johnneycool

Quote from: hardstation on April 19, 2012, 03:41:55 PM
Why are RGU in this debate?

Large town with single code club.

btdtgtt

Great point HS I missed that one!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: btdtgtt on April 19, 2012, 01:36:27 PM
Yes! I think Cargin should be winning more - but then no doubt they can viably argue that they would be only for an exceptional once in a generation Galls team.
Also, have Loughuile and Cushendall not contested the past 2 hurling finals - one code clubs!
Even if we factor in St Galls football and Dunloy hurling - these are clubs which evidently favour one code!

So yes! The results on the pitch support my argument!

Look at the leagues - Cargin are a one code club who again only have been foiled from routine league wins by the freak Galls outfit. The prominance of South/West clubs has risen also. The hurling league is routinely won by single code Loughiel followed by single codes Cushendall and hurling dominant Dunloy. Before that the last winners (I believe) were single code Portaferry!

Now there are ofcourse other examples which dont fit the rule (e.g) Downpatrick as you mention.
However I am not saying single/dual codes is the only factor. For example, Carey or Glenarriffe are single codes but will point to catchment as a mitigating factor. I've no idea about Downpatrick maybe they dont have a large football tradition or lose players to more traditional outlying clubs I dont know but I am sure someone in Downpatrick might tell us!

On the other hand look at some dual clubs like Gort, Rossa, Lamh Dearg, Sarsfields and maybe Clooney/Aghohill etc - they promote both codes equally and so are hardly standing on the steps of Casement regularly at senior level?!
In 1988 St Johns won the football (whilst having a strong hurling side) and Rossa won the hurling (while having a strong football side). This has not happened in a single year since - thats nearly a quarter of a century ago guys! And I dont see it changing anytime soon! St Johns did the double in the 60s I dont think this will ever be repeated!

In summary - I obviously know that there are many factors at play in determining a clubs success - but I think a major one is whether or not they are a dual club. And the influence of this factor has grown since the 60/70/80s when clubs could win both championships. I think it will continue to more and more apparent.

After all, Loughiel have a massive number of players and two pitches - if they were in someway forced to introduce football I bet the major objection would be (and rightly) "No - becasue it will affect hurling fortunes". Thats says it all.

To finish - single code clubs by definition can focus on one goal - they have a huge advantage over dual code clubs serving two masters and having split loyalties.
Anyone who disputes that...
Well I don't know...

Look we have played in two recent Senior Championship hurling finals, losing to Loughgiel by 3 and losing out to Cushendall by one, both years we won the senior football final, to say it can't be done is silly and while I agree If we could concentrate on the hurling we may have a chance but then again we may not. Loughgiel waited years to win one and have only recently after 18 years won two and an All Ireland to boot. So your argument of solely focusing on one goal (as  Glenarriffe do) doesn't mean you are going to win one.

Only a couple of years ago St Johns got to football final and lost a semi final in the hurling after putting up a good show in the first half against Loughgiel. So these are recent dual clubs doing well.

You used the league for some reason, ask a Cargin man where are his league medals and he'll not know. It means nothing to them. The only leagues worth winning are the ones that promote you. But you'd know that.

I'll not harp on about the dual club thing, we are a club who'll go out to try and improve hurling within our club what our footballers do has never really hampered us, the lads that play both play both have had 3 outings at Croke park in finals for their club. I'll take that as success. Anyone that thinks that's mediocrity is fooling himself.

We won Championships in football before this team came along, even managed a Ulster title and lost an all Ireland semi final by a point. Followed that by being in the Ulster final the following year losing out to Burren, now that was a great team also.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Hurler24

BlackandAmber

Havent been able to get to any of the towns first two league games.Who all have we still to come back in?

And a win for our reserves and what looks like a decent show against Ballygalget?Whats happened the reserve this year as the last game i was at the were slaughtered.

Seamroga in exile

Cushendall started as a dual club, hurling eventually took over in the late 60s or early 70s . Loughgiel have attempted football on several occasions throughout the years and each time it failed due to lack of interest from perspective players, hurling won out again. Cargin's first championship was an Antrim junior hurling title in 1937, but as we all know, football won out there.

It's not as simple as "all clubs should be dual clubs". There has to be interest in it in the first place or it'll fade away no matter how hard clubs try to promote any of the two codes. The fact remains that it is not a prerequisite for clubs within the GAA to have teams playing in both codes.  Therefore, it's a null and void argument.  If a club wishes to continue as a dual club then fair play to them, but it's their choice. No point coming on here or anywhere else gurning about it. It is what it is.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

NAG1

Quote from: hardstation on April 20, 2012, 08:06:25 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 19, 2012, 08:01:01 PM
Look we have played in two recent Senior Championship hurling finals, losing to Loughgiel by 3 and losing out to Cushendall by one, both years we won the senior football final

Run that one by me again......

semi finals?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on April 20, 2012, 08:06:25 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 19, 2012, 08:01:01 PM
Look we have played in two recent Senior Championship hurling finals, losing to Loughgiel by 3 and losing out to Cushendall by one, both years we won the senior football final

Run that one by me again......
Sorry, semi finals, and you knew nob head ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

btdtgtt

Ok I can feels this debate coming to its natural conclusion - we all know where we stand.
MR2 I'm not sure playing in semi-finals constitutes success - like I said particularly when I was comparing it to the exploits of your own footballers.

But I concluding with my point in brief:

"Single code clubs by definition can focus on one goal - they have a huge advantage over dual code clubs serving two masters and having split loyalties."

Thats the crux of the point I was making and like I said I dont think it can be argued with.

So turining to other matters - did anyone hear anything about Paul Shiels and Barney McAuley being axed from the county squad?

Last Man

"So turining to other matters - did anyone hear anything about Paul Shiels and Barney McAuley being axed from the county squad?"

No real surprise there, Shorty could do with a rest and Dunloy need him more than ever and Barney who i rate highly, cant see who he would unseat to stay on the panel.

NAG1

Not getting in speculating about whether they have left the panel or not but, IMHO BMcA was not of the standard the first time he was on the IC panel and i dont think the intervening years would have changed this, my personal opinion.

btdtgtt

Would have thought if Barney wasnt up to it then why call him up for a week or two?

Maybe Shorty will be back with Dunloy (who'll be delighted) and then return later if a rest is what he needs?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: btdtgtt on April 20, 2012, 09:40:37 AM
Ok I can feels this debate coming to its natural conclusion - we all know where we stand.
MR2 I'm not sure playing in semi-finals constitutes success - like I said particularly when I was comparing it to the exploits of your own footballers.

But I concluding with my point in brief:

"Single code clubs by definition can focus on one goal - they have a huge advantage over dual code clubs serving two masters and having split loyalties."

Thats the crux of the point I was making and like I said I dont think it can be argued with.

So turining to other matters - did anyone hear anything about Paul Shiels and Barney McAuley being axed from the county squad?

I would also conclude that it is only you that think this, any of the clubs that play hurling would want to be in our position with a chance of appearing in a final.

BlackandAmber

Quote from: Hurler24 on April 19, 2012, 08:17:06 PM
BlackandAmber

Havent been able to get to any of the towns first two league games.Who all have we still to come back in?

And a win for our reserves and what looks like a decent show against Ballygalget?Whats happened the reserve this year as the last game i was at the were slaughtered.

Me too Hurler24. I never get tomany games cos of work stuff but hopin this year to get to more with them being Sunday games.

Johnycool says Pinky was on last Sunday in Ballygalget, Hippy Matty KB McShane G Laverty S McGarry still out I think. Lots of talk about C Clarke S Jennings P Dallat coming back but all I heard was that Jenning came on as a sub v St Johns for 10 minutes.

think mebbe we got a bigger panel this year with new management gettin boys to comit a bit more and a load of young boys comin thru.

BlackandAmber

Predictions this weekend
Dunloy V Cushendall - If Dunloy win it could be close but Cushendall could win by 8/10 points. I'll go for Cushendall
Loughgeil V Ballycran - Loughgeil by as much as they want
St Johns V Ballygalget - ST Johns drew wth the Town & the Town beat Ballygalget so St Johns to win
Portaferry V Ballycastle - I'll go for the Town specialy if Hippy is back they  went down to Ballygalget and won last week.

btdtgtt

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 20, 2012, 11:00:37 AM
Quote from: btdtgtt on April 20, 2012, 09:40:37 AM
MR2 I'm not sure playing in semi-finals constitutes success - like I said particularly when I was comparing it to the exploits of your own footballers. But I concluding with my point in brief:

I would also conclude that it is only you that think this, any of the clubs that play hurling would want to be in our position with a chance of appearing in a final.