Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

north_antrim_hound

all the best to Karl Mc Keegan, in his pomp he held the center as good as any southern CHB. committed to every ball. My kind of hurler
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

NAG1

On another note Dunloy I see appoint from within the club again, good to see so many of their ex-players willing to get back involved.

samboswig

Karl always won and lost with dignity and class. Good guy all round.

Milltown Row2

yeah would echo all the points made about Karl, never left much behind when playing for Antrim. For someone who didn't come through the ranks of the underage set ups, (I believe, could be corrected) is a testament to his attitude.

Though he did take a wile amount of steps  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NAG1

And fouled for that at least once every match  :D

Minder

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 07, 2011, 04:05:11 PM
yeah would echo all the points made about Karl, never left much behind when playing for Antrim. For someone who didn't come through the ranks of the underage set ups, (I believe, could be corrected) is a testament to his attitude.

He played Under 21, so you are corrected.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Minder on December 07, 2011, 04:14:33 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 07, 2011, 04:05:11 PM

He played Under 21, so you are corrected.

Quote from: NAG1 on December 07, 2011, 04:05:47 PM
And fouled for that at least once every match  :D

NAG1 as a defender i always hated when lads took more steps than they should, i would have been fit enough and quick enough to track and when he should have released the ball I would have wailed in. Only to hear the referee blow for me fouling him, this was after the player took 5/6 steps!!!

But when I got older and moved up front I found out that referee's give you more steps!!!

Cheers minder, ya fooking anorack
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Karl played wing half forward for the minors one year too. 96 I think it was.

Glensman

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on December 07, 2011, 01:26:40 PM
all the best to Karl Mc Keegan, in his pomp he held the center as good as any southern CHB. committed to every ball. My kind of hurler

+1
That year we had Tipp running scared at Croke (winning at half time) him, McCambridge and Herron were class.
Would love to see that game again.

For a man that is quite slight and not exactly a bodybuilder he often came out of rucks with the ball and had the ability to raise his game and that of those around him (last 5 minutes v St Galls this year in LG is a prime example).

It's not a eulogy though. He's still going!

clootfromthe21

Anybody know this was coming out????

From RTE website:

It has been revealed that Antrim struggled to field a team in the All-Ireland Under-21 semi-final this year.

County Secretary Francis Quinn revealed in his annual report that last-ditch phone calls had to be made to ensure Antrim had enough players for the clash with Dublin.

Antrim went on to lose 3-23 to 0-06 in a match that was shown live on TV.

Quinn said in the report: "In all my years of attending Antrim games, as both a supporter and an administrator, this ranks as one of the worst I have ever endured.

"As we assembled to depart Casement Park for the game we were frantically ringing players in an attempt to ensure we had enough players to field a team. Given the profile of Antrim hurling this type of attitude and preparation is simply unacceptable."

"Serious thought has to be given to this age group to ensure that we prepare in a manner benefiting the status of Ulster champions."

At senior level, former Antrim hurling captain Karl McKeegan has announced his retirement. The Cushendall defender led the county to Christy Ring Cup success in 2006. Fellow defender Ciaran Herron also retired from inter-county competition recently.

A trial game for the senior hurling squad was held on 30 November and a senior squad for the season is due to be announced tomorrow>

Can I add to the general sentiments of appreciation for all the efforts Karl McK has made for Antrim hurling over the last 10 years - never gave anything less than his best in the cause.

Minder

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 07, 2011, 04:56:38 PM

Yeah I think you are right, Cloot took them that year and they took a tanking against Tipp in the AISF.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

saffronog

They have taken a good few tankings since as well.  Under 21s a disgrace, tosh has work cut out, who is with him

imtommygunn

Quote from: Minder on December 07, 2011, 06:33:56 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on December 07, 2011, 04:56:38 PM

Yeah I think you are right, Cloot took them that year and they took a tanking against Tipp in the AISF.

There was a year where we had a great showing against KK and nearly won. McFall and Conor Cunning were on the team - Pinky Kelly too if I recall correctly. Was that 95 or 96? It was the year Danny McNaughton died but maybe that was the year before Karl played minors. Conor Cunning was maybe a minor a year or two early as he was outstanding at that age.

Two Hands FFS

Danny(RIP) died in 1996.

imtommygunn

Then I think that was the year Karl played. He wasn't on the team in the AI- just the ulster final.

That was a very good minor team actually - the best I've seen by a mile bar the one with Neil McManus / McNaughton etc on it.