Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesusjones

Just because Loughgiel are current all ireland champions doesn't mean they have super hurlers at every level, they might have a great senior team but right down from minor they are poor and they might not get 3-5 players off any of their under age teams.

manballandall

Oh i doubt that every player is poor now JJ... a good minor doesnt mean they will make a good senior but a poor minor has ben seen to make a good senior.

Time will tell i guess

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Jesusjones on September 05, 2012, 03:37:31 PM
Just because Loughgiel are current all ireland champions doesn't mean they have super hurlers at every level, they might have a great senior team but right down from minor they are poor and they might not get 3-5 players off any of their under age teams.

Yeah but after a while these players (2/3 minors) start to improve with the training and development and become better players, playing with good hurlers, this really does makes a difference.

Playing juvenile hurling (back in the day!!) we would have for most parts held our own with teams up and down the county but when these lads started getting on their senior div 1 teams they improved. They became stronger and faster and more accurate hurlers.

So even if they are just decent hurlers now at minor, with training they could become great hurlers at senior.

Either way I believe that the Championship will not go the way of the football where the same team wins every year
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Na Glinntí Glasa

Is the game still on tomorrow night between cdall and lgiel?
hurl like f**k boi!

north aontroim gael

Agree JJ that our current Minors are not the strongest.  We won the U21 last year though so hopefully few boys to come through.

As someone else mentioned getting 2 off a minor team is good going each year.  Hopefully the club can build on current success and keep high numbers involved.

In general I think it will be Loughgiel, Cushendall and Dunloy who share the next 5/6 County Championships.  Only two others I can see sompeting are Ballycastle who are not far away and St Johns.  Only my opinion.....time will tell.

On the semis, I think Loughgiel will beat St. Johns although not by as much as some are saying.  St Johns are in the football semi-final this Friday night (I think) and if they were to win that then there would be a good bit of momentum behind the club.  Anyone know if any club has reached both finals in same year before / won both before?

If they lose they may lose a bit of momentum if there is a crossover in players.  If it is to be North Antrim venue I'd say it will be slightly easier for Loughgiel.

Dunloy / Cushendall I see as being a tight game with little in it either way.  Both are itching to get to the final and a crack at Loughgiel (again being presumptious).

I know a few of my Dunloy friends were particuarly pissed off at last years exit and are keen to put that right.  They don't see very much / if anything between them and Loughgiel as has been demonstrated by League and Ulster League games.

I work with an older man from Cushendall and he says that if they could of held on in the County final last year he's confident they would of won the All Ireland as well.  I'd say a few of the players are thinking the same and will be keen for a shot at it this year.

Think it will be a tight game with 1/2 points in it ether way.  Not sure who I'll plump for yet.

Great weather out.....time to dust of the clubs!

the colonel

Quote from: Dunloy realist on September 05, 2012, 04:05:59 PM
Is the game still on tomorrow night between cdall and lgiel?

Despite Mr Watsons recent incorrect claims that we have refused to play them it is on yes
the difference between success and failure is energy

lonely1

Ban appealed back on, FG owe you big time must return the favour, see your still spouting the usual BS anyway................ and still waiting on your PM, keen to extend our new found friendship. I'm on the watch list, must be careful.

Milltown Row2

St Johns have done it along with Rossa over the years, We managed semi finals in both (won football final) a few years ago and again last year (winning football.....again)

It is so hard to do but for whatever reasons some dual clubs will continue!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

jdyok

St John's have won Ulster Senior Club titles in both hurling (1973) and football (1977). I think 1969 was the last time they won Antrim football and hurling titles in the same year...

maxpower

Dunloy won hurling and were beaten by a point by Cargin in the semi of the football, think the year was 1998.  Had an excellent football team then, Dick, Patch and Conor Cunning were all well able to play football for Antrim had they not committed more to hurling!

What happens next????

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: Jesusjones on September 05, 2012, 12:33:28 PM
SIE I hurled against DD all the way through underage, he'd be 33 and Ding was older than our age group I'd put him at 34 or 35. Loughgiel would have their core group of players around the 30 mark, Martin Scullion, Johnny Campbell, Neilly Mc Garry, Barney Mc Auley and Watson are all at the 30 mark so the core of the team would be 30 or older. They are top of the tree now but it won't always be that way. We were on top when Karl Mc Keegan, Declan Mc Killop, Mickey Mc Cambridge, Odhran Scullion, Aidan Delargy and Kevin Elliott were around the 29/30/31 mark. Its swings and roundabouts, enjoy it while it lasts.
JJ, we have been enjoying it, haven't you noticed?   :)  We're no different in that respect to yourselves or whoever were the kingpins at the time. We're under no illusions about winning the championship, this year or any other. We, probably more than most after the last 10 years, know just exactly what it takes. It's never easy and never will be. Nothing is taken for granted, probably something we were guilty of in the past.

But here, I'd like to think we'd be contesting finals for another year or two yet.  ;)
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Milltown Row2

Spare ticket available if anyone interested. Face value of course

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: maxpower on September 05, 2012, 07:04:47 PM
Dunloy won hurling and were beaten by a point by Cargin in the semi of the football, think the year was 1998.  Had an excellent football team then, Dick, Patch and Conor Cunning were all well able to play football for Antrim had they not committed more to hurling!
Mind that year well. We had a good team then.
1990 we lost to st galls was it over in rasharkin? I Monday being at tr game as it was just after we had reached the hurling final.
hurl like f**k boi!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Dunloy realist on September 05, 2012, 10:26:17 PM
Quote from: maxpower on September 05, 2012, 07:04:47 PM
Mind that year well. We had a good team then.
1990 we lost to st galls was it over in rasharkin? I Monday being at tr game as it was just after we had reached the hurling final.

Most of that minor team that we just about beat in 88 would have been on that team. Came away from Dunloy on the friday night with a one point win!!!

Na Glinntí Glasa

That's we competed in senior championship and div 1 at both codes. So did rossa. Only st johns are doing it at the min.
Is it a case now of concentrating on the one code your most likely to have success at?
hurl like f**k boi!