Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

manballandall

I have a feeling that no matter who was appointed there would be palyers from the city and the country who would have their gripes. Its the same with club managers too, always a few players who think he is not the right person for the job. Cant please everyone.

I doubt Mc Carthy or anyone else with a good background would be interested in the antrim job esepecially after the shambles this year.

johnneycool

Quote from: winker3716 on August 22, 2012, 12:52:44 PM
In my humble opinion, bring back Dinnie C. Alternatively, approach Justin McCarthy, Donal O'Grady.  Keep it outside the county.  Coaching is one thing, managing is a completely different can of worms, also together.  This county needs to be managed from the top down, at admin and team levels.  We can play hurling in Antrim, what we need to do is apply it in the right form and have strategy and tactics managed.

Johnston can coach, there is no doubt, but as for respect of the players and managerial ability, well, lets not go there!  :o

Well you can't have Donal O'Grady, he's already agreed to assist the Down hurlers this year and will be picking up Brian Cody on the way through for a few sessions as well.
Nicky English is to take our minors next year as well.

the colonel

Quote from: johnneycool on August 22, 2012, 01:25:56 PM
In my humble opinion, bring back Dinnie C. Alternatively, approach Justin McCarthy, Donal O'Grady.  Keep it outside the county.  Coaching is one thing, managing is a completely different can of worms, also together.  This county needs to be managed from the top down, at admin and team levels.  We can play hurling in Antrim, what we need to do is apply it in the right form and have strategy and tactics managed.

Johnston can coach, there is no doubt, but as for respect of the players and managerial ability, well, lets not go there!  :o

Well you can't have Donal O'Grady, he's already agreed to assist the Down hurlers this year and will be picking up Brian Cody on the way through for a few sessions as well.

I heard that the timetable for the ferry is getting changed to suit the fellas as well.
the difference between success and failure is energy

Milltown Row2

Outside the county? If Brian Cody came up to take team you would still get the players pissing about, on the lash and not really putting in the effort. One of the last managers to win a title of sorts with the county was a Sarsfield's man, whether people liked him our not he's won a National Title. I'm not saying bring him back, just saying that we should look at our own first.

Players need to buy into a managers game plan, if they don't, then they have failed before a ball is pucked in the League. Too many up their own holes
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

MilltownBlues

He would be a great man for the job!! He will take no shit!!

johnneycool

Quote from: the colonel on August 22, 2012, 02:26:56 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on August 22, 2012, 01:25:56 PM

I heard that the timetable for the ferry is getting changed to suit the fellas as well.

what ferry? There's a bridge to be built to facilitate this.
8)

winker3716

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 22, 2012, 02:35:29 PM

Outside the county? If Brian Cody came up to take team you would still get the players pissing about, on the lash and not really putting in the effort. One of the last managers to win a title of sorts with the county was a Sarsfield's man, whether people liked him our not he's won a National Title. I'm not saying bring him back, just saying that we should look at our own first.

Players need to buy into a managers game plan, if they don't, then they have failed before a ball is pucked in the League. Too many up their own holes
Sure yer man Guinness could hardly string a sentence together, never mind a team MR2, are you serious man?

I have always been of the sound opinion we need to go outside this county, someone with no vested interest inter club rivalry-baggage and all that that brings.  And by the way, keep Sambo wel out of the way as an added caveat! ;)  We don't need coaches, we need a manager, who can manage!  The same way we need a county executive which can manage.  As I said, I am somewhat radical and all for change. :-X

My Philosophy on self preservation - "pull on him before he pulls on you, and pull early"

saffron89

would johnson be that bad,

reliable, not much travelling, seriously committed, could bring a good team with him, bit of luck cahill as a coach.

have we had great antrim managers before him

down minors getting nicky english, yeah for a couple of sessions one weekend when he is up to catch up with his oul mate danny hughes, though he could be tempted back to his native tipp.

btdtgtt

For what it's worth it seems to me that Johnson has many attributes in terms of preparing teams - but I have to say he has also proved time & time again to be a divisive figure.

Is there a safe pair of hands out there?
Is there an alternative to Johnston that is interested?
If not then he's gotta get it.

theskull1

Wrong paddies mans winker

"If Brian Cody came up to take team you would still get the players pissing about, on the lash and not really putting in the effort. "

100% agree with this MR2

We are not KK. I would prefer that the county management went to clubs and players..demanded fitness levels in all clubs get to the right level. keep an eye on whos playing well and then pick a squad (seek agreement from 40-50 players that they would attend if selected) the week before a game...train twice and then play the game...then players go back to the clubs... Would be cheaper or at least allow funds not to be burned on travelling expenses and be redirected into treating the players better when they do represent the county.

Think it would be no worse than than how we've done this past few years. Players I think would prefer it .
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

btdtgtt

A bit radical skull but I certainly see where u are coming from.
I'm off to have a look at your lot hardstation - with an eye on the league deciders in September.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: winker3716 on August 22, 2012, 04:25:58 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 22, 2012, 02:35:29 PM

Sure yer man Guinness could hardly string a sentence together, never mind a team MR2, are you serious man?

I have always been of the sound opinion we need to go outside this county, someone with no vested interest inter club rivalry-baggage and all that that brings.  And by the way, keep Sambo wel out of the way as an added caveat! ;)  We don't need coaches, we need a manager, who can manage!  The same way we need a county executive which can manage.  As I said, I am somewhat radical and all for change. :-X

McGuinness winker and he was a decent manager in his day, but you knew all along who I was talking about 8)

Your wee mask has started to slip of late, but sure we'll play along till you go banana's again :o

I heard Cushendall came down to watch us play Lamhs tonight, I'm stuck in house but I hear we've no team out and getting hammered 24 to 2 !!! Plenty of positional line outs, tactics to get tonight lol.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Minder

Glenariffe beat Gort Na Mona 7-15 to 0-10.

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on August 22, 2012, 08:57:41 PM
Comes down to the two games. Exciting enough finish. We'll be lucky to get 4 points but fcuk it, all to play for.
Totally, and in a better position than the way ya's started the year

CitySlicker11

Fair play to Rossa for getting it down to these two games, wouldn't have thought they would still be in the shake up after their disastrous start. Although they have yet to play Glenariffe they would have normally slipped up throughout the season against the so called weaker teams. Seems they pulled out a few results when down a few players that in the past they would have thrown in the towel.

Sarsfields and Carey sounded like a good game, with Sars getting the last second goal to win, good to see them getting back to winning ways. What has happened to St Galls, I personally just don't think they have enough hurlers in their club, not talking quality as they have some of the best in the county, but when they are light on numbers they seem to do terribly bad.

Hopefully with the football over Lamh Dhearg can focus on the hurling, if they get a few weeks training done they could trouble St Johns in the SHC.

Bad loss for Gort na Mona away to Glenariffe, would have been expected but Gort have done well to turn around their season, and again were missing a few regulars tonight.

Minor semi finals on Friday night in casement, great advertisement for Belfast hurling, if these teams can keep together and move on to senior then it will be a great boost for city hurling. St Johns clear favourites but teams will be aiming to close the gap, and Rossa will be looking to get their young team ready for minor next year.