Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hurler24

I would agree its hard to look by an LG win especially after a poor dip in form from our boys.But a good performance to build for championship would be good.I dunno about the sending off.Apart from the Portaferry game the Town have had much improved discipline!

theskull1

I don't for a second believe that anyone had any other intention than to rib BW for the tripe he was spouting a while back regarding the makeup of the county squad. The problems run deeper and a wiser man would have known it. People were just having their fun ... end of. No one will ever blame DD for being a poor goalkeeper because he isnt.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Cannon Fodder

Was at todays match not good viewing at all. No fight, no passion not typical of any Antrim teams that i have watched before. Also alot of individuals out of their depth in my opinion but at least they want to put on the saffron jersey. Even our more experienced players got the run around. Body language didnt look good certainly problems to be ironed out but who would want this post at the moment.  :-[

Not sure on limerick took their foot off the gas for 15 or 20 minsfirst half  cannot afford to do  that against the big guns.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: theskull1 on July 01, 2012, 12:41:15 AM
I don't for a second believe that anyone had any other intention than to rib BW for the tripe he was spouting a while back regarding the makeup of the county squad. The problems run deeper and a wiser man would have known it. People were just having their fun ... end of. No one will ever blame DD for being a poor goalkeeper because he isn't.

+1 plenty of respect for the LG players and JN(no respect for BW and he does leave himself wide open for it). I'm a big antrim fan even after today. I think everyone on here that wasn't wearing red and white tinted glasses knew we where in for a pasting but i didn't think we would leak 8 goals. we played limerick last year and where giving there fill of it in Parnell park to KS was sent off so i don't think we are that bad or limerick that good
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Buswhacker

Talking about tripe and "wiser man"...theskull 1... and " no respect" from north-antrim -hound."Red and white" tinted glasses etc. etc..
I can fairly get you pompous lot going....works every time.....I enjoy leaving myself "wide open for it",eg. LG reserves on county team etc.
you fall for it every time.You take yourselves far too seriously.This discussion about Antrim hurling has been going round in circles for far too long,you're opinion (or mine) doesn't matter a toss to those in power.
We haven't the players or back up to get any further than we are.....you should know that by now.

Milltown Row2

For anyone to think I was taking the piss out of DD Quinn is completely of their rocker, I wasn't at the match so can't comment of his performance nor that of the defenders around him allowing their players to have that opportunity in the first place to shoot on goal!!!

So wind your fooking necks in, I'm all for defending my own club players but you Loughgiel lads take it to a different level. Was busy yesterday so never got to the computer to see all the abuse I took for a little jibe, mainly at the set up in fairness and not DD.

Will probably comment on this later if I get the chance. "Shambols"  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

maxpower

How did the feis go?
What happens next????

drici

Limerick 8-26  Antrim 1-15

RECORDS were smashed all round in the Gaelic Grounds on Saturday as the Limerick senior hurlers eased into round three of the All Ireland Qualifiers.

The harsh reality is that the game was all but over after 11 minutes when Limerick were 4-02 to 0-02 ahead.

Just like the 6-21 to 1-11 win over Laois the previous Saturday, Limerick certainly approached this game in the right mentality and set about putting the game beyond doubt as soon as possible.

While no one likes to see any side on the end of a result like this, there is a welcome ruthless steak developing in this Limerick side.

When hot favorites likes Limerick were the trick is to put the underdogs on the back foot early and not allow any suggestion of an upset. The backdoor route can often throw up shocks or uneasy victories, but John Allen's Limerick have gone about the two games to date in a most impressive fashion.

Including the Tipperary game, Allen and his management team of John Kiely, Eamonn Meskell and Donach O'Donnell have now given championship match experience to 26 players – just four on the panel are yet to feature.

Real options are developing and hopefully they could yet get a game when all 30 players are match fit but at present Conor Allis, Paul Browne, Kevin Downes all missed the Antrim game injured, while captain David Breen was forced off injured after just 15 minutes.

Next up for Limerick will be a tie on the weekend of July 14/15 against either Clare or Dublin, or Cork or Offaly. That tie will be played at a neutral venue and a victory would return Limerick to the Quarter Final stage that they reached last season.

If nothing else the combined 14-47 scored against Laois and Antrim means that, for once, confidence should be high among the exciting talents of the young forwards.

Again this one-sided win over Antrim displayed the scoring power that now exists in Limerick and while the opposition was far from impressive, the Shannonsiders still had to put the ball between the posts and indeed notched just six wides, compared to 17 for Antrim.

Antrim won the toss and opted to play with the wind and from the throw in the Limerick tactic was clear.

Firstly Thomas O'Brien ran at the defence and when he laid off to Sean Tobin he rattled home the first goal inside a minute.

Four minutes later, David Breen again ran directly at the defence and this time it was his club colleague Shane Dowling that found the net.

And, the trend continued with Niall Moran and Dowling adding goals in succession in the 7th and 8th minutes.

At 4-02 to 0-02 and with Antrim playing with the strong wind the result was already a forgone conclusion with all of 59 minutes still to play.

The fifth goal came in the 16th minute when this time it was Graeme Mulcahy that raced through the defence to net the net.

Dowling added a free to leave it 5-03 to 0-05.

Limerick then completely took the foot off the pedal for the remaining 20-odd minutes.

Antrim were allowed too much space and duly brought their tally to 13 points and it could have been more but for their 11 wides.

Limerick simply didn't complete for the closing 20 minutes of the half, although there were late points from sub Declan Hannon, Thomas O'Brien and Mulcahy to leave it 5-07 to 0-13 at the break.

The lacklustre attitude of the second quarter was completely absent on the change of ends. Clearly questions were asked of the players at Half Time and unfortunately for an Antrim point of view Limerick were very impressive in the second half.

The three goals of the half came in the 4th minute (Dowling), 16th (Moran) and 17th Mulcahy).

Antrim scored just twice – McAuley point in the seventh minute and then McManus goaled in the dying seconds.

They almost grabbed a second goal but an injury time penalty from Liam Watson was saved by a combination of Donal O'Grady and debutante Aaron Murphy.

SCORERS
Limerick: Shane Dowling 3-9 (0-5 frees, 0-1 '65), Graeme Mulcahy 2-4, Declan Hannon 0-6, Sean Tobin 1-3, Niall Moran 2-0, Seanie O'Brien 0-2, Thomas O'Brien, Richie McCarthy 0-1 each.

Antrim: Liam Watson 0-6 (five frees), Neil McManus 1-1, Shane McNaughton 0-3, Barney McAuley 0-2, Neil McAuley, Eddie McClosky 0-1 each.

LIMERICK – Nickie Quaid; Stephen Walsh, Richie McCarthy, Tom Condon; Wayne McNamara, Donal O'Grady, Gavin O'Mahony; Thomas O'Brien, James Ryan; Shane Dowling, Brian Geary, David Breen; Graeme Mulcahy, Niall Moran, Sean Tobin. Subs: Declan Hannon for Breen (injured - 15mins), Aaron Murphy for Quaid (injured - half time), Seanie O'Brien for Geary (51 mins), Shane O'Neill for Condon (52mins), Seamus Hickey for McNamara (54mins).

ANTRIM – Damien Quinn; PJ O'Connell, Neil McGarry, Aaron Graffin; Neil McAuley, Johnny Campbell, Michael Gettens; Barney McAuley, Shane McNaughton; Eddie McClosky, Neil McManus, Barry McFall; Liam Watson, Conor Carson, Paul Shiels. Subs: John Kerr for O'Connell, inj (20mins), Joey Scullion for McFall (h-t) Michael Herron for Gettens (46mins).

REFEREE – Johnny Ryan (Tipperary).

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 01, 2012, 11:23:13 AM
For anyone to think I was taking the piss out of DD Quinn is completely of their rocker, I wasn't at the match so can't comment of his performance nor that of the defenders around him allowing their players to have that opportunity in the first place to shoot on goal!!!

So wind your fooking necks in, I'm all for defending my own club players but you Loughgiel lads take it to a different level. Was busy yesterday so never got to the computer to see all the abuse I took for a little jibe, mainly at the set up in fairness and not DD.

you're a good one for the jibes at loughgiel mr2, if you don't want the reaction you got, think before you spout.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on July 02, 2012, 12:06:07 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 01, 2012, 11:23:13 AM

you're a good one for the jibes at loughgiel mr2, if you don't want the reaction you got, think before you spout.

It would not have mattered who was doing nets, had he have been a Galls man doing nets I'd have posted the same thing. The reaction didn't bother me though. By the way I was Loughgiels biggest supporter during the campaign. went down to last two semi finals at Parnell FFS
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

saffron89

just wondering what odds Derry are to beat the saffs

anyword of the managerial candidates???

The way things work in 'Jerry World' he might fancy a rip at the hot seat again

Last Man

Quote from: maxpower on July 02, 2012, 09:13:15 AM
How did the feis go?
As far as the senior hurling was concerned it was a tame enough affair with no real bite to it. some decent passages of play but completely lacking in atmosphere and any sense of occasion. Has the feis competition been devalued by last years debacle??
I havent watched any senior camogie in a while but the ladies certainly didnt hold back, some good players on show.
McMullan cup final, the worst I can remember, completely dominated by young McN...some player though.

the colonel

Quote from: Last Man on July 02, 2012, 03:02:28 PM
Quote from: maxpower on July 02, 2012, 09:13:15 AM
How did the feis go?
As far as the senior hurling was concerned it was a tame enough affair with no real bite to it. some decent passages of play but completely lacking in atmosphere and any sense of occasion. Has the feis competition been devalued by last years debacle??
I havent watched any senior camogie in a while but the ladies certainly didnt hold back, some good players on show.
McMullan cup final, the worst I can remember, completely dominated by young McN...some player though.

The senior game wasn't too bad I thought. Both teams missing players (Ballycastle probably more disadvantaged because of the strength of their squad doesn't allow them to keep to the same level- Ronan Donnelly making a comeback for example!). Loughgiel always looked like they were going to win but it wasn't overly comfortable. Strange start with EMcC handpassing the ball over the bar which I am sure is illegal? MIBAG to confirm this! Wasn't an awful lot of bite to the game either.

As regards to the McMullan Cup, we have a strong team, which is lead by Christy McNaughton who as Last Man said is some player. The Cushendun v Glenravel game was quite entertaining which was a good physical battle to say the least!
the difference between success and failure is energy

AshwoodGael

As a Limerick man I arrived at match saturday evening a few minutes late and the game was all but over at that stage. Some cretin had parked in a disabled spot and took me an age to get wheelchair out of car. As i said it was over when i got in.

In fairness lads the quality of ye're players isnt up to it and the lack of effort ?? What was the point of the manager introduciing new players to ye're panel and from his own club I understand too.

As the old saying goes you cant make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

Ye have to accept ye dont have the players or the commitment either. From reading the posts ye do be putting on here ye are impossible to please.  Jaysus Seomroga in Exille you'd want to chill out. Your like a man that thinks he knows it all with some inside track or whatever. Ye seem to be more interested in club matches which is fair enough.

Your man J Wallace  was down here in Limerick and all i can say from talking to the lads I know on the county scene is he really knows his stuff and is dedicated to the last. They'd have him back in the morning I have been told by several. . I think maybe he is a bit too professional for ye're set up just yet. If I was ye i wouldnt honestly question his input as i dont think he's a miracle worker. If ye're posts are anything to go by ye seem to do an amount of infighting like we used do for few years. Stop the bickering between ye're few senior clubs and work togetehr.

I know we havent won anything here in limerick since the league couple years ago so a bit like ye I probably shouldnt be throing stones either.

Just my thoughts and as someone said maybe the christy Ring is for ye !!!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: AshwoodGael on July 02, 2012, 10:47:11 PM
As a Limerick man I arrived at match saturday evening a few minutes late and the game was all but over at that stage.

In fairness lads the quality of ye're players isnt up to it and the lack of effort ?? What was the point of the manager introduciing new players to ye're panel and from his own club I understand too.

As the old saying goes you cant make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

Ye have to accept ye dont have the players or the commitment either. From reading the posts ye do be putting on here ye are impossible to please.  Jaysus Seomroga in Exille you'd want to chill out. Your like a man that thinks he knows it all with some inside track or whatever. Ye seem to be more interested in club matches which is fair enough.

Your man J Wallace  was down here in Limerick and all i can say from talking to the lads I know on the county scene is he knows his stuff and is dedicated to the last. They'd have him back in the morning. I think maybe he is a bit too professional for ye're set up just yet.

I know we havent won anything here in limerick since the league couple years ago so a bit like ye I probably shouldnt be throing stones either.

Just my thoughts and as someone said maybe the christy Ring is for ye !!!

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

WUM?