Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

btdtgtt

I'm sure someone will point to problems Johnny Cool but its a better idea than what we have got.

NAG1

Lads you getting away from the central point that no one really cares about the league, it is seen merely as preparation for the championship, if you win it fair enough, if you win it but not the championship then what's the point.

Until there is something realistic and enticing about competing in the league then there will always be this prevailing attitude toward it. Fair enough everyone wants to be in Div1 and Div2 is competitive at the top because they want to go up a level but once they are there, this attitude exists.

CitySlicker11

For a team to win a senior championship they need to be playing hurling in Div 1, and for a number of years. I believe that if Rossa could get up this year or next and stay there that they would begin to push the big 3, along with Ballycastle. I agree with MR2 that Glenariffe may begin to fall away, but they will still manage to produce good enough hurlers for the next few years to be too god for Div 2.

To be honest these changes should have been made a few years ago, and has been pointed out, if some clubs were put down by league re structuring then clubs can hardly be annoyed if they are moved back up a level.

imtommygunn

If you increase to 10 though that's all well and good in your first year - Glenariff and Rossa get up and you have the best teams. The following year one of those gets relegated and the promoted club becomes whipping boys. The team that gets relegated is far too good for division 2 also.

If Rossa are to have aspirations of competing with the "big 3" (although I don't think it's 3 any more) then surely they have to be good enough to get out of the current division 2 otherwise I'd have thought that they're not good enough to be competitive?

The reason I suggest 2 is so as bottom of 1 and top of 2 have mroe to play for.

I think you increase to 10 and it's an easy way for the likes of Rossa to get into division 1 and there's no reason why that should be the case. The only issue in my view is 3 and 4...

I think the likes of Tosh and a few other boys will start to fall off for Glenariff over the next few years and they may not have as much coming through so they may drop off a bit.

btdtgtt

NAG - the point is that teams SHOULD care about the league, and if they dont then are we seriosuly thinking about moving hurling on when 99% of games have no relevance. The importance of the league must be promoted - whenter by making it competitive or linking it to championship. We cannot simply have a situation where chanpionship is all that matter - always the priority yes, but we must have proper hurling all season if we are to develop.

CITYSLICKER - Rossa did win their championship from Div1B but I agree the current set-up is simply not developing us in terms of county hurling or club hurling.

TOMMYGUN - I think Hardsation might be quoting you on Monday morning if Rossa win on Sunday - they are still looking to go up on merit! Although as CitySlicker says - Rossa and the Galls were not relegated on the field in the first place!
Also you have me intrigued when you say there's no top3 anymore! Are you dropping the Dall out of the equation?

CitySlicker11

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 20, 2012, 12:09:20 PM
If you increase to 10 though that's all well and good in your first year - Glenariff and Rossa get up and you have the best teams. The following year one of those gets relegated and the promoted club becomes whipping boys. The team that gets relegated is far too good for division 2 also.

If Rossa are to have aspirations of competing with the "big 3" (although I don't think it's 3 any more) then surely they have to be good enough to get out of the current division 2 otherwise I'd have thought that they're not good enough to be competitive?

The reason I suggest 2 is so as bottom of 1 and top of 2 have mroe to play for.

I think you increase to 10 and it's an easy way for the likes of Rossa to get into division 1 and there's no reason why that should be the case. The only issue in my view is 3 and 4...

I think the likes of Tosh and a few other boys will start to fall off for Glenariff over the next few years and they may not have as much coming through so they may drop off a bit.

Surely some Cushendall posters will be annoyed that you are now leaving them out of the Big Three.

imtommygunn

I'm not sure anyone is currently at Loughgiel's level never mind Cushendall so that wasn't really a dig at them. Unless the county final shows something different but I'm not sure it wil.. Cushendall have definitely dropped off a good bit though.

btdgtt- if rossa go up on merit then fair play to them but if they're to compete with the big boys they really should be in division 1 on merit... I think there's currently enough underage coming through that this will eventually happen mind you.

NAG1

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 20, 2012, 12:30:22 PM
I'm not sure anyone is currently at Loughgiel's level never mind Cushendall so that wasn't really a dig at them. Unless the county final shows something different but I'm not sure it wil.. Cushendall have definitely dropped off a good bit though.

btdgtt- if rossa go up on merit then fair play to them but if they're to compete with the big boys they really should be in division 1 on merit... I think there's currently enough underage coming through that this will eventually happen mind you.

This was a fancied Cushendall team to beat Dunloy easy last week last, retrospective thinking and all that.

Quote from: btdtgtt on September 20, 2012, 12:22:39 PM
NAG - the point is that teams SHOULD care about the league, and if they dont then are we seriosuly thinking about moving hurling on when 99% of games have no relevance. The importance of the league must be promoted - whenter by making it competitive or linking it to championship. We cannot simply have a situation where chanpionship is all that matter - always the priority yes, but we must have proper hurling all season if we are to develop.

CITYSLICKER - Rossa did win their championship from Div1B but I agree the current set-up is simply not developing us in terms of county hurling or club hurling.

TOMMYGUN - I think Hardsation might be quoting you on Monday morning if Rossa win on Sunday - they are still looking to go up on merit! Although as CitySlicker says - Rossa and the Galls were not relegated on the field in the first place!
Also you have me intrigued when you say there's no top3 anymore! Are you dropping the Dall out of the equation?

Just saying that they should care isnt going to get it done am afraid. The fact is there that the championship is the be all and end all.

btdtgtt

Nag I'm not sure Loughiel would be in a hurry to give away their league titles "cos they dont" care!

But obviously their Volunteer Cups will always be of overwhelming importance and thats the way it should be. But this doesnt translate into saying the league will be meaningless! A meaningful league is possible in other counties so again why are we different!

I know some counties link league standing to championship - notionally say that once one round of league games are complete (half-way stage) the championship draw is dictated by seedings at this point. I am not suggesting this should necessarily happen but just showing how we can make the leagues into a real competiton.

TommyGunn I would agree that nobody is at Loughiels level but I put my foot in it on the pecking order before! Maybe Dunloy could make us both do it! But i doubt it.

NAG1

Quote from: btdtgtt on September 20, 2012, 02:30:09 PM
Nag I'm not sure Loughiel would be in a hurry to give away their league titles "cos they dont" care!

But obviously their Volunteer Cups will always be of overwhelming importance and thats the way it should be. But this doesnt translate into saying the league will be meaningless! A meaningful league is possible in other counties so again why are we different!

I know some counties link league standing to championship - notionally say that once one round of league games are complete (half-way stage) the championship draw is dictated by seedings at this point. I am not suggesting this should necessarily happen but just showing how we can make the leagues into a real competiton.

TommyGunn I would agree that nobody is at Loughiels level but I put my foot in it on the pecking order before! Maybe Dunloy could make us both do it! But i doubt it.

There was a day not so long ago that they would have given 20 of them away to get a championship!

btdtgtt

I am not suggesting the league is currently anywhere approaching the status of championship!
Merely saying that it needs to be more competitive! Dont see your point!
If the staus of the elague is increase then we have more meaningful games and we all develop as a result - simple.
Maybe linking it to championship will do that.
The extension of you argument is basically let just play off a championship and to hell with the rest of the year. League doesnt matter so why bother - its non-sensical.

NAG1

Quote from: btdtgtt on September 20, 2012, 02:45:32 PM
I am not suggesting the league is currently anywhere approaching the status of championship!
Merely saying that it needs to be more competitive! Dont see your point!
If the staus of the elague is increase then we have more meaningful games and we all develop as a result - simple.
Maybe linking it to championship will do that.
The extension of you argument is basically let just play off a championship and to hell with the rest of the year. League doesnt matter so why bother - its non-sensical.

My point is until we get to a place where each league game counts then there will be no incentive to be competitive in it apart from the obvious preparation for championship. So there has to be a scheme put in place to make it worthwhile winning the Division. Suggestions on a postcard!

We have tried a champions league type championship format and that wasnt a great success. League standings determine the seedings for the Championship, tell me the last time that the big three didnt finish 1-2-3?

Milltown Row2

Fair bit of pressure being put Loughgiel now, (well on here anyways) and they should be good for it seeing they are going for 3 in a row and on the back of being All Ireland champions.

They play the Dall on Sunday, skeleton team out no doubt and chance for squad players to prepare (should they be required) for a run out against Dunloy.

As for Dunloy, by all accounts they had a bit of zip about them last week and have managed to find that hand passing game they perfected back in the day, finding space and creating scores from it. Was brilliant to watch but was shite to play against, was like chasing shadows ffs.

Final should be a lot closer and I might take Dunloy at the handicap.

I've said it before we need to link the leagues to championship, check back and you'll see were it falls down, we only have 5 senior teams from Antrim in it, you can't have a league linked championship with 5 teams in it, simple. Galway have it and it involves relagation also, Dublin and Cork and couple other counties run their championships off like that. But sure why would it work for us, eh.........
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

clootfromthe21

Intermediate and Junior Finals this Saturday lads - call them!!!

north aontroim gael

Quote from: clootfromthe21 on September 20, 2012, 03:28:21 PM
Intermediate and Junior Finals this Saturday lads - call them!!!

North Antrim Double

Cloughmills & Cushendun