Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

Are the semi finals this weekend?

Any fall out from the county boys having to come home from Kilkenny on the Saturday evening? I would imagine JW wasnt a happy man

DearyMe

Quote from: NAG1 on May 08, 2012, 01:57:22 PM

Any fall out from the county boys having to come home from Kilkenny on the Saturday evening? I would imagine JW wasnt a happy man

Think he understood the situation, and rightly so.
I thought it would have been a good opportunity to bond the team in the wake of Dick stepping down.
Heard rsult from game, but anyone shed any light on performance?

Full back line?
Do not wait to strike until the iron is hot, but make it hot by striking!

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: NAG1 on May 08, 2012, 01:57:22 PM

The semis are on the 21st May.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

the colonel

Conor Carson was full back and very good apparently
the difference between success and failure is energy

imtommygunn

I saw him play there quite a few times at underage and thought he was exceptional. Granted that was underage but I think he's much better suited to defense.

Milltown Row2

Well either way we should win by at least 10 points, that is, if we manage to bring a Championship edge to the game, if they go out and think they will win cause it's Westmeath then they will be in a battle for sure. Jerry's First Championship game with Antrim, Hope the attitude is right for the game.

Remember Westmeath couldn't play in the championship because of Antrim, so they will have something to play for
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NAG1

Quote from: Aerlik on May 08, 2012, 08:57:40 AM
Quote from: derrylad89 on May 07, 2012, 10:14:05 PM
i see slaughtneils minors played st john's in Antrim league last week is this a new thing or is their other Derry hurling teams in the Antrim league does it promote hurling in our own county? does this only happen at minor level and if so do they play Antrim championship i dont recall the good dungiven and lavey teams playing Antrim league in the 90's but i may be mistaken? it gota be tuff for dual clubs i would imagine its the same players playing both codes in these parishes?

One of my most prized medals is that for winning the Centenary Year 1984 Antrim Minor Hurling League with Lavey, when we dropped a single point v. Cushendall all season.  The standard was great too, and every game was a final.  There were fisticuffs v. GortnaMona and the CowHallions but otherwise the reception of the main Glens and city clubs for us was fantastic.  Loughgiel in particular went out of their way to make us welcome and when we beat them to win the competition, they couldn't have been fairer.  The home crowd cheered us off the pitch - possibly something to do with the fact that had we lost, we'd have been pipped by their "neighbours" by a point, I believe.  28 years later and I was as happy as any Loughgiel man when they lifted the cup in Croker.

Several of the Antrim clubs had no objection to us playing in the Antrim Minor championship as they saw it as the spreading of the beautiful game further west of the Bann, but guess who were the principal objectors?  Little wonder there was/is no love lost between the Hallions and other clubs.

Just spotted this on another thread thought it was relevant on here.
Hate people spouting BS  when they know nothing about, '84 centenary LEAGUE. Lavey could play in any league they wanted but not in an Antrim championship. I think the poster should be more grateful to the teams in Antrim who are welcoming their Derry cousins into their leagues and Go Games etc for the betterment of Ulster Hurling, havent seen the Derry board or Derry clubs coming up with something to do the same. So a bit more graciousness for those clubs going out of their way to help you would be much appreciated.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: NAG1 on May 08, 2012, 10:58:50 PM
i see slaughtneils minors played st john's in Antrim league last week is this a new thing or is their other Derry hurling teams in the Antrim league does it promote hurling in our own county? does this only happen at minor level and if so do they play Antrim championship i dont recall the good dungiven and lavey teams playing Antrim league in the 90's but i may be mistaken? it gota be tuff for dual clubs i would imagine its the same players playing both codes in these parishes?

One of my most prized medals is that for winning the Centenary Year 1984 Antrim Minor Hurling League with Lavey, when we dropped a single point v. Cushendall all season.  The standard was great too, and every game was a final.  There were fisticuffs v. GortnaMona and the CowHallions but otherwise the reception of the main Glens and city clubs for us was fantastic.  Loughgiel in particular went out of their way to make us welcome and when we beat them to win the competition, they couldn't have been fairer.  The home crowd cheered us off the pitch - possibly something to do with the fact that had we lost, we'd have been pipped by their "neighbours" by a point, I believe.  28 years later and I was as happy as any Loughgiel man when they lifted the cup in Croker.

Several of the Antrim clubs had no objection to us playing in the Antrim Minor championship as they saw it as the spreading of the beautiful game further west of the Bann, but guess who were the principal objectors?  Little wonder there was/is no love lost between the Hallions and other clubs.

Hate people spouting BS  when they know nothing about, '84 centenary LEAGUE. Lavey could play in any league they wanted but not in an Antrim championship. I think the poster should be more grateful to the teams in Antrim who are welcoming their Derry cousins into their leagues and Go Games etc for the betterment of Ulster Hurling, havent seen the Derry board or Derry clubs coming up with something to do the same. So a bit more graciousness for those clubs going out of their way to help you would be much appreciated.

I remember heading to Lavey during the minor league, (Christ that was some time ago 88) was some game, there wasn't a hand that didn't have a cut on it and a game that was played hard but fair, think they beat us by 2 points. I wouldn't worry about that post NAG1, understand youre point but not worth the effort, what have they done since? Dungiven seem to be the only team that has actually put any effort in hurling since (bar the odd blip) so move on otherwise it will bring out a few trolls to have a swipe or two :o
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NAG1

Yeah agreed MR2 but just gets the goat  ;)

north_antrim_hound

excuse my ignorance but who are the cowhallions
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: hardstation on May 09, 2012, 11:12:19 AM
Quote from: north_antrim_hound on May 09, 2012, 10:51:04 AM
excuse my ignorance but who are the cowhallions
Dunloy, I imagine.

CĂșchulainns/Cowhallions.

oh right that figures bad blood between us and them, all our fault of course
Some sort of Lavey/Perth joke.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Last Man

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 08, 2012, 11:10:45 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on May 08, 2012, 10:58:50 PM

I remember heading to Lavey during the minor league, (Christ that was some time ago 88) was some game, there wasn't a hand that didn't have a cut on it and a game that was played hard but fair, think they beat us by 2 points. I wouldn't worry about that post NAG1, understand youre point but not worth the effort, what have they done since? Dungiven seem to be the only team that has actually put any effort in hurling since (bar the odd blip) so move on otherwise it will bring out a few trolls to have a swipe or two :o
I remember playing Lavey regularly at underage during the 80s against the Mcgurks,Downeys, Shack,Buffer etc, there was always a bite to the games because there was nothing between us but nothing ridiculous. Considering the characters involved I can't see what he's getting on his high horse about.

CornerBackNo2

Heard a rumour that Wallace has quit?

tom moore83

NAG1

Where is this coming from then lads?