  But looking at half time last sat it seems to be kind of his trait.  Little playing to crowd.  Had paid him quite a few compliments as well.  Off course these were overlooked.
They weren't overlooked, they didn't need to be corrected.  ;)

btdtgtt

Interesting reading the last few days.

The shams overall need to get over the game, take a break / then refocus.

They are a hardened lot and could emulate dunloy's dominance of yester-year.

saffron89

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on February 21, 2013, 09:18:54 AM

take off the red and white glasses, he will hopefully learn from this campaign as well

but will you SIE  ;D

how many shams do you see adding to the county panel later in the campaign or is three the lot

surely PJ senior will ensure the door remains a little ajar

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: saffron89 on February 21, 2013, 05:50:28 PM
Quote from: Seamroga in exile on February 21, 2013, 09:18:54 AM

take off the red and white glasses, he will hopefully learn from this campaign as well

but will you SIE  ;D

how many shams do you see adding to the county panel later in the campaign or is three the lot

surely PJ senior will ensure the door remains a little ajar
But sure according to the cushendall/ Irish news there's no need for any more players on the panel. They're going to win Leinster the way they're talking.