Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxpower

theskull

was just talking to a fella in work there about the johnnies match and was saying the exact same thing, for such a big club with a supposed thriving social club you'd wonder why the grounds are in such poor shape.  they were saying the stand is closed for health and safety reason.  is corrigan not officially the county's second ground
What happens next????

milltown row

regarding clubs and facilities in belfast we and other clubs are struggling with the social side of things. the bars are not bringing the money in as it was prior to the ceasefire. before that we Naomh gall would have had 5/6 nights a week were there was a steady crowd weekends were really busy. but now everybody is heading into the centre money has dried up and the old fashion fundraising has died a death.

so a lot of clubs have not got the money to upgrade or in our case pull down and build new ones. we have something in the future regarding new changing facilities but what we have at the minute is terrible and embarrassing. again bear with it it will get better.

barring injuries Skull were you at full strength against the Johnnies.

Balboa

Milltown i see what you are saying but surely there is other areas to explore other than relying on revenue from the social club, there are plenty of clubs that do not have a social club that have new facilities, be it through lottery grants/large scale fundraising.

theskull1

Quote from: milltown row on July 03, 2007, 12:40:45 PM
regarding clubs and facilities in belfast we and other clubs are struggling with the social side of things. the bars are not bringing the money in as it was prior to the ceasefire. before that we Naomh gall would have had 5/6 nights a week were there was a steady crowd weekends were really busy. but now everybody is heading into the centre money has dried up and the old fashion fundraising has died a death.

so a lot of clubs have not got the money to upgrade or in our case pull down and build new ones. we have something in the future regarding new changing facilities but what we have at the minute is terrible and embarrassing. again bear with it it will get better.

barring injuries Skull were you at full strength against the Johnnies.

I think Antrim County Board along with the clubs would need to devise a development plan in Belfast. The remit would need to include fund raising but more importantly would be encouraging volunteerism at all levels within clubs. Its not just the higher profile jobs needed in a good running club. Its the sandwich makers, cleaners, bar tenders, groundsmen, tradesmen for odd jobs. All people who give their time free of charge for the good of their club and people in their community. Thats what the GAA should be about. These people have as equal a share in the GAA as any high profile county player IMO. The silent heros. Real change in Belfast clubs won't happen unless people like this exist and are prepared to come out of the woodwork and play a part in the revitalisation.

Regarding the Johnnies match, Paddy Richmond was wedding tied  ???(getting hitched this Saturday......if it was a camogie match I could maybe understand) but with Paddy you never know what your gonna get from him (inconsistency is his biggest flaw) so don't know if that would have made a difference. We have a few other injuries and suspensions which did leave us a bit light, but really we weren't good on Sunday even though we took plenty of scores. Hopefully one to learn from as we had been on a decent run up to that match and looked to have took our foot of the pedal a bit on Sunday. Plenty of work required still before I'd say we were championship material. But its only the start of July so .....
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

milltown row

before our club had it current social club we had a sort of portacabin style bar/function room club, pretty dismall, but a lot of work was put in by members of the time that made the club and pitches, that was over 20 years ago 86 i think. then we just relied on the takings behind the bar which were good. so the fundraising stopped.

there are still some belfast clubs without pitches that are making loads of money behind the bar but do not improve their own facilities. in our club it's the same people doing the same jobs. people get fed up after a while. no one wants to do anything for free now.

McCracken

Quote from: North Antrim on July 02, 2007, 01:37:38 PM
Aye Winker will be aserious blow to you hopes....we are going well ourselves this year in comparison to other years. Our u-21's had a great result last week and look good for our first ever title. It all augers well for the future. We are realistic this year to no that we wont win a senior but Humpy & Micky mcshane are creating a good set-up and things are improving. Noel Brick, think he was involved with you lads a few years ago as joined our group to take the fitness. By the way McCracken how is Joe cassidy being recieved around loughguile?

@ North Antrim

WRT Joe Cassidy, the general feeling is that he is doing a good job, and he is well liked by the players. Its always good to have someone around with an outside perspective on things. Noel Brick was with us for a number of years and he certainly knows his stuff, from a fitness perspective. He is a real gentleman and has done a lot of work throughout the country in various codes and at all levels. He can definitely bring something to the table.

North Antrim

Aye Brick seems to have made an impression with our lads, and i know the Carey lads enjoy his training too. Glad to hear joe has went down well. hes done a great job in CPC. Well McCracken - do you play? Will you lads deliver this year?

Balboa

North Antrim

Very gud Rocky!! ;D ;D

So big lad - who will championship in your opinion??

Balboa

Quote from: North Antrim on July 04, 2007, 11:04:16 AM
Very gud Rocky!! ;D ;D

So big lad - who will championship in your opinion??

Its hard to say, one of Cushendall, Shamrocks or Dunloy. I dont think the quality is great compared to previous years. If Dunloy get their finger out they have a great chance, Loughguile will struggle without Winker.

girt_giggler

has to be between one of those 3. again hard to decide, none of them can be ruled out.  all 3 seem to be going about their business very quietly for this time of year compared to other years.

North Antrim

Girt - quiet?? take it they have been mouthing off the last number of years. I was chatting to a prominent Dall player recently, he had a few drinks in him, and he seemed to think this years championship wud be their easiest. They are only starting to train now and are planning for a long season.....arrogance was the word that sprung to mind!!

Do any of you think we could cause a shock or two?? Our lads are on a drink ban until 22nd where we play the mighty dall!!

girt_giggler

hope you's come good come championship.  to me your game v st johns will be the big one assuming you win both your home fixtures.

girt_giggler

Quote from: North Antrim on July 04, 2007, 11:21:00 AM
Girt - quiet?? take it they have been mouthing off the last number of years.

i suppose by quiet i meant reading all the sprouting you hear on the likes of here/hoganstand etc about who's going to win what etc. who at the end of the day are likely just kids! but still passes the working day reading this kinda thing

North Antrim

Our championship team will be - providing everyones fit - Ryan McGarry, micky Buff, Ronan Donnelly, Gary Maybin, Bamba, Neal McAuley, Hippy, Nander, Ryan D, Peter Dallat, Pinky, ????., Steve McGarry, Causey, KB McShane

Think we will make semis - and hopefully draw the bodies!!!