Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sleeping giant

Quote from: AshwoodGael on July 02, 2012, 10:47:11 PM
As a Limerick man I arrived at match saturday evening a few minutes late and the game was all but over at that stage. Some cretin had parked in a disabled spot and took me an age to get wheelchair out of car. As i said it was over when i got in.

In fairness lads the quality of ye're players isnt up to it and the lack of effort ?? What was the point of the manager introduciing new players to ye're panel and from his own club I understand too.

As the old saying goes you cant make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

Ye have to accept ye dont have the players or the commitment either. From reading the posts ye do be putting on here ye are impossible to please.  Jaysus Seomroga in Exille you'd want to chill out. Your like a man that thinks he knows it all with some inside track or whatever. Ye seem to be more interested in club matches which is fair enough.

Your man J Wallace  was down here in Limerick and all i can say from talking to the lads I know on the county scene is he really knows his stuff and is dedicated to the last. They'd have him back in the morning I have been told by several. . I think maybe he is a bit too professional for ye're set up just yet. If I was ye i wouldnt honestly question his input as i dont think he's a miracle worker. If ye're posts are anything to go by ye seem to do an amount of infighting like we used do for few years. Stop the bickering between ye're few senior clubs and work togetehr.

I know we havent won anything here in limerick since the league couple years ago so a bit like ye I probably shouldnt be throing stones either.

Just my thoughts and as someone said maybe the christy Ring is for ye !!!
HAHAHAHAHAHA  for sure a WUM.  99.9% sure from Antrim
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.

CitySlicker11

IMO I don't see why we don't try another year in the Christy Ring, it has helped teams like Westmeath recently, and one year, if we win fair enough, but taking tankings like that on Sunday do nobody any harm. How is the u21 set up going, I know they were trying to put a lot more emphasis on it this year, so fair play to them, however are the players buying in to it?

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: AshwoodGael on July 02, 2012, 10:47:11 PM
As a Limerick man I arrived at match saturday evening a few minutes late and the game was all but over at that stage. Some cretin had parked in a disabled spot and took me an age to get wheelchair out of car. As i said it was over when i got in.

In fairness lads the quality of ye're players isnt up to it and the lack of effort ?? What was the point of the manager introduciing new players to ye're panel and from his own club I understand too.

As the old saying goes you cant make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

Ye have to accept ye dont have the players or the commitment either. From reading the posts ye do be putting on here ye are impossible to please.  Jaysus Seomroga in Exille you'd want to chill out. Your like a man that thinks he knows it all with some inside track or whatever. Ye seem to be more interested in club matches which is fair enough.

Your man J Wallace  was down here in Limerick and all i can say from talking to the lads I know on the county scene is he really knows his stuff and is dedicated to the last. They'd have him back in the morning I have been told by several. . I think maybe he is a bit too professional for ye're set up just yet. If I was ye i wouldnt honestly question his input as i dont think he's a miracle worker. If ye're posts are anything to go by ye seem to do an amount of infighting like we used do for few years. Stop the bickering between ye're few senior clubs and work togetehr.

I know we havent won anything here in limerick since the league couple years ago so a bit like ye I probably shouldnt be throing stones either.

Just my thoughts and as someone said maybe the christy Ring is for ye !!!
ashwoodgael=bogashcaman perhaps? Wum for sure.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

chocoholic

We've no real county tradition here in Antrim and in particular in Belfast.  It really isn't an aspiration of a lot of people to play senior county unfortunately.  All the love is for the clubs in Antrim and not for the county.

I understand that success builds that tradition.  For example, for all the success that the footballers have had in recent years (Ulster Final, running Kerry close and at least being competitive), there has been a bit of a swell in terms of support amongst your ordinary Joe's out there who might not even be a member of a club ala Dublin supporters.

But let's cut to the chase, its down to each and every individual club to get up there to the standards set by our big 2/3/4.  I believe it is much harder for city clubs to do this but even still, there is never more than 2 clubs coming out of the city who are as good as each other.  Until every club makes a genuine effort to get numbers, raise the standard of coaching and players and be adventurous, then the status quo will remain.

Another important point to make though is that the county board, Ulster council need to start making demands that Belfast, Ireland's second city, is given the same treatment that Dublin has been given.  Why wouldn't they?

optimus cheese

Quote from: CitySlicker11 on July 03, 2012, 01:09:30 AM
IMO I don't see why we don't try another year in the Christy Ring, it has helped teams like Westmeath recently, and one year, if we win fair enough, but taking tankings like that on Sunday do nobody any harm. How is the u21 set up going, I know they were trying to put a lot more emphasis on it this year, so fair play to them, however are the players buying in to it?

I don't see the point TBH. When we were in it we were the ones handing out tankings to Roscommon, Kildare etc and it really was a waste of time. The way the CR is now, Carlow, Westmeath etc have all won it and are in the McCarthy so it would in reality be 2 levels we drop to. I don't see the benefit of this at all. Westmeath and Carlow have made progress, not because of their CR wins, but they are getting the structures right from underage and the county's don't seem to be blighted by all this childish in-fighting and yapping that we are subject too here. There are too many buffoons in this county that need to grow up and realise there is a bigger picture, not just about their own wee areas, parish's or clubs, but the long-term future of the sport in this county, never mind winning things.

AshwoodGael

Sorry cuz, not used to northern slang. What does wum mean ?

No one seems to disagree with my sentiments anyway lads  which is good.

It shows maybe ye are mature enough  to take criticism on the chin. I wasnt meaning to belittle ye but its no harm ye know yere limitations to be honest.

Anyway, we all love the game of hurling. I havent been able to play it since I fell off f&&&ing tractor three years ago now and lost a leg. I had to start from the bottom up and ye should do the same in the christy ring lads.

Best of luck in future endeavours.

chocoholic

No amount of 'ye' are going to convince anyone.

AQMP

Quote from: AshwoodGael on July 03, 2012, 11:18:07 AM
Sorry cuz, not used to northern slang. What does wum mean ?

No one seems to disagree with my sentiments anyway lads  which is good.

It shows maybe ye are mature enough  to take criticism on the chin. I wasnt meaning to belittle ye but its no harm ye know yere limitations to be honest.

Anyway, we all love the game of hurling. I havent been able to play it since I fell off f&&&ing tractor three years ago now and lost a leg. I had to start from the bottom up and ye should do the same in the christy ring lads.

Best of luck in future endeavours.

Olly..is that you?!

Farrandeelin

I'm not sure if entering the Christy Ring would suit Antrim, ok you'd win it but it would probably be at a canter.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

imtommygunn

The westmeaths, laois's , maybe carlow and then teams like antrim are too strong for christy ring and then too weak for the liam mccarthy.

Our hope is totake one or two scalps a year if possible.

Last time we played christy ring the final was over after about ten minutes - wasn't competitive at all.

Tony Baloney

It's not that many years ago we were being convinced of being close to Offaly and Wexford never mind Laois and Carlow. The current setup does a huge disservice to the tweener teams like Antrim.

Shara Fuggers

Very interesting, some of you boys should run for the managers job when Nelson departs.

Shara Fuggers

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 03, 2012, 11:40:56 PM
The westmeaths, laois's , maybe carlow and then teams like antrim are too strong for christy ring and then too weak for the liam mccarthy.

Our hope is totake one or two scalps a year if possible.

Last time we played christy ring the final was over after about ten minutes - wasn't competitive at all.
The two scalps you allude to, would that be the county secretary and JW by chance?  Count me in, I'm sharpening the blade  :(

drici

LIMERICK hurler Wayne McNamara is happy with his side's new found ruthless streak after they recorded big wins over Antrim and Laois over the last two weekends.

Limerick were 6-21 to 1-11 winners over Laois in the opening round of All Ireland Hurling Qualifiers before following that up with an 8-26 to 1-15 win over Antrim in the Gaelic Grounds last weekend. They now await the winners of Cork/Offaly and Clare/Dublin in the next round.

"We want to consider ourselves a good team and to do that you have to kill off games," explained the Adare man of the new killer instinct.

"We went out to blitz them early and then at half time we questioned ourselves about what would a good team do and that was to kill them off and we came out in the first few minutes of the second half and put them away," he outlined.

"We are going in the right direction – it's work in progress but everyone is working hard," he said.

Although the win over Antrim was one way traffic from Sean Tobin's opening minute goal, McNamara said that there would still be lessons to be learned.

"You can always take positives and negatives like we have all year – in these games you get to work on a pattern of play and today it was a bit better than the last day. We played the same pattern against Tipp and I think every day it gets better," he said.

"The first 15-20 minutes we played very well and then we died and that can happen after scoring five goals. We are only in year two of development and maybe it was a bit of inexperience and when you blitz them like that maybe it was a bit of complacency," he explained.

Limerick notched 5-3 in the opening 17 minutes but then faded and allowed Antrim to register 13 points when wind assisted in the first half. The final 20 minutes of the half saw Limerick score just four points – compared to eight for Antrim.

"We want to kill them off in the fist 15-minutes so we kept going for the jugular and then when we got in at half time we spoke about what a good team would do and that was kill the game off," said McNamara.

With 25 and 33 point victories in the qualifiers, could there is a fear that Limerick were not sufficiently tested through the backdoor route?

"There is," accepted McNamara.

"But there was against Tipp as well and we didn't do too bad. Competition is there for places and lads want to win. Training is going well and everyone is working hard and its all good. Lads are fresh and there is an honesty there in every training session - we are getting stronger and fitter," he outlined.

In two weeks time they'll be up against Clare, Dublin, Offaly or Cork.

"What we need is a big win," said McNamara.

"We are looking forward to it - We want to play good teams and beat them. We will go out to win - it's going to be a massive game but we will approach it positively. We are only in year two and we have got to realise that too. I just turned 26 and I am one of the oldest on the panel so there is lots to come – the average age would be 22/23."

Buswhacker

Let's face everything's gone downhill since Mr D.Cahill departed these shores.Come back all is forgiven.