Milltown Row2

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on December 29, 2012, 05:19:06 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 29, 2012, 04:41:44 PM
Quote from: Seamroga in exile on December 29, 2012, 04:08:51 PM
Quote from: 3leafer on December 29, 2012, 03:08:52 PM
Was this a high scoring encounter? Antrim versus Loughguile
2-12 to 3-08

Turgid affair?  ::)
nope, both teams scored more than 9 points.  ;)

Nope, only one team scored more than 9 points, but managed to tack on 3 goals.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 29, 2012, 11:38:29 PM
Quote from: Seamroga in exile on December 29, 2012, 05:19:06 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 29, 2012, 04:41:44 PM
Quote from: Seamroga in exile on December 29, 2012, 04:08:51 PM
Quote from: 3leafer on December 29, 2012, 03:08:52 PM
Was this a high scoring encounter? Antrim versus Loughguile
2-12 to 3-08

Turgid affair?  ::)
nope, both teams scored more than 9 points.  ;)

Nope, only one team scored more than 9 points, but managed to tack on 3 goals.
8 points plus 3 goals is 17 points on anybody's scoreboard. No matter how twisted one is. Eh Mr2?  ;)
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Milltown Row2

I'd say Louighgiel will have tougher games lined up than that to come?

Dublin/Wexford maybe?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Sleeping giant

Happy ewe rear!! ;).  Up the shamrocks
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.

Na Glinntí Glasa

think they play UCD, wexford and offaly and dublin? not sure of them all but its along them lines.

happy new year to you all by the way!
hurl like f**k boi!

Seamroga in exile

Dcu, ucd, dublin, offaly and wexford.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

maxpower

Just read the Donal O'Grady article on the Hurling forum and it just further highlights to me the major factor in the lack of development in Antrim Hurling is not in the direct control of the clubs but in the education system.

Most clubs are now very good, provide excellent facilities and opportunities but the schooling system and especially third level is awful.  3 secondary schools in Ulster take hurling seriously, CBS, Maghera and (only recently) C&P, compare hurling for Queens or UUJ to the football teams, the technical colleges are a joke.

It seems in Kilkenny the schools are appreciated as being the equal of clubs and the competitions are valued.  Waterfords recent underage success has largely been attributed to the De La Salle school while the Dublin combined schools experienced success before the minors

What happens next????

CitySlicker11

Secondary schools isn't really even the main problem as we have two very good schools, one in the south and one in the north of the county. Other secondary schools who wouldn't have the numbers or attract players from the traditional clubs also do some great work, such as St Malachys on the Antrim Road.

I feel you are right though in pointing out the education system, the first article produced by O'Grady highlighted the importance of coaching in the primary schools and this is were we fall down massively, if we could improve this area we would improve greatly.

O'Grady pointed out how there is rewards for those coaches and they are all invited to an annual dinner etc in Kilkenny.

How many coaches do we have in primary schools and are they carrying out a good job?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: maxpower on January 04, 2013, 11:48:27 AM
Just read the Donal O'Grady article on the Hurling forum and it just further highlights to me the major factor in the lack of development in Antrim Hurling is not in the direct control of the clubs but in the education system.

Most clubs are now very good, provide excellent facilities and opportunities but the schooling system and especially third level is awful.  3 secondary schools in Ulster take hurling seriously, CBS, Maghera and (only recently) C&P, compare hurling for Queens or UUJ to the football teams, the technical colleges are a joke.

It seems in Kilkenny the schools are appreciated as being the equal of clubs and the competitions are valued.  Waterfords recent underage success has largely been attributed to the De La Salle school while the Dublin combined schools experienced success before the minors
When you say only these 3 schools "take hurling seriously" what do you mean? I would say Garron Tower and Cross & Passion have been taking it seriously for years now.

You also have to wonder to what end the success of St Pats Maghera apart from glory for the school. It isnt as if the success transfers into senior county level for them. Big gap there.

johnneycool

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 04, 2013, 12:41:35 PM

When you say only these 3 schools "take hurling seriously" what do you mean? I would say Garron Tower and Cross & Passion have been taking it seriously for years now.

You also have to wonder to what end the success of St Pats Maghera apart from glory for the school. It isnt as if the success transfers into senior county level for them. Big gap there.

You'd have to say St Pats Maghera success in the 90's led to their intercounty good fortune later on when they lifted a few Ulster titles, but Derry county boards attitude to hurling seems to be atrocious coming from the stories I hear from lads who hurl in Derry.
The successes of Derry hurling seem to be in spite of the county board and reliant on individuals fighting for hurling within their clubs and schools.
Even though he's a gobshíte, you got to admire the work of Da Hinphey, Tom Magill, and the few others hammering away at hurling.

Minder

I think if all schools had the pick of St Pats Maghera they would all take it seriously. Just because a school is not winning Mageeans every year does not mean it doesent take it seriously.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Na Glinntí Glasa

i went to school in ballymena and basketball was treated better than hurling was. football was a bloody joke! we had fellas from dunloy and loughgiel in the team and were decent players, all who played senior county and won antrim championships yet nothing was done to help or promote the game.

i mind having to beg teachers to allow me to play for the school lol
hurl like f**k boi!

johnneycool

Quote from: Dunloy realist on January 04, 2013, 12:55:53 PM
i went to school in ballymena and basketball was treated better than hurling was. football was a bloody joke! we had fellas from dunloy and loughgiel in the team and were decent players, all who played senior county and won antrim championships yet nothing was done to help or promote the game.

I think I played two hurling games for my school the whole time I was there and it had the pick of the three ards clubs as well as a couple of handy hurlers from Kilclief.

We'd play far more gaelic football even though only one lad played club football.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: johnneycool on January 04, 2013, 01:02:12 PM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on January 04, 2013, 12:55:53 PM

I think I played two hurling games for my school the whole time I was there and it had the pick of the three ards clubs as well as a couple of handy hurlers from Kilclief.

We'd play far more gaelic football even though only one lad played club football.
Assuming the county board has no say in school curricula  ;) whose agenda was pushed here as I assume the parents would have wanted hurling played?

What schools are represented in the Ulster Colleges Combined Squad?