Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

btdtgtt

That's fair enough - if it produces a cohesive squad then that's some form of progress at least.

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: btdtgtt on December 11, 2012, 09:33:21 PM
SiE and mr2 have u both fallen out?!
Not me. Mr2 seems to have taken umbrage with me about something. He's been on my case for a while.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 11, 2012, 08:51:58 PM
Quote from: Seamroga in exile on December 11, 2012, 07:28:48 PM
Oh, would you look at that. I got all three shamrocks players on the Antrim panel correct a week before they were announced.  ;)

That would be like me getting the Galls player who's picked for the Antrim team!!!
to be fair, we all could have done that mr2.   :P

NAG1

Is refreshing actually to hear that a door is closed, I have become increasingly fed up with these managers with their open ended panels, begging at player's doors to come out and play. That is not the way to gain commitment. All the sound bites are right now lets just hope he can mould them into a team that we can get behind and be proud of. For starters if he gets them training and fully committed I for one will be proud and there to support them, regardless of results.

btdtgtt

Quote from: NAG1 on December 12, 2012, 08:05:59 AM
Is refreshing actually to hear that a door is closed, I have become increasingly fed up with these managers with their open ended panels, begging at player's doors to come out and play. That is not the way to gain commitment. All the sound bites are right now lets just hope he can mould them into a team that we can get behind and be proud of. For starters if he gets them training and fully committed I for one will be proud and there to support them, regardless of results.

Couldnt agree more NAG1.

riddle_me_this

I think we all agree in principle with what KR is trying to do but i think in reality things will be very different. If the door is firmly closed then i think we will see Antrim carrying a panal of about 18 players by June.  There is only 30 players on this panal at present and if the past is anything to go by then there will be 4-5 drop off by Feb-March time and with a few injuries here and there, exam commitments etc you are down to training sessions of 10-12 people again. I know that sounds pessimistic but it will prove fact. I think starting with a larger panal would have been better, let the panal cut its self naturally first and then you have your core 30 to drive on with for the rest of the season. Just my take on it..

NAG1

Quote from: riddle_me_this on December 12, 2012, 10:29:33 AM

I think we all agree in principle with what KR is trying to do but i think in reality things will be very different. If the door is firmly closed then i think we will see Antrim carrying a panal of about 18 players by June.  There is only 30 players on this panal at present and if the past is anything to go by then there will be 4-5 drop off by Feb-March time and with a few injuries here and there, exam commitments etc you are down to training sessions of 10-12 people again. I know that sounds pessimistic but it will prove fact. I think starting with a larger panal would have been better, let the panal cut its self naturally first and then you have your core 30 to drive on with for the rest of the season. Just my take on it..

Or maybe he will break the mould develop a really close knit squad for a change and people wont walk away, injuries barring serious ones can be fixed, but if he sets the tone and get the boys to fully then it will be a place people want to get into rather than out of.

riddle_me_this

Quote from: NAG1 on December 12, 2012, 10:37:53 AM
Quote from: riddle_me_this on December 12, 2012, 10:29:33 AM

Or maybe he will break the mould develop a really close knit squad for a change and people wont walk away, injuries barring serious ones can be fixed, but if he sets the tone and get the boys to fully then it will be a place people want to get into rather than out of.

Lets hope you are right. Im not blasting his approach just a little sceptical of how it might work in reality..
Really hope it goes well this year. Not expecting any huge strides but if we put the foundations in place to turn the corner and start going in the righ direction again that would be a start.

btdtgtt

I think you both make good points - and we all agree the way forward is on knuckling down to let the lads settle on the squad and want to be part of it.
I think some of the drop outs in the past had been becasue off too big a panel so players dont feel part of the shake up and think 'why bother'.

Either way as I say if KR gets one united motivated group them something will be acheived regardless of results (which were not exactly good regardless of personnel involved).

Sleeping giant

Am not being down on that squad before we start.  But I think we could be in bother this year.   Anyone fancy picking our 1st team?   Missing two out of the full back line from last year!!   Does AG fall back into edge of square?
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.

btdtgtt

SG - I dont dispute that we could struggle to get results - but maybe we have got to accept that is our level.
As said, one committed cohesive squad might achieve more or at least as well as a mis-matched squad with our so called superstars.
After all its not like we've been setting the world alight anyway.
So lets try and at least do things the right way.

manballandall

No ones door is ever closed for good and with the greatest intentions I doubt KR will be open at some stage. To say a door is closed permanently just leaves people wide open for ridicule when they do open it so why say it in the first place. Some people will never learn.

johnneycool

Quote from: manballandall on December 12, 2012, 04:01:17 PM
No ones door is ever closed for good and with the greatest intentions I doubt KR will be open at some stage. To say a door is closed permanently just leaves people wide open for ridicule when they do open it so why say it in the first place. Some people will never learn.

It's a sticky one for Ryan especially with the Loughgeil lads still involved in the club championship.

If he can get the 30 odd panel training away all through the winter and build a bit of team spirit, with results maybe not so good, then he'd come under pressure to 'welcome' back lads who previously hadn't given the commitment for the slog in the winter months but are happy to come back when the hour goes back.
Any team spirit would be quickly eroded if he started to drop (maybe lesser hurlers) to start the lads arriving later on in the year and before you know it he's got a dozen or so at training.
The Loughgeil lads complicate this as IMO he'd be well within his rights to invite some onto the panel in March (or Feb  ;)  ) as they're hurling away, but would be used as an excuse by others in the 'how come so and so got invited back on and they didn't do the winter training either?' rationale.

Ryan should show some loyalty to those hurling and training over the winter months throughout the year and set a precedent where arriving late on the scene won't wash anymore. He'd benefit from it the year after.

Seamroga in exile

And therefore punishing the successful club players for being successful. Hardly a perfect scenario, but I'll wish him all the best.

Buswhacker

Aye Loughgiel should withdraw from the All- Ireland competition and get behind the county, would that solve any problems ?