Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glensman

Any word on the hurling meeting Monday night? Good turnout? Much said?

Good luck to him.

Buswhacker

He'll need luck to be sure.....but he'll need a bit more enthusiasm and co-operation from clubs and players more.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: btdtgtt on October 17, 2012, 06:49:08 PM
1) again mr2 u insist on taking ur own slant from a post. I didn't blame refs on anything?! If u mean my comment on bias - only a fool would suggest we don't have biased ref(s) in Antrim.
2) regarding players also having a role - I fully agree. But refs conducting the game right can only help this over time.

3) johnnycool I Also agree about big games - was thinking of this as a constant throughout the league. Given the minimal expenditure I have no doubt croke park would fund it as part if their lip device to northern hurling. And if a homegrown ref does the championship final maybe he will have less baggage!

4) realist I think most teams would settle for consistency within one game never mind between refs!

But you have this insane belief that the referees down south will encourage our lads to hurl like men from down south, silly statement.

Southern style hurling will only be achieved when clubs coach their kids to be quicker, more skillfull and not lose the rag when they get hit (hard but fair) on the ball. When that happens then we (referees) can ref a game like down south. Just my view you don't have to agree with it :o
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

btdtgtt

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 18, 2012, 10:43:38 AM
1) again mr2 u insist on taking ur own slant from a post. I didn't blame refs on anything?! If u mean my comment on bias - only a fool would suggest we don't have biased ref(s) in Antrim.
2) regarding players also having a role - I fully agree. But refs conducting the game right can only help this over time.

3) johnnycool I Also agree about big games - was thinking of this as a constant throughout the league. Given the minimal expenditure I have no doubt croke park would fund it as part if their lip device to northern hurling. And if a homegrown ref does the championship final maybe he will have less baggage!

4) realist I think most teams would settle for consistency within one game never mind between refs!

But you have this insane belief that the referees down south will encourage our lads to hurl like men from down south, silly statement.Southern style hurling will only be achieved when clubs coach their kids to be quicker, more skillfull and not lose the rag when they get hit (hard but fair) on the ball. When that happens then we (referees) can ref a game like down south. Just my view you don't have to agree with it :o

Another wild assumption on your part - you should try reading posts for what they are without looking to nit-pick.

I don't believe this at all - but I do believe that southern style reffing is one element and one part to play.

Obviously most of this is done thru coaching and attititudes to taking/giving physical play - but none of that would be any use without the souther style reffing.

Too often refs up here say they would like to conduct a game in the southern way - but players are not capable of conducting themselves.
I am not saying I dont understand this but it's a seriosuly inhibiting factor - how will we ever adapt if refs wont even give players the chance. Too often we hear two hurls slap together in a pull - and automatically a ref blows his whistle!
Too often our refs cannot tell the difference between a shoulder tackle and a barge into the chest or a push in the back.
Now MR2 - yes - players are even more so to blame here at times!
The point is it cannot ever change until refs penalise wrong tackles and allow fair tackles.

And the simple fact is this - importing refs into our league/championship games cannot do anything but improve standards.
I have no doubt central council would subsidise this - so what have we got to lose?
I say again - better to light a candle than curse the dark.

NAG1

Quote from: btdtgtt on October 18, 2012, 11:45:11 AM

But you have this insane belief that the referees down south will encourage our lads to hurl like men from down south, silly statement.Southern style hurling will only be achieved when clubs coach their kids to be quicker, more skillfull and not lose the rag when they get hit (hard but fair) on the ball. When that happens then we (referees) can ref a game like down south. Just my view you don't have to agree with it :o

Another wild assumption on your part - you should try reading posts for what they are without looking to nit-pick.

I don't believe this at all - but I do believe that southern style reffing is one element and one part to play.

Obviously most of this is done thru coaching and attititudes to taking/giving physical play - but none of that would be any use without the souther style reffing.

Too often refs up here say they would like to conduct a game in the southern way - but players are not capable of conducting themselves.
I am not saying I dont understand this but it's a seriosuly inhibiting factor - how will we ever adapt if refs wont even give players the chance. Too often we hear two hurls slap together in a pull - and automatically a ref blows his whistle!
Too often our refs cannot tell the difference between a shoulder tackle and a barge into the chest or a push in the back.
The point is it cannot ever change until refs penalise wrong tackles and allow fair tackles.

And the simple fact is this - importing refs into our league/championship games cannot do anything but improve standards.
I have no doubt central council would subsidise this - so what have we got to lose?

This is complete rubbish.

Soon as you import a Ref from the south the take care of a game up here, you lose the guys that are doing it week in week out. Would you be interested in doing something every other night of the week, to then have the legs cut from below you by parachuting someone in from outside? I for one dont think so.

The point is that the 'southern' style of reffing is bacially to ignore the rules and just let pretty much anything go. However, when it comes to reffing Northern teams vs Southern teams, the southern refs invariably will foul and penalise the players for something that the week previous or week after they wouldnt dream of blowing. Like it or not this is fact and something I have witnessed for a fair number of years now.

I would have no problem with at the start of every year, all mentors from minor up say being invited to a workshop style meeting with the referees where they could chat with the refs and go through scenarios of play on a video screen, so that both sides get a better understanding.

btdtgtt

Quote from: NAG1 on October 18, 2012, 11:53:15 AM

This is complete rubbish.

Soon as you import a Ref from the south the take care of a game up here, you lose the guys that are doing it week in week out. Would you be interested in doing something every other night of the week, to then have the legs cut from below you by parachuting someone in from outside? I for one dont think so.

I really dont think our refs are going to throw the toys out of the pram because maybe one or two league games in each round are done by an outside ref? That is rubbish - hell our boys might be happy enough to be exported to another county themselves for a hot dinner and a night in a hotel for them and their other half.

The point is that the 'southern' style of reffing is bacially to ignore the rules and just let pretty much anything go. However, when it comes to reffing Northern teams vs Southern teams, the southern refs invariably will foul and penalise the players for something that the week previous or week after they wouldnt dream of blowing. Like it or not this is fact and something I have witnessed for a fair number of years now.

I fully agree with this - but I blame this on a mindset /  bias which is removed when both teams are northern!
By the way - some city teams might argue that North Antrim refs do the same when officiating them!

I would have no problem with at the start of every year, all mentors from minor up say being invited to a workshop style meeting with the referees where they could chat with the refs and go through scenarios of play on a video screen, so that both sides get a better understanding.

Yeah - thats not a bad idea. But I would worry its benefits might be short lived compared to refs up for a couple of games in each round.

Guys its simple - I am not saying all our refs are crap and are to blame for our hurling - not at all. The first thing there is our players. I think some of our refs do a great job - no question about that.
But this initiative is being tried in other counties - why not us.
Why do we want to bury our heads in the sand - like I said we have nothing to lose.
U never know - It just might bring some benefits.

manballandall

Maybe letting 4 teams get promoted might improve standards ?....like you say better to light the candle than curse the dark ;)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: btdtgtt on October 17, 2012, 02:44:48 PM
http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=179379

This might stoke a few fires but what about outide ref's for Antrim?
Maybe a few southern refs might be encouraged to ref our games in exchange for a night in a hotel and a hot dinner?
Minimal cost given the benefits it might bring in encouraging a more southern style hurling and if nothing else we wont have any bias, perceived or not.

I'm replying to your post, not nit picking, You said 'might bring in encouraging a more southern style hurling' I am saying that it won't.

Coaching our kids to be better, committed, skilled and honest hurlers will certainly improve this. Bringing a referee from Westmeath (both did all Irelands this year) won't improve this.

I refereed a game where i let the hard tackles go, game turned into a blood bath, won't bother with that again, untill i see a vast improvement
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

playwiththewind1st

I've said it before on here, I will say it again.

Firstly, most referees in Antrim will not adopt the southern approach - there are far too many all-out brawl merchants still about, who want to do nothing but have a digging match at the first sign of a tough challenge.

Generally, players in the strong hurling counties will give big hits, but the difference is that they can take the big hits, dust themselves down & get on with it. That does not happen in Antrim.

Secondly, this is the way Antrim referees are trained...."blow the first foul you see. If you see a foul, you must blow it". That came from a man who refereed an All-Ireland final, by the way, so I would respect his experience & his advice.

Thirdly, parachuting referees in to do big games could work, but only if it was the case that it was a recriprocal arrangement & the higher standard referees  in Antrim got to do the bigger games in other counties. Getting a championship final is usually recognition for a job well done during the season & without any incentive, you soon won't have any referees at all. Then what happens?

btdtgtt

I agree - players attitudes and coaching is the most improtant factor - but I think this might be a help. Simple.

If I thought 4 teams going up would improve standard I would support that too - simple.

I think inviting southern refs (not for champ final if keeps domestic refs happy) is a good idea, I dont agree that promoting 4 teams  is - simple.
Altho as a Belfast man I wouldnt be too annoyed if it happens!

manballandall

Quote from: btdtgtt on October 18, 2012, 01:14:30 PM
I agree - players attitudes and coaching is the most improtant factor - but I think this might be a help. Simple.

If I thought 4 teams going up would improve standard I would support that too - simple.

I think inviting southern refs (not for champ final if keeps domestic refs happy) is a good idea, I dont agree that promoting 4 teams  is - simple.
Altho as a Belfast man I wouldnt be too annoyed if it happens!

In your own words though with regards the refereeing you could apply the same logic to the 4 team scenario ..."like I said we have nothing to lose. U never know - It just might bring some benefits."

The referees arent the problem...as already stated by previous posters...a lot of players when they take a big fair hit just want to lash out....until that mindset is put right it wont matter who is refereeing.

If outside referees were brought in now you can be guaranteed they would be a lot of serious rows that would develop.

btdtgtt

I did agree on the point about players attitudes already.
Yes - its just opinion. My oprinion is pro inviting refs and against 4teams up.
If I was proved wrong so be it.

NAG1

Kind of a random question lads but since it is really quiet, has anyone got any good genuine suggestions for KR to develop a real sense of togetherness and cohesion within what can sometimes be a fractured squad?

We might not be the best squad in the country but if we are the best that we can be then, we can't ask much else from him or the squad.

So any suggestions/ ideas of how he can develop this?

BlackandAmber

Just in for 15 minutes for a quick bite........and then more drink!

Reserve Cup to the Town 2-15 to 1-16

and beat Dunloy St Johns Cushendall and Loughgeil to get it

u-21 & Reserve champonships to the Town this year. like to think thats promisin  ;D

well done to them boys!

Sleeping giant

Fair play to the town,   I feel that they are where we were 10/11 years ago.   A talented squad growing and plenty of expectations,  just have to put head down and put a hell of alot of hard work in.  Be good for the county if ballycastle were really challenging again.   Not that am complaining at the moment.  :D
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.