Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seamroga in exile

What do I know? Yous are all right.   Isn't that correct MR2?

I wasn't at the Antrim match today. But that's not what I'm basing my opinion on. I'm basing it on what I've been seeing in front of my eyes for the last 8 months or so. And I've seen a lot of him. He's a gem.

Maybe you are right about "one for the future" but I don't think kilkenny, tipp or cork think like that. Get him in there and see what happens.

Joey this year is a different player from previous years.  He knows what's expected of him and he has produced the goods. He's the boy that's still putting his body on the line back in the half backs when the rest are up hoping for a jammy point. And he'll gladly win the ball and give it. We couldn't do without him. 
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

imtommygunn

Made up of mostly division 2 and 3 players? Herron, Gettins,  the corner back from Rossa ,Stewart, Hamill and McToal were our non division 1 players .

That's 6 from 15 which hardly qualifies as "mostly". You also consider Glenariff were relegated at end of last year then 2 of those 6 were playing division 1 for the last good few years. Only 1 of those players is division 3 as well.

Other counties pick non division 1 players too so I don't see why we can't do it. There's no reason individuals from these teams can't be among the best in the county.

Club and county level are very different as alluded to previously buswhacker. We'll never know if Loughgiel would beat that county team but it's fair to say you're probably getting a bit carried away with that statement

Joey Scullion has struggled at county level with antrim but at times he struggled at club level previously and was excellent this year. He probably deserves a crack but with Watson and McCloskey to come back into the forwards he'd have to fight for a place.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Buswhacker on March 25, 2012, 10:05:51 PM
Do you mean to say that Joey would struggle in a county team made up of mostly Div 2 and 3 players.I think that's our problem we need to bring in more Div1 players.I  don't see how Div.2 and 3 players can be up to it,given the standard of opposition they meet week after week. Do you think the county team would beat Loughgiel ?

dont know if he would struggle this time round or not but hes had his chances in the past. imm game on for giving him another shot but if you cant accept hes up against better players at county level. by the way tipp and kilkenny play division 2 and three players so thats sorted that theory. Imm glad your not our intercounty manager. I hope you get loughgeil when pj steps down, will give the rest of us a better chance
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Buswhacker

Carried away ?.......... only a thought.But there are players in Dunloy,Loughgiel and the Dall who I would have in my team who never get a chance at county level.

Seamroga in exile

Boys. Its hypothetical. But let's get this into perspective. We played glenariffe yesterday. All but 4 players were reserves. Beat them by 8 or 9 points. On that way of going should our reserves not get a chance at the county?  Let's face it, they beat all in front of them last year and were unlucky not to beat glenariffe in their  warm up match for the championship. I'd fancy our reserves against a few in the championship. I'm sure Cushendall would too.

Minder

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on March 25, 2012, 10:29:45 PM
Boys. Its hypothetical. But let's get this into perspective. We played glenariffe yesterday. All but 4 players were reserves. Beat them by 8 or 9 points. On that way of going should our reserves not get a chance at the county?  Let's face, they beat all in front of them last year and were unlucky not to beat glenariffe in their warm up match for the championship.

Quote from: Buswhacker on March 25, 2012, 10:28:00 PM
Carried away ?.......... only a thought.But there are players in Dunloy,Loughgiel and the Dall who I would have in my team who never get a chance at county level.

Do you think any of your reserves should get a crack at the county team?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Seamroga in exile

Yes. But I'm not going to name them here. they'll get their chance.

Buswhacker

Div2 hurling in Tipp etc. would be of a  higher standard than in Antrim I would have thought.

Minder

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on March 25, 2012, 10:33:17 PM
Yes. But I'm not going to name them here. they'll get their chance.

I think the heat is getting to some of you. So fellas that can't get on the Loughgiel team, and are probably kept off the Loughgiel team by fellas that haven't been able to cut it at IC level will get their chance with the county?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Seamroga in exile

With our seniors first, but yes, they will. Btw, we don't have an ic team. But won everything at senior reserves at a canter. 

Buswhacker

Loughgiel reserves would probably win the IC.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Buswhacker on March 25, 2012, 10:35:47 PM
Div2 hurling in Tipp etc. would be of a  higher standard than in Antrim I would have thought.

That's not the point though - it's all relative.

Also a point to note is at the minute we only have the pick of 4 from 8 division 1 teams anyway.

I think maybe we should wait a month or so debating with some of you boys given some of the stuff you're coming out with ???

Almost all of the cushendall team have got some kind of county experience and most of those that haven't but merit it are "up and coming". Dunloy I would say have a few boys who maybe could be given a bit more time. Loughgiel would be pretty much the same as cushendall in this regard.

Two Hands FFS

I would say Ronan McCloskey would be a good enough option for the squad(not a starter yet) but if I was from Loughgiel i'd be happier if he waited til next year. What happenned Kevin Molloy?
I know the Loughgiel boys will bring back a few better options but we had very little on the bench

Good to see Shorty back.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Buswhacker on March 25, 2012, 10:35:47 PM

Middletown Armagh beat the Munster champions, a Limerick Div 2 team. Would you have thought that Limerick Div 2 was better than Antrim Div 2?

We beat the Galway Intermediate champions, does that mean we (Antrim) is better than all those teams?

Bushwacker, think before you post please.

Getting carried away here, we were talking about Antrim's performance yesterday and all of a sudden Loughgiel will beat county teams, their reserve players should be on the county team, and Div 2/3 players are crap and shouldn't be on the team!!!! WTF I took on a lot of sun yesterday and head/dome slightly burnt but some guys out there are delirious!!

Anyways, Limerick next. Will Antrim have their main players back? If they do, by the posts on here, we should hammer them considering what Loughgiel did to their best club team ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Shamrockman

Ok, Antrim v Limerick this weekend.  Starting team assuming everyone back? Lets hear them..