Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

btdtgtt

I agree about the time commitments - its' no problem doing this when you are in Kilkenny or Tipp and there's a job or social status included.
Bu as Skull says - there isnt the same recognition up here yet the time demands are essentially the same - so thats why so many won't commit and I can see their point.

Without sounding like a Ballycastle man - its a slow time for the GAA in newspapers so I would imagine the Irish News contacted Donnelly in looking for a quich space filler rather than the other way around.

NAG1

Quote from: btdtgtt on November 09, 2012, 10:38:00 AM
I agree about the time commitments - its' no problem doing this when you are in Kilkenny or Tipp and there's a job or social status included.
Bu as Skull says - there isnt the same recognition up here yet the time demands are essentially the same - so thats why so many won't commit and I can see their point.

Without sounding like a Ballycastle man - its a slow time for the GAA in newspapers so I would imagine the Irish News contacted Donnelly in looking for a quich space filler rather than the other way around.

The thing is the time commitment is not the same in these counties as they are only an hour or so away from each other.
Thats the point Antrim are training roughly the same amount of times as these guys and playing similar amount of games, jsut takes Antrim a full weekend to get a few challenge games, rather than just a skip down the road for a challenge game mid week for the other counties.

btdtgtt

Yes I understand and agree with the point for matches being further away - I was talking about training - particularly this time of year.
Its the same 3 nights say regardless if you are Kilkenny Tipp or Antrim.

But the longer miles and nights away needed for challenge games etc is indeed another reason why players won't commit if they dont see anything at the end of it.

Adds to Skull's orginal point some time back.
In a nutshell - would a guy give up a few nights a week and be away all weekend when he will be effectively guaranteed to be on a losing side as soon as a meaningful game comes up?
Or would he rather figure in his own community and a shot at a club all-ireland, with less travelling.
Its a no-brainer for many unfortunatley.

And I dont see anyone in a suit doing anything to change it.

Na Glinntí Glasa

shorty wants a break as far as i know. i assume he will join later.

dont blame cormac as he had a few injuries and would prob need a break to fully recover to play for his club. great hurler, one i like a lot.
hurl like f**k boi!

NAG1

Quote from: Dunloy realist on November 09, 2012, 01:13:03 PM

dont blame cormac as he had a few injuries and would prob need a break to fully recover to play for his club. great hurler, one i like a lot.

Yeah I would prefer he took a break completely rather than being injured one week for the County team and unable to field and then fit again the next Sunday for his club.

btdtgtt

Playing only club for one year will lessen the demands on the body and less injuries in the long term which can only benefit Antrim - thats why I was pleased to read his commitment to the county. Its unfortunate but fair enough all round.

I am surprised the new manager has given dispensation to Shiels to join later, would have thought he would have put a marker down of full effort from everyone from the off - especially as the Loughgeil boys are missing.

clootfromthe21

Quote from: btdtgtt on November 09, 2012, 03:15:34 PM
Playing only club for one year will lessen the demands on the body and less injuries in the long term which can only benefit Antrim - thats why I was pleased to read his commitment to the county. Its unfortunate but fair enough all round.

I am surprised the new manager has given dispensation to Shiels to join later, would have thought he would have put a marker down of full effort from everyone from the off - especially as the Loughgeil boys are missing.

This is Antrim we're talking about here - lay down a marker like that and you'll get boys saying "See ya!". Sad, but that's the way it seems to be . . . .

theskull1

btdtgtt the way youre talking you would think these boys never showed commitment in their lives. Catch yourselves on

Shorty for instance has been an county player since he was 15 or 16. I've seen him train for years and he leaves nothing on the pitch.

This blind assumption that every talented player should be a slave to the idea that playing intercounty is what its all about. If your from a weak county suffering from a combination of poor leadership/structures/playing numbers/coaching numbers/support etc etc, that ideal wears a bit thin.

In agreement with with max. Same as international football and treat the players well with the money saved on travelling expenses
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

btdtgtt

Not at all skull.
I understand why (and agree) with managers giving some players (in this case shiels) extra time off.
I am just saying that I am surprised Kevin Ryan did - I assumed the new regime he would like to implement he would want everyone there - and purely and simply numbers since he is missing the shamrocks.
I might also venture to say this is true - you might find out in due course that he told at least 2players they should report now or never.
That said - I feel because of the lack if depth available this will be reconsidered. With players introduced later in the new year.

Mind you - no way did shiels play senior county hurling at 15-16. No chance at all.

theskull1

Note...I never mentioned 'senior'
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

btdtgtt

Well in that case it's a mute point!
Most of the panel woulda played county hurling at underage as well!

BlackandAmber

Quote from: NAG1 on November 09, 2012, 01:19:36 PM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on November 09, 2012, 01:13:03 PM

Yeah I would prefer he took a break completely rather than being injured one week for the County team and unable to field and then fit again the next Sunday for his club.

??????????

and  how many times did this happen  ?

Jesusjones

Tragic that Hippy won't be with the county next year. He has great leadership qualities and I'd have liked to see him as captain of the team but he needs to do whats best for himself.

CitySlicker11

Prize Fund

Thanks to the generous sponsorship of RedFM, the Senior Hurling League is particularly lucrative.

The winning club receives €4000, with €2000 going to the beaten finalists. The other four teams who reach the knockout stages receive €1000 each, adding up to an impressive €10,000 in total.

Is there any prize money on offer for our leagues?

Buswhacker

Seems there's a distinct lack of enthusiasm for all things County, both from clubs and players alike.........wonder why ?