Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Dunloy realist on November 29, 2012, 07:46:32 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 29, 2012, 05:42:21 PM
Does that mean Ballygalget stay up?
Was thinking that as well.
Glenariffe to come up and ballygalget stay up to make the 10?

Wouldn't be sure there is a fair way to decide who is worthy of staying up, going down, The Down lads won't get a vote in this so they may lose out
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

btdtgtt

I would say if the big clubs go for it then most football dominated clubs will follow suit and it will be passed. Plus this steering committee has probably done its homework to ensure its passed.

Mr2 I am not sure if there is any other way of deciding the 10 teams?
But as I have said before - this system does favour as glens team - had it have been galls sars or a city team I don't think it would have happened at all!
Chip on my shoulder but I think it's warranted!

Minder

Quote from: btdtgtt on November 29, 2012, 09:43:29 PM
I would say if the big clubs go for it then most football dominated clubs will follow suit and it will be passed. Plus this steering committee has probably done its homework to ensure its passed.

But as I have said before - this system does favour as glens team - had it have been galls sars or a city team I don't think it would have happened at all!

There are some clubs in North Antrim (Ballycastle) that wield some influence, I can assure you we are not one of them. This was happening regardless of who the top two are I would think.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Minder on November 29, 2012, 10:03:54 PM

There are some clubs in North Antrim (Ballycastle) that wield some influence, I can assure you we are not one of them. This was happening regardless of who the top two are I would think.

Stop opening old wounds, I'm still smarting over that FFS!!

I'll go for the 10 teams option but will relegation/promotion be just one up/down?

There needs to be two up two down, gives people hope to the end of the season
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Quote from: hardstation on November 29, 2012, 09:51:49 PM

I don't.

I don't think this change came about just to get Oisins promoted to Div 1. Sure the wheels were in motion before the Div 2 winner had been decided. At that time, most thought Oisins would beat us.

Btdtgtt it would be a strange day were antrim boards favouring the non city teams...

I don't think any city bias exists now by the way but it has before and only in the past ten years has that gone away.

Division 1 should stay as is. Ridiculous. A bit like belfast traffic systems at the minute and people making changes for the sake of it!

imtommygunn

The main thing wrong with hurling leagues at present is division 3 / division 4 more than 1.

There are currently no excuses though 8 with 2 down and 2 up could also work.

It just feels like there's a perception that bringing more teams into a league will raise standards which i think is a nonsense. 14 games home and away is also very manageable and 18 a bit much.

In the 8 team leagues teams will eventually get promoted if good enough.

theskull1

Dual clubs especially those in div 1 will not like the extra league games coupled with that proposal for home and away first round games. Would make for a crazy summer
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

btdtgtt

Hs - the chip on my shoulder is not solely about this system favouring Glenarrife I mean it's over a course of a number of years. Personally I don't mind the oisins up on this occasion. But I think time and time again system changes and other county decisions have favoured NA clubs.

Minder - I have no doubt oisins did not instigate this I was not getting at ur club. I note the club u mentioned drafted the current system which relegated galls Rossa & lamh dearg in the boardroom rather than the pitch (note 3 city clubs)

Mr2 - I think possibility of 2up 2down is a must as u say it prevents leagues from being decided too early in season and so meaningless games abound. I would however make the 2nd teams play off at a neutral venue.

TommyGunn - u are 100% right the focus on the top tier hopefully will not neglect the difficulties in lower leagues. St endas are a coming hurling club with a bright future and there's many mis-matches in these leagues.

Skull - if we stopped closing off so many weekends at the behest of the county teams then fixtures would not be a problem. Dual clubs should be supported in their efforts.

johnneycool

Quote from: hardstation on November 29, 2012, 11:03:24 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on November 29, 2012, 10:57:40 PM
Quote from: hardstation on November 29, 2012, 09:51:49 PM

I don't.

I don't think this change came about just to get Oisins promoted to Div 1. Sure the wheels were in motion before the Div 2 winner had been decided. At that time, most thought Oisins would beat us.

Btdtgtt it would be a strange day were antrim boards favouring the non city teams...

I don't think any city bias exists now by the way but it has before and only in the past ten years has that gone away.

Division 1 should stay as is. Ridiculous. A bit like belfast traffic systems at the minute and people making changes for the sake of it!
I don't agree. I think that the football system is much better than the hurling. 10 teams. 2 up 2 down. No excuses.

If it goes to a 10 team league then two up two down has to be a given IMO.

manballandall

Quote from: theskull1 on November 29, 2012, 11:19:20 PM
Dual clubs especially those in div 1 will not like the extra league games coupled with that proposal for home and away first round games. Would make for a crazy summer

Sure there are hardly any games played during the summer...big gripe with me as the best months of the year for hurling and there is very little played yet we are still playing games in october and november.

NAG1

Quote from: manballandall on November 30, 2012, 10:41:08 AM

Sure there are hardly any games played during the summer...big gripe with me as the best months of the year for hurling and there is very little played yet we are still playing games in october and november.

Sure the championship was played off in a matter of 3-4 weeks August and September, what's the panic, still playing in Leinster and Munster up to the last couple of weekends. Play the league games from May to end of August and Championship from then on.

manballandall

Exactly...at which point the county team will be well finished and players will have a had a good few weeks with club before championship begins

btdtgtt

Very much so lads.

This system of 3 games in a week then 4 weeks without a game, then 2 games in a week followed by another 4week break etc - it has got to stop!

We need fixtures played consistently and throughout the season including summer months - regardless of the county teams. If boys get injured so be it - someone else can come in. After all - we have already had the debate about the fortunes and potential of our county team anyway. So club games should not be held off and limit hurling for the inevitable season of the few on the county team.

I understand county players are not available to make club training at this time - but they should be released to figure in league games. Keep the club season and momentum going - watch the interest rise - and this will in turn benefit the county.

And in a perfect and possible set-up - the leagues might get finished late august / early september and allow for the final poistions to be used a championship seeding. Thus the league gains importance and there are no meaningless games affecting relegation etc.

theskull1

Quote from: manballandall on November 30, 2012, 10:41:08 AM

When there have been years there's been no games played that was due to county fixtures mainly holding things up. Do you think that will change year on year?

Do the maths for a dual player and the number of games he's expected to play in (especially at the business end of the season). Ulster league, all county leagues, feis hurling and football (up here anyway) then championship. All adds up to a very busy season and put a lot of demands on these players
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

manballandall

But that's my point, why do we have a build up of games at business end of season as you call it? If the games are played consistently then there shouldn't be a build up. Already been highlighted the way our leagues run where you get 3 games in a week then nothing for 4 weeks does nobody any good. And its not just down to county demands. Bad communication resulting in bad laid out plans/fixtures. Ulster league is supposed to be pre season comp so shouldn't have any bearing on end of season. Our leagues start in april and yet we can't have them wrapped up by august?.