Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Were that stjohns team the other year not pretty good?

Dunoy's good teams in 90s had very large contingent from one age group i think?  They'd be strong.

Generally outstanding teams clean up too. Five points not that big a win.

johnneycool

Quote from: Rossa_SMacM on October 29, 2012, 07:52:08 PM
Best ever Antrim juvenile team?

http://www.odonovanrossagac.ie/index.php/u16s-hurlers-make-mine-a-double/

I'll quote you a Rossa clubman's response when asked about a young up and coming hurler from North Antrim who'd just played well in a friendly for his school, Cross and Passion (I think) against UUJ freshers team the same man was managing...

'Wait till he finds out what his cócks really for'

CitySlicker11

http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/antrim-chief-murray-pours-cold-water-on-gpa-plans-for-united-ulster-3277574.html

What's the thoughts surrounding this issue? It's a no go area for me, was there much thought even put in to this, couldn't see it working out at all.

the colonel

A good team that's for sure but we weren't a million miles behind them (and beat them by 10 points earlier this year)

It's hard to say how good a team is compared to others- for example we had a minor team a couple of years ago that went unbeaten all year to win our only Ulster Minor title and they were even put down with our own club. We've had teams with Graffin, Shane, Neil, McGill, Carson etc on the one team then had likes of Karl, Mick Monty, Decky McK, Odhran S etc go win Minor titles. The big thing will to see how many make senior level. Only fair to judge then

But there are definitely some nice hurlers on that Rossa team, as with last years U16 team also
the difference between success and failure is energy

NAG1

Quote from: the colonel on October 30, 2012, 08:54:10 AM

A good team that's for sure but we weren't a million miles behind them (and beat them by 10 points earlier this year)

It's hard to say how good a team is compared to others- for example we had a minor team a couple of years ago that went unbeaten all year to win our only Ulster Minor title and they were even put down with our own club. We've had teams with Graffin, Shane, Neil, McGill, Carson etc on the one team then had likes of Karl, Mick Monty, Decky McK, Odhran S etc go win Minor titles. The big thing will to see how many make senior level. Only fair to judge then

But there are definitely some nice hurlers on that Rossa team, as with last years U16 team also

Under age success is no guarantee of Senior success but it does help  ;)

btdtgtt

Imitation in apparently a form of flattery hardstation!

Way too premature to hail a juvenile team. Even within that club there have been a litany of juvenile "greats" that never laced boots at senior.
For me the measure of how good a juvenile teams is/was does not depend on its juvenile titles - it depends on it how it develops to senior.
For example if a team did back-to-back feile's but didn't feed the senior setup can they really be regarded as a success?

I raised the issue of this combined ulster team - it's a no go forme also. Combinations do not play as a team and regardless of individual ability the team ethic produces better outcomes so I think the combinations end up getting worse results.
I am guessing there would also be an issue with player commitment.

NAG1

Quote from: btdtgtt on October 30, 2012, 11:09:13 AM

Way too premature to hail a juvenile team. Even within that club there have been a litany of juvenile "greats" that never laced boots at senior.
For me the measure of how good a juvenile teams is/was does not depend on its juvenile titles - it depends on it how it develops to senior.
For example if a team did back-to-back feile's but didn't feed the senior setup can they really be regarded as a success?

I raised the issue of this combined ulster team - it's a no go forme also. Combinations do not play as a team and regardless of individual ability the team ethic produces better outcomes so I think the combinations end up getting worse results.

Name me one player outside of Antrim Barring Paul Braniff that would make the final 15? Paul McCormick Armagh couple of years ago but outside of that I am struggling.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: NAG1 on October 30, 2012, 11:53:30 AM
Quote from: btdtgtt on October 30, 2012, 11:09:13 AM

Name me one player outside of Antrim Barring Paul Braniff that would make the final 15? Paul McCormick Armagh couple of years ago but outside of that I am struggling.

Convery from Derry and the two brothers from Dungiven, they are the size of players with decent skill to match (with more intense training) the southern players
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

btdtgtt

If either Gareth Johnson (Galget) or Brendan McGourty (cran) were firing on all cylinders.

But like I say I don't think it'll work it's a lazy idea.

Sleeping giant

Quote from: btdtgtt on October 30, 2012, 12:23:45 PM
If either Gareth Johnson (Galget) or Brendan McGourty (cran) were firing on all cylinders.

I don't no if either of them are about anymore.  But IMO. Both would walk onto this team.  But am still not for it.   
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.

NAG1

Quote from: Sleeping giant on October 30, 2012, 02:19:52 PM
Quote from: btdtgtt on October 30, 2012, 12:23:45 PM

I don't no if either of them are about anymore.  But IMO. Both would walk onto this team.  But am still not for it.   

Magic on a good day maybe, Magic on a normal day no thanks

the waffler

both guys in oz magic is a take it or leave sort of fella but on his game is a handfull mcgortey is a class player big miss for down the 2 guys and from what i can gather will be losing 2 more top men

Sleeping giant

Would clarke not be in with a shout for keeper?  What age would he be now?  31/32? Or what about Sean Lee Mc goldrick? Unreal talent a few years ago,  havent seen him since.   Any1 want to name an ulster select? 
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.

NAG1

Id say he is closer to 36 than 31 SG

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: hardstation on October 30, 2012, 09:29:32 AM
;D b**tards!

Which one of you cnuts is responsible for @hardstation2 on twitter?

Can I please state that this is not me.
I have to admit I was a bit unsettled when whoever it is followed me on there.  :o
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"