Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glensman

Slow Corner Back...a couple of us were mystified at the tactic being used when Antrim had a spare man on Saturday.
Shields has a good head on him and is a good distributor but agree he could do more damage up front.
Karl McKeegan would be the pefect man for that extra defender role...smart good reader and can defend a bit of questioned but we'd be robbing Peter to pay Paul in doing that as he's having a good year in midfield.

Campbell didn't actually have a bad game saturday I thought. He cleared a fair bit but much like B Herron often did not even look where he was clearing it.

I personally think Mickey K has to mark..he's one of our better ones at doing that.

Agree about B Herron, a change should have been made v Laois, and agree that Sambo and Woody deserve criticism where it is due but not for the call on Pinky and not for benching Tosh after the Clare.

Just heard from someone who thinks that Tosh is back on board. Good news if so.

aontroim

From today's Irish News back page......

QuoteMcIntosh counting himself in for Antrim

By Brendan Crossan

ANTRIM hurling ace Johnny McIntosh last night made a dramatic U-turn on his decision to quit the panel – but Brian McFall confirmed his inter-county career was over. Both players made their decisions to retire last weekend, but McIntosh has now declared himself available for Antrim's All-Ireland Qualifier against Galway on Saturday. The Glenariffe clubman told managers Terence McNaughton and Dominic  McKinley he had played his last game for the Glensmen after coming on as a second half substitute during last Saturday's 10-point win over Laois. However, McIntosh (28) revealed he will finish the season with Antrim before bidding farewell.

"I contemplated finishing after the Laois game, but when I saw it in the paper today, I thought that I should see the season out and travel down for the Galway game," said McIntosh. "I decided long ago that this would be my last year and I wanted to go out on a high
note. But I didn't want people to think that I was going under a cloud because I've a lot of time for Woody and Sambo."
He added: "If the door's open for me I would would travel down with the team this weekend. I spoke to a lot of people who advised me to see the year out." McIntosh cited family and work commitments for his decision to retire at the end of this season, but offered to help McNaughton and McKinley with the seniors next season. Meanwhile, Antrim favourite Brian McFall (below) has no intentions of returning to the fold after a frustrating season spent mostly on the bench. The St John's attacker, who was nominated for an Allstar in 2002, revealed that he could no longer remain on the panel as a substitute. "I just couldn't go on anymore," said McFall (30). "I tried to stick it out until the end of this year, but I just felt I was wasting my time. I don't think I was in the managers' plans from day one. I'm sorry this is the way it's finished, but there was no other way to look at it, I just had to make a decision. "I just couldn't sit on the bench any longer. When Sambo and Woody got the job I was looking forward to having a good year, but I didn't really get a look-in.
"There were a few boys who walked away earlier in the year because they never got games. I decided to stick it out, but then I was getting overlooked for team selection." He added: "I've known Sambo for a life-time and I get on well with him, so I know it wasn't anything personal. I'd be up front with him and he'd be up front with me. I don't know why he didn't like my style of hurling or  whatever; I just couldn't understand it. "I thought about leaving after the Ulster final, but I decided to keep sticking it out, but I just couldn't do it. I'm a wee bit sad about it, but life goes on. I have no regrets. My mind's clear with the decision." Despite his disappointment, McFall has backed both McNaughton and McKinley to bring success in the coming years. "I think the two boys will do well and they are slowly but surely making progress. I definitely think we'll make the breakthrough at some stage. The young lads in the side have shown up well and they can mix it with the best of them."

Ruairi Og exile

Good luck to the boys in their retirement form inter county, it's a pity Tosh wont stay on next year as he is one of our best forwards. S & W are trying to build for the future. If Antrim had a full team with everyone on board(watson, richmond etc) they still wouldnt beat one of the top teams in championship hurling. By playing these young boys now in 3 or 4 years time they will have the experience to hopefully challenge,as they are certainly a talented bunch. Cos the training they are doing will stand them in good sted in the long run. This is going to require alot of commitment, dedication & most of all patience(especially from fans). Most of us arent going to agree with this,  & some of the decisions are going to baffle us(as they have done), but they feel in their opinion that this is for the benefit of Antrim hurling in the long term. We are in a process of rebuilding....it's not as if we are battling for top honours year in year out.

On saturday's match, they were right to take Pinky off, he hasnt the pace for inter county hurling. He maybe should have been used in the full forward line. Ciaran Herron was excellant, thought Micky Monty had a good game again.Karl also had a good game but Brendan Herron was poor again,a couple of times he was ball watching in the first half & as Glensman said his distribution was poor. Michael Herron works very hard but is too slow on the ball sometimes. McManus was agin quiet in the first half but improved in the second half. Duffin...just not near good enough....no harm to him as he's a good fella, good attitude & traind hard but just not good enough. I think in a few years Shorty, when he fills out will be a cracker.

Ballybredagh

I understand that young Hippy Donnelly is close to full fitness. Don't know if he is on the senior squad but S&W could do much worse than throw him straight in against Galway at either full-forward or full-back. He's one of the best high-fielders about and could well be the target-man that S&W are seemingly looking for.

He has been hampered with injury, but when fully fit and with a couple of more years experience he will be one of the best hurlers to come out of Antrim in recent years.

maxpower

this thread is in danger of turning into the hippy donnelly fans forum. 

he's a fine hurler but can we let him get out of minor before turning him into the saviour of antrim hurling
What happens next????

North Antrim

You lads hav a chip on shoulder about young hippy! He is the best prospect in antrim in last 15 years bar no one...that includes mcmanus, herron, watson etc etc.......

Regarding County minors who have drawn Kilkenney - it is a shambles at present....if you read my past messages regarding this, nothing has changed....numbers at training range from 12-18 on a consistent basis.......now you can blame players attitudes etc etc, BUT WHY WAS THAT PROBLEM NOT THERE LAST YEAR??? Leadership comes from the top and McStravick is lacking big time. I hear training is brutal and all good work done past 3 years , its back to typical old antrim, anything will do...it will be rightly etc....... Cross and Passion got to All-Ireland final earlier this year but as far as i know have only 2 on panel........Something must be wrong.....Any suggestions

Ruairi Og exile

No one has a chip on their shoulder about Hippy Donnelly. No doubt that he has alot of talent but he hasnt done that much at senior club level just yet, Neil was a major star in our run to win 2 championship by the the time he left minor. I'd be abit worried about his lack of mobility but he has a great hand on him. Lets give the chance to get his injuries cleared up before we put more pressure on him or else he could be scunnered by the time he's 21.

NA...Also heard that training is a joke & I fear a return to the 15 point drubbings we have suffered in the past. The huge effort of the last two years has to be put in every single year not just every once in a while. There is still a basis of a very good team as there is still some quality there

Balboa

Glenariffe beat Ballycran tonight 2-15 to 2-13 in Ballycran, a good result, not often we get a result down there. The star of the show was undoubtedley the referee, the bould Deccy Magee. f**k me i have never seen a more incompetent man in my life, its a wonder there isnt a riot evertime he refs a game. The Ballycran players/supporters were going mad at him at the end but he was brutal for both teams. A nyway hopefully this result will get us back on track after a few poor results, Ballycran still havent won a game as far as i know.

North Antrim

Good result Balboa......

Things turning for championship...who do you play in championship first....can you see you folk getting by Dunloy or Loughguile?

North Antrim

Just after reading on the North Antrim site that the messiah Liam (CJ) Watson is back training with the bodies!!!! What a surprise there!!!

McCracken - can you enlighten us on the details...some vicious rumours goin around aboout MONEY, HEAD BUTTS etc etc....What really happened??

Big Bob

Good news for the Antrim Championship that Watson is back. An excellent Hurler and an antrim chempionship game with him involved will always be a good one.

Balboa

Quote from: North Antrim on July 11, 2007, 12:37:47 PM
Good result Balboa......

Things turning for championship...who do you play in championship first....can you see you folk getting by Dunloy or Loughguile?

We play Dunloy first, we havent been going as well this year but maybe things are turning at the right time. It will take a massive effort to beat Dunloy but we know what is in front of us. If we have 1 or 2 players not performing we will be beaten so everyone will have to be going at their full potential.

PlayWithTheWind

Wednesday 18 July 2007
7:30PM
Ulster U21 HC Down v Antrim
VENUE: Ballycran

has a squad been picked for this? if so, have these boys trained together?
Its not over til the fat lady sings!

Balboa

STOP PRESS.......Tosh is off the Antrim panel because he didnt train last night (he was playing a league game against Ballycran), but he is only off the panel until AFTER the Galway match. Is anyone aware of any games we have scheduled for after this weekend? You couldnt make it up

milltown row

no offence to the glenarrif boys who beat Ballycran down there, but we beat them without seven of our main players.

ballycran this year seemed to be out of luck, injuries, county committments, and bad luck (we scored a goal in the last minute to win by 2) they are currently bottom of the table. i'm sure they will bounce back.

championship around the corner so far out of the teams we have played Dunloy seem to be top of the tree but league counts for nothing, Cushendall and Loughgiel will be there, out of belfast the Johnnies have been training 3 nights a week we are also training three nights aweek........for football Gorts not sure how they will perform and Rossa well you never know

we play Ballycastle on Sunday and if we bring down a strong squad it should be tight