Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Would be great if we had two big strong fit midfielders who could hurl as well. NMcM playing center half as you say Max would certainly make us a stronger team. I don't think he'll be fit for a well though.

If I'm honest i don't see any real talent coming through, If the McCanns could get up to any decent standard then they would be an asset but playing Div 3/4? hurling will only make it harder for them to improve
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

saffronog

Reckon that chb is mcmanus best position, but need him in forwards as for

ball winning. despite popular belief in the dall I think graffin though very effective is well short of what mcmanus could give.  Stewart maybe now at stage were he would be better in forwards full time.  Yes certainly require a few powerful midfielders.  Unless they travel up with jerry can't see where we will get them.  Mc canns just don't have hurling.  Would really have liked to see natty lad, but if he ain't 100% forget it.

imtommygunn

Conor McCann has a lot of potential. I don't think there's the same in Thomas no harm to him.

McManus would be a great CHB however we need him in forward like we did with Gary O'Kane. Dall do too.

I think Stewart's best position CHF.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 06, 2011, 08:53:46 PM
Conor McCann has a lot of potential. I don't think there's the same in Thomas no harm to him.

McManus would be a great CHB however we need him in forward like we did with Gary O'Kane. Dall do too.

I think Stewart's best position CHF.

It's a hateful position in my opinion Tommy. The other teams best player normally operates in that position. It really stops one of our better players from playing i believe especially when playing the stronger counties
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

I think he fits the position well though MR.

Midfield a problem position for us though. It's kind of square pegs round holes there. Given what we've got I would expect Stewart to be there but I just think, from what I have seen of him, CHF looks like his best position.

I think that McManus is generally taken away from CHF for the reason you talk about - the players at CHB. When we played Dublin a few times Joey Boland completely nullified him when he was at CHF.

Milltown Row2

Limited i know, a fully fit, decent 20 players all rowing in behind Jerry would fill me with hope but hard to get that. Even more so lately.

Most here are happy for Neil to be playing CHB and with Hippy at FB that's great for the team. Some managers pick their defence first, meaning they believe, that having a strong defence will stop or curtail the other team. Others look at their star forwards and hope that the ball will make it in.

For me Antrim aren't strong enough when playing the bigger teams so if we have our stronger players in their best positions then it's a building block to progress. To win the games though we also need strong forwards but our 2 better forwards I think have been playing midfield. Shorty, Karl and Shane have all filled that role for us.

But lose midfield then you have lost the match, catch 22 at the minute.

Glensman

Could Brendan Herron be tempted back with a new manager (and optimism)? He was good in midfield a couple of years back and in my humble opinion is a better hurler than Gaelic player.

It would free up one of those midfield slots.

saffronog

Certainly fit the athletic, strong  physically able player we would need in there Would like to see him, what age is he ?

CornerBackNo2

Whats going on up at St Johns? Rumours of trouble...?

btdtgtt

That would mean trouble in both St Johns and Gort?

Is there something in the water up the Whiterock!!

Lamh Dearg AGM passed on Sunday. Hurlers looking to push on from what they judged a successful year (true) and have similar set up. I think they are one of the stronger teams in that division when going well. 

the colonel

Brendan Herron would be 28

From Hoganstand...

Karl McKeegan has brought the curtain down on his 10-year Antrim hurling career.

The Cushendall clubman, who won 10 Ulster SHC medals and captained the Saffrons to a Christy Ring Cup win in 2006, said it wasn't a decision he took lightly.

"I have done a fair bit of thinking over this past few weeks and I just felt, at 33, it gets harder every year," the defender told the Irish News.

"Jerry (Wallis, Antrim's new manager) is going to look for a big commitment this year. I thought to myself that I couldn't do it. I can't see myself being out on a pitch for two or three months so that made my mind up."

McKeegan, who follows Ciaran Herron into retirement, will continue to line out for Cushendall.

"The club has been good to me over the last 10 years when I have been with the county and they have supported me," he continued.

"Now I would like to give them as best I can. I still feel I have a good bit to offer and I want to give that back to the club. I just think you can't do both when you get to my age - it gets harder.

"I would love to (play on), but I just don't think I could give it the full commitment. I think if you can't give it the full commitment, then you definitely shouldn't be there. That's why I have decided to step down."
the difference between success and failure is energy

theskull1

Fair play to Karl. He had a fine IC career. Lead by example on the pitch. Seemed to play well more consistently when he wore the saffron jersey not that hes a bad club hurler mind.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Two Hands FFS

Quote from: theskull1 on December 07, 2011, 10:26:15 AM
Fair play to Karl. He had a fine IC career. Lead by example on the pitch. Seemed to play well more consistently when he wore the saffron jersey not that hes a bad club hurler mind.
Possibly cos he was played for the majority of his IC career in the one position(centre half)...where as for C'Dall he played in defence/midfield & Forwards. But he was super for Antrim.

NAG1

I would imagine that he will have better club form this year strangely as he always seemed to be injured or tired when it came to the serious end of the club championship.

the colonel

Hopefully we will still get a few more years from Karl. Great servant to Antrim
the difference between success and failure is energy