Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Megaman

You'd think ulster gaa would make a better effort at advertising, that advert is pretty crap.

Another pointless match, did the ulster leagues start in march??

saffronog

Yeah mega man, mega point.  Fact that started in March it makes. Competition a little bit of farce

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: Megaman on November 07, 2011, 10:43:02 PM
You'd think ulster gaa would make a better effort at advertising, that advert is pretty crap.

Another pointless match, did the ulster leagues start in march??
It was done for the Shamrock's website, good effort for an amateur. The game's only pointless if you aren't involved.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

theskull1

Quote from: saffronog on November 07, 2011, 10:47:22 PM
Yeah mega man, mega point.  Fact that started in March it makes. Competition a little bit of farce

The games are useful at that time of the year but the conclusion of it runs into all county conjestion. Think we have to live with that reality
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Jesusjones

To be honest the ulster league is just a series of glorified challenge matches. The idea was good on paper but it hasn't been a success in practice.

Seamroga in exile

All depends on whether you win it or not jj. I'll let you know how I feel about it on Sunday.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Two Hands FFS

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on November 08, 2011, 08:01:53 AM
All depends on whether you win it or not jj. I'll let you know how I feel about it on Sunday.
While its always nice to win a trophy but the competition is devalued by the fact that the final is being played in November...was it November last year?? Alot of clubs treat it for challenge games & the money you get for playing in it.  Then a huge gap between the group stages to the semi finals & then the semi finals to the final. No need for it.

NAG1

Problem with this competition is now that you will normally have a fit team who have been training playing a team who have been idle for a couple of months, makes for a mismatch in anyone's book. Again poor organisation to blame.

Magicsponge

I think its good for the other counties whose leagues aren't that great, I think those teams take a bit more seriously than any antrim teams, it might be the only decent game of hurling they get all year

btdtgtt

Come on guys!

Bit too negative on the Ulster League no?
Scheduling of the final stages cannot be helped - how on earth could it be fiitted in during the year to accomodate all cluba & county teams in Ulster?!

As someone said - its only irrelevant if your team is not in it! Lifting any silverware is always relevant!

The Ulster league provides valuable games more competitive than challenge games (neutral ref) in the early season - and if a club get out of their group then its a good chance to lift some silverware (and ofcourse some money helps!).

I think its a great competition - playing varied teams aside from county leagues.
If people want it to have even more prominance then maybe we need to look at making it the more prominent competition ahead of county leagues?

I think there is merit in this - although county boards might not agree.

Good luck to both teams - but the Shamrocks current match practice will no doubt prevail.

NAG1

Quote from: btdtgtt on November 08, 2011, 09:46:40 AM
Come on guys!

Bit too negative on the Ulster League no?
Scheduling of the final stages cannot be helped - how on earth could it be fiitted in during the year to accomodate all cluba & county teams in Ulster?!

As someone said - its only irrelevant if your team is not in it! Lifting any silverware is always relevant!

The Ulster league provides valuable games more competitive than challenge games (neutral ref) in the early season - and if a club get out of their group then its a good chance to lift some silverware (and ofcourse some money helps!).

I think its a great competition - playing varied teams aside from county leagues.
If people want it to have even more prominance then maybe we need to look at making it the more prominent competition ahead of county leagues?

I think there is merit in this - although county boards might not agree.

Good luck to both teams - but the Shamrocks current match practice will no doubt prevail.

Is that right?

Is that why the Div1 Football Final happened on the 9th of April this year then?

aontroim

Seems there will not be this scheduling problem next year.......

Quote2012 Táin Club Hurling League

Any Club wishing to enter the 2012 Táin Club Hurling League should do so as soon as possible by completing the attached application form.

The competition is for senior teams and is open to all hurling Clubs in Ulster as well as clubs from Leitrim, Sligo, Longford and Louth.  It is proposed to run the group stages off on:

-          Saturday 4th February
-          Saturday 11th February
-          Saturday 18th February
-          Saturday 3rd March
-          Saturday 7th April

The Semi-Finals are scheduled for the weekend of 21st April, while the Finals will be played on the weekend of 28th April.

This competition will be administered by the An Lár Choiste Cheannais na gChomórtaisí (Central Competitions Control Committee) and all fixtures must be honoured.

All clubs are asked to make a special effort to ensure that all fixtures schedules are adhered to, and failure to do so will result in fines being imposed.

Teams who wish to play in this competition must return their registration forms before 4.00pm on Monday 7th November 2011.

http://ulster.gaa.ie/2011/10/20/2012-tain-club-hurling-league/

I reckon a lot of Antrim clubs will have missed the boat entering this for next year as its very early for entry deadlines, and with the renaming of the league there will be a few caught out.

btdtgtt

Yes it is true! If there was better scheduling possible for the hurling then obviously it would be followed!

The football is a different case;
- It starts earlier becasue the bogmen dont need the pitches/weather to be as good
- There are more suitable floodlit pitches available
- Teams are less affected by county players availability

Like I said the competition is worthwhile - not perfect - but worthwhile.
Do we really want it scrapped? Even less games?

I would actually rather it took precedence over county leagues!

Two Hands FFS

I don't think anyone is looking it scrapped...I would like the final
Played in the summer months...hardly much to ask for?? And a fine for any team that doesn't turn up.....similar to what happens in the Antrim league...would encourage games to be played.

maxpower

Jeez lad are clubs not getting it tight enough without even more fines

I like the competition, but I think it's should be played to a completion at the outset, our weather in march/April tends to be fairly mild so I think they could get it played of, start the Antrim leagues in May

The problem with it is the three down teams already play in Antrim and for whatever reason the Derry teams attitude towards it is poor at best and so we play the same teams we alway play, plus Derry teams ill equipped to play without county men
What happens next????