Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

btdtgtt

Good god loughiel must be more like las Vegas at the minute!

I think the longer break is a good idea - will guard against stale-ness next year.
Also you guys have sufficient number of hurlers to rest and give others their chance to break into the side.

Minder

Fair fucks to the hurlers in the second half, the first half performance was one of the worst I have seen from them. Limerick will be a big step up from Laois next weekend.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

saffronog

Thought the same minder, at about 10 down thought we had it,  see cork turned over the cats

Seamroga in exile

Fair play to Oisins for yesterday's welcome. Class!  Much appreciated. :) 
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

glens abu

Great second half of hurling today was worth the wait after watching an awful football performance and terrible 1st half from the hurlers. ;D

Seamroga in exile

From what I've been told the sooner the shams are back in the fold the better. They will be back, but there should be more of them in the panel. If Ronan McCloskey isn't called up and given a chance it'll be a travesty. Like his brother Eddie a great man blocking and running with the ball.

imtommygunn

It's hardly a travesty. He's young and if he doesn't get on the panel this year he'll get on it again.

Funny old game today. Played with no urgency whatsoever in the first half summed up by 4 points. 2-14 second half when we finally switched on. Lot of work to be done but good fight shown to get back into it.

Definitely a few loughgiel guys would add to the team but our weakest line would be our half forward line - only Eddie McCloskey to go in there which is a worry. (That's assuming Liam Watson would be in full forward)

Seamroga in exile

Joey scullion? Although he's no 14 he never plays there. He's another that has stood up to be counted this year. He usually ends up playing everywhere from full forward to half back.

I know he's not everyone's cup of tea but he gives it everything. He's been brilliant for us for us the last 18 months.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on March 25, 2012, 08:01:03 PM
From what I've been told the sooner the shams are back in the fold the better. They will be back, but there should be more of them in the panel. If Ronan McCloskey isn't called up and given a chance it'll be a travesty. Like his brother Eddie a great man blocking and running with the ball.

You weren't at the match then? Corner back wasn't the problem.

The main thing for me was this, very simple too. Laois played the extra man in defence, the Antrim management could not figure out what to f**king do!!! Laois won all breaking ball and took their scores when they had the chance. Hippy didn't know where to be positioned and got lost, ball was going out to the wings and they made the most of the ball going in.

I can't get it when managers don't have plans in place when a tactic is being used by the other team, they continued to let Hippy do what he was doing. The other thing is this, while it worked in the end, humping long ball into a big fullforward is, in my view, dung.

Second half, Antrim played so different the passion for winning the ball was great, McFaul was great when he came on the second time, took his scores well. They made McManus the spare man and moved him up field putting Laois on the back foot, they did fcuk all also!! until it was too late and we were back in the game.

Strange game, dull first half hate talking about players but (and i wont) we are carrying some players who started today for sure

SIE, you can't put club game performances on a par to county game performances. I'm sorry but don't let that judge your ideas on what's best for the county team
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

saffronog

thought karl stewart was little off form, after being fantastic the last day i saw him (Wexford).  a few lads pretty poor and shouldn't be there i agree.  McCloskey worth a punt, but its forwards i reckon, not so sure SIE about Scullion, would be more interested in seeing the brother up.  half forward line was very poor in particular

Seamroga in exile

No MR2, I wasn't at it. I wasn't casting aspersions upon those who were playing at all by the way.

Just putting by tuppence out there, he's been brilliant in the two biggest games you can play in club hurling. But sure, this is Antrim, he's too young to consider now.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on March 25, 2012, 09:00:41 PM
But sure, this is Antrim, he's too young to consider now.

Yes you're right  ???

Jerry Wallace has mentioned there were Loughgiel players he didn't have in the panel he may be interested in as far as I know. I would guess McCloskey / Joey Scullion(assuming he isn't there already which I'm not sure about) isn't there.

Graffin is the best corner back in the county by a long way and McGourty is usually worthy of his place too. McCloskey worth a shout but hardly a travesty if a 19 year old gets a year with the u21s...

Yeah I think Joey Scullion would be a better option in half forwards.  Too much ball going into half forwards and straight back out. McFall did well there though.

north_antrim_hound

big time we need the shams back and if young mc closkey was the corner back he deserves a crack after his performance last weekend, him hippy and graffin is a good full back line
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 25, 2012, 08:27:55 PM

You weren't at the match then? Corner back wasn't the problem.

The main thing for me was this, very simple too. Laois played the extra man in defence, the Antrim management could not figure out what to f**king do!!! Laois won all breaking ball and took their scores when they had the chance. Hippy didn't know where to be positioned and got lost, ball was going out to the wings and they made the most of the ball going in.

I can't get it when managers don't have plans in place when a tactic is being used by the other team, they continued to let Hippy do what he was doing. The other thing is this, while it worked in the end, humping long ball into a big fullforward is, in my view, dung.

Second half, Antrim played so different the passion for winning the ball was great, McFaul was great when he came on the second time, took his scores well. They made McManus the spare man and moved him up field putting Laois on the back foot, they did fcuk all also!! until it was too late and we were back in the game.

Strange game, dull first half hate talking about players but (and i wont) we are carrying some players who started today for sure

SIE, you can't put club game performances on a par to county game performances. I'm sorry but don't let that judge your ideas on what's best for the county team

spot on mr2, the sweeper left hippy all at sea(not his fault), the ball going in to forwards was dung but they where not moving much. I thought they should have tried some shooting from middle and half forward line or even running at them but those balls going in was giving me heartburn ffs. easy to blame the sideline but the shape laois where playing was hard to counteract. won the toss move a man back and shoot from far out with the wind. there first goal was a fumbling mistake from goalie. at least they did something at the break. I was tullamore last weekend and same thing we hit two points from play went 12 points down in second half and then started hurling. cant get my head round it

SIE joeys hard a fair few cracks at this level and struggled I'm afraid

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Buswhacker

Do you mean to say that Joey would struggle in a county team made up of mostly Div 2 and 3 players.I think that's our problem we need to bring in more Div1 players.I  don't see how Div.2 and 3 players can be up to it,given the standard of opposition they meet week after week. Do you think the county team would beat Loughgiel ?