Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the colonel

Quote from: Minder on December 06, 2011, 11:16:47 AM
We have three on the panel.

Mark Nulty, Micky Gettins and Shannon? Those were the three that reached the last trials.
the difference between success and failure is energy

Minder

Quote from: the colonel on December 06, 2011, 12:11:12 PM

Mark Nulty, Micky Gettins and Shannon? Those were the three that reached the last trials.

Yup, they are announcing the panel tomorrow I think.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

the colonel

Quote from: Minder on December 06, 2011, 12:42:36 PM

Haven't heard from our boys yet. Do you think your boys would be upto that standard? Wouldn't think Nulty is up to that level, but he would give you everything he has. Gettin's apparently showed well at the trials and I suppose we would always have been a maybe for a few years. Both are 28/29 now so I'm not sure if they could improve to the level required. Shannon would be 25? He's improved a fair bit in the last couple of years to be fair to him.

I would have thought that Kevin McDonnell would have been in with a good shout considering its forwards that Antrim really need
the difference between success and failure is energy

oisinog

Quote from: the colonel on December 06, 2011, 01:20:11 PM
Quote from: Minder on December 06, 2011, 12:42:36 PM

Kevin would be the first one to tell you he has had a bad year. He is only 21 so he will always have another chance

Haven't heard from our boys yet. Do you think your boys would be upto that standard? Wouldn't think Nulty is up to that level, but he would give you everything he has. Gettin's apparently showed well at the trials and I suppose we would always have been a maybe for a few years. Both are 28/29 now so I'm not sure if they could improve to the level required. Shannon would be 25? He's improved a fair bit in the last couple of years to be fair to him.

I would have thought that Kevin McDonnell would have been in with a good shout considering its forwards that Antrim really need

Kevin is still only 21 and has had a poor season. He would be the first to admit that. He can always go again next year

Minder

I think Gettens is definitely up to it, as much as half the panel are up to it, he has come on in a big way for us in the last 2 years, physically as much as anything. Not sure about Nulty, as you say he will give you everything and he performed very well at the last trial by all accounts so that's why he is there. I would have Gettens as similar level if not better than Kieran McGourty for example so he should alright.

I would wonder about some of the current Antrim panellists, and how good they are so a bit of competition will do no harm.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

theskull1

Agreed competition will be a good. I think the question needs to be asked as to why we are lacking the numbers of forwards with real threat? It needs attention at development squad level IMO
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

NAG1

Its coaching IMO, its not hard to create a destructive force far more difficult to nurture and develop flair and players with vision, thats were the skill comes in through coaching.

Milltown Row2

Is PJ O'Connell on the team? Karl Stewart is a cracking forward, Shane McNaughton also Loughgiel have decent forwards also. I don't think we are too bad in the scoring forwards department. It's just that we have Karl and Shane to a lesser degree playing midfield at times.

If we could get players to fill in those outfield positions and let these lads play on the FF line we would have strength and skill on that line. Getting the ball in is the problem.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

btdtgtt

I agree MR2 the likes of Shane and stewarty are good out in midfield but would be needed as inside forwards if we are to pose a threat - but how then would we get the ball into them?

However - Is this not just another way of saying we don't have 15 good enough players to spread around the pitch!

Some problems can't be solved so easily!

saffronog

I would have your man gettens well ahead of mc courty imo.  Shams if they throw up 3 starting forwards we would be doing well, don't know any of other lads mentioned.  Shane on first 15 with current form.  What about mcgill form cdall ?? When is list up.  Oisin og do u feel these guys will train religiously, that's whats needed, plenty of ex panelists couldn't show this commitment

oisinog

Quote from: saffronog on December 06, 2011, 06:39:09 PM
I would have your man gettens well ahead of mc courty imo.  Shams if they throw up 3 starting forwards we would be doing well, don't know any of other lads mentioned.  Shane on first 15 with current form.  What about mcgill form cdall ?? When is list up.  Oisin og do u feel these guys will train religiously, that's whats needed, plenty of ex panelists couldn't show this commitment

Nulty and Gettins are two of the best trainers in the club. The only thing is they both have young baby's. Though I suppose that's as good a reason to go to training as any

Seamroga in exile

Mushy got the Dunloy job.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Tony Baloney

Quote from: saffronog on December 06, 2011, 06:39:09 PM
Gettens is older now and hopefully wiser so unlikely to repeat the mistakes of the past. He was a skinny wee runt years ago but is now well conditioned.

saffronog

Is this a step forward for dunloy ???

What mistakes are those tony baloney

maxpower

Mushy is a good man, I'm sure he'll do a good job.

On Mickey Gettins, a good player, man of the match when we played Glenarrife this year, will do well, though if Neil McManus is to be played as a CHB, Graffin and McAuley either side would be hard to argue with
What happens next????