Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesusjones

As far as I know Aidan Mc Ateer has Kevin Mc Naughton helping him at Cushendall.

johnneycool

Waffler,
who is 'us'?

Portaferry or Down?

He is a good coach alright but not great along the line, loses the plot too easy when things aren't going well.

Megaman

Quote from: oisinog on January 26, 2012, 03:30:42 PM
Quote from: btdtgtt on January 26, 2012, 03:03:01 PM
Well thats most teams covered - what about the Town and Oisins plans for the year?

This must seem very tedious to you SIE!!

We are sorted training away

whats your thoughts on Glenariffe entering the IHC?

oisinog

Quote from: Megaman on January 27, 2012, 12:16:59 PM
Quote from: oisinog on January 26, 2012, 03:30:42 PM
Quote from: btdtgtt on January 26, 2012, 03:03:01 PM
Well thats most teams covered - what about the Town and Oisins plans for the year?

This must seem very tedious to you SIE!!

We are sorted training away

I didn't here that

whats your thoughts on Glenariffe entering the IHC?

btdtgtt

Osisns in the Intermediate? Is this confirmed?

Personally I think it sounds like an attempt to lift a handy championship and try to get the parish a day in Croker!

Granted they are entitled to enter as a divisionII team and without much success at senior but I think it shows a lack of ambition on their part.

I may be biased as a Belfast man but I think Rossa deserve credit for maintaining senior status. It shows ambition and they have shown on thier day they can compete even with the Dall & Shams - see Glenravel this year - ahead at half time and only lost by 3. It's games like this when the underdog rises up that makes championship different to league.

And before anyone flips my coin so to speak - yes I know St Johns tried the same thing as Osisins - but i didnt support that decision either. Indeed in backfired!!

Maybe the oisisns see Div1 as their real target and an unbeaten year but I think they should be playing senior.

Does that mean we only have 4 North Antrim teams plus 3 city teams in this years championship? Someone getting a bye to the semi-final?  There will be some debate if the three city teams are drawn on one side - one of the "lesser" teams guaranteed a final spot! Or will the Town get a handy draw to end the biggest drought in Antrim GAA? My money is it will come down to the Dall and the Shams again.

Glensman

Quote from: btdtgtt on January 27, 2012, 01:34:05 PM
Osisns in the Intermediate? Is this confirmed?

Personally I think it sounds like an attempt to lift a handy championship and try to get the parish a day in Croker!

Granted they are entitled to enter as a divisionII team and without much success at senior but I think it shows a lack of ambition on their part.

I may be biased as a Belfast man but I think Rossa deserve credit for maintaining senior status. It shows ambition and they have shown on thier day they can compete even with the Dall & Shams - see Glenravel this year - ahead at half time and only lost by 3. It's games like this when the underdog rises up that makes championship different to league.

And before anyone flips my coin so to speak - yes I know St Johns tried the same thing as Osisins - but i didnt support that decision either. Indeed in backfired!!

Maybe the oisisns see Div1 as their real target and an unbeaten year but I think they should be playing senior.

Does that mean we only have 4 North Antrim teams plus 3 city teams in this years championship? Someone getting a bye to the semi-final?  There will be some debate if the three city teams are drawn on one side - one of the "lesser" teams guaranteed a final spot! Or will the Town get a handy draw to end the biggest drought in Antrim GAA? My money is it will come down to the Dall and the Shams again.

You're not biased - you're 100% right. If Glenariffe are in the Intermediate that is a complete and utter joke.

Minder

Were St Galls not lauded for getting to an All Ireland Intermediate final two years ago, or am i missing something?

We have won one Senior championship match in 6 years, and that was against one of the hastily organised divisional teams. I don't see the big deal. If we were in Division 1 i would say it was the wrong decision, but we aren't.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

maxpower

Glenarife where the poc of a ball from the county final in 2009, and in the last few years have been very close to causing a minor shock by beating one of the top three.  I would have thought the St Galls success this year would have heartened Glenarife, Rossa and the town. 

The general feeling seems to be the big three have come back to meet the rest and so it's only astray of time before we have a novel name on the volunteer cup,
I had thought the double u21 winning Ballycastle teams were best placed but Rossa, St Galls and Ossians have perhaps had the better championship performances
What happens next????

theskull1

No doubt the sex appeal of the intermediate and junior all Ireland makes it an easy decision for teams to drop back down for a bit of glory to g things up a bit. Not great for the senior championship
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Tony Baloney

Surely the chance of getting to the business end of a Provincial and All Ireland Championship is worth a shot for second tier teams. Middletown have succeeded were Glenariffe failed against Ballinhassig in 2006and I'd say the Oisins would fancy themselves as a cut above (just!)  the best Armagh has to offer.

ONeill

Quote from: Minder on January 27, 2012, 09:57:06 PM
Were St Galls not lauded for getting to an All Ireland Intermediate final two years ago, or am i missing something?

We have won one Senior championship match in 6 years, and that was against one of the hastily organised divisional teams. I don't see the big deal. If we were in Division 1 i would say it was the wrong decision, but we aren't.

St Galls's were hammered in that game though. Hopefuly Middletown can show them how to do it.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ONeill on January 27, 2012, 11:37:08 PM

And we know who was to blame for that...

St Galls's were hammered in that game though. Hopefuly Middletown can show them how to do it.

the waffler

Quote from: johnneycool on January 27, 2012, 11:57:56 AM
Waffler,
who is 'us'?

Portaferry or Down?

He is a good coach alright but not great along the line, loses the plot too easy when things aren't going well]

jonney could be one or the other or even both ????????????????

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 27, 2012, 11:40:54 PM
Quote from: ONeill on January 27, 2012, 11:37:08 PM

And we know who was to blame for that...

;D ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ManInBlackandGreen

Saturday, January 28, 2012 Irish Examniner

Matthews keen to achieve ref justice

By John Fogarty

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Assaulted former GAA referee Ray Matthews has agreed to become the interim president of the Gaelic Match Officials Association (GMOA).

The Antrim ex-official, who quit refereeing after the Ulster Council reduced punishments handed out to St Mary's Rasharkin arising from an U21 game he officiated in last October, will work alongside interim secretary, Tipperary man Alan Nash who has founded the organisation.

The GMOA, which states it will be non-profit, aims to seek greater protection for match officials, review referees' match fees and mileage as well as giving them a voice at Congress.

Matthews is primarily interested in the referees being defended.

"Until we get the whole thing organised and properly set up with democratic elections, I will be holding the position," confirmed Matthews.

"An organisation like this is something we have been crying out for because of the politics of the referring world and the fear factor of not getting good matches if they complain about what has happened to them. They are hesitant to come forward. It's not like the GPA because we're about representing all referees especially club referees."

Matthews appreciates his ordeal will bring attention to his new role and the organisation but has already experienced some opposition to his decision to help spearhead it.

"My profile is not the main reason. I fully endorse and believe in this. Because of what happened my face is out there. That's the hand I've been dealt. But it's strange. I know of a referees coordinator who asked hurling referees had they heard about the association and said, 'Jesus, do you not think they could have picked a higher profile referee'.

"Already, they're trying to rubbish it and put it down without knowing the benefits that could be coming to referees."

Matthews earlier this week threw away his refereeing gear with a heavy heart. He believes he may have to rule out any possible return to officiating because his stance may offend GAA officials. However he is willing to take the risk.

"In my eyes, referees are being let down a lot," he said before addressing his own trauma. "There wasn't a more apt time or easier opportunity for the GAA to stop events like what happened to me occurring again and protect referees.

"Instead, they washed their hands of it."

Croke Park recently asked the Ulster Council to review the St Mary's appeal case which saw the council quash the number of suspensions handed down to the club by the Antrim County Board.

They reverted the case on the grounds that some evidence was not taken into consideration, although it's understood not to be enough to change their decision.

The Antrim County Board had imposed bans on the club from all competitions above and not including minor grade but the decision was overruled by the Ulster Council.

While they remain suspended from the U21 championship, because of the club's successful appeal they are now permitted to play in senior league and championship competitions.

"Seemingly, the man who put all the evidence together isn't allowed to give evidence, which is stupid," said Matthews. "Joe Edwards, chairman of the Antrim CCCC, did an excellent job in collecting all the evidence.

"The bugbears Croke Park have with the case are related to the processes but not to the actual incident. That is a failing of our association.

"Everyone seems to be getting an appeal but the one person who isn't asked if they disagree with a decision is the referee which again is a failing."

Four St Mary's members were expelled from the GAA for their behaviour in the U21 game against Lamh Dearg in Ballymena after which Matthews was hospitalised.

Ten people in all received various bans. However, the Glenavy man believes more should have been suspended.

"A neutral witness said he couldn't see me from the amount of people trying to kick me."

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/matthews-keen-to-achieve-ref-justice-181787.html#ixzz1kkF1przA