Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seamroga in exile

There's no mention of the incident on the county website at all. Maybe if they ignore it it'll go away.  ::)

Neither is there any mention of us winning the league. Brilliant site, not.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Jesusjones

I'm sure everyone from the politically correct brigade will jump on me for saying this but it was only a matter of time before RM got chinned. The way he talks to players is totally wrong, earlier this year I heard him tell one of our players at an U-21 match, when he questioned a decision, to f**k off ya w****r. If referees want respect they have to give it as well, it isn't just a one way street. That said attacking a ref is still crossing the line.

NAG1

JJ - I will be the first to condemn you for raising that issue. You and a few other posters on this board are so out of line on this topic it is unreal.

Ray's style as a referee has absolutely no and I mean no impact on a mob waiting for him to come off a pitch and attack him.

This is a man who gave up a Saturday afternoon to ref a match he probably had little interest in and what does he get for his trouble a night spent in A&E. There is no justification for this no matter how far anyone will dig or look for it.

We seriously need to look at how we punish these people - IMO banning the club is not the answer because it hurts the whole club and the culprits get to hide in a crowd. Serious worrying reports that players had gone into the dressing room got changed and came back out to attack Ray. Some hard questions to be asked in the near future both by Rasharkin and by the County Board.

clootfromthe21

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on November 02, 2011, 06:12:11 AM
There's no mention of the incident on the county website at all. Maybe if they ignore it it'll go away.  ::)

Neither is there any mention of us winning the league. Brilliant site, not.

You seriously think it a good idea that it gets a full airing on the county site before "due process" applies????

Now the powers that be may well be sitting on their hands in a darkened room hoping it all goes away before the Irish News runs a 3 page special on it, but presumably the referee's report will (eventually) be received, Rasharkin (or any one else) will be called to give "their" side of the story and then a decision will be made.

The amount of suspensions or other punishments in the GAA that ultimately get overturned because proper procedures are not followed is simply ridiculous e.g. the same people hearing an appeal from an earlier decision.

Lets hope whatever decision is reached, its done properly rather than allowing the recipient to get off on a technicality in a months time.

Seamroga in exile

They could've mentioned that they were investigating the matter, yes. After all, it's being aired quite publicly in other media formats, whether they like it or not.

clootfromthe21

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on November 02, 2011, 09:38:06 AM
They could've mentioned that they were investigating the matter, yes. After all, it's being aired quite publicly in other media formats, whether they like it or not.

Yeah, but the other formats dont have to make the decision - the County Board or the CCCC or whatever sub-committee has to make the decision which, in light of the reports on other media, may well be severe and, if it is severe, will almost definitely be challenged up the line.

What do you want  the County Website to say - "We heard there was a big fight in Ballymena and we are looking into it. We'll be back to you. Watch this space."?

Seamroga in exile

A bit simplistic there cftto. An acknowledgment that two of their officials
were attacked might be warranted. A reminder of the sanctions available to them,  both within and without of the GAA, might be warranted to deter others from pursuing a similar course of action in the future. The details don't need to published, but saying nothing on the matter is just a bit blinkered.

btdtgtt

Lads lads come on!

Maybe it's a drawback of cyberspace but let's get real here - a ref was attacked! It doesn't matter about his attitude or decisions - our games should have respect for the ref jersey that dictates this I'd unthinkable!

I can't have refs - I think they are poor - but assault? Come on let's never comment on this on anything other than a complete disgrace to our association! Look at the publicity we are all painted as muck savages already.

As for ray Mathews I really hope he dis defend himself - otherwise god knows how much worse it could have been. I spoke to 2people at the game (1lamh dearg & 1ballymena) they both told me it was "scary". If ray goes to the courts so be it because such incidents have no place in our games so can be dealt with outside of our games.

Rasharkin need to hand their heads in shame! Not even a statement of regret! Their juveniles should play all games away from home, and every team above minor suspended for 1year. No sanction is goin to seem appropriate but we have to start somewhere.

This is a non-issue. A ref getting attacked is the bottom line - let's not offer any comment other than that or the appropriate punishment.

the colonel

Jim Murray was interviewed about this incident. It was in the papers and possibly hoganstand.com or bbc website
the difference between success and failure is energy

NAG1

Exactly and he gave the standard response, they wont act until they have the report. Wouldnt expect him to say anything else.

Seamroga in exile

And nothing on their own site, like I said.

Sleeping giant

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 01, 2011, 10:20:08 PM
Quote from: Sleeping giant on November 01, 2011, 10:12:34 PM
By all accounts he was swinging digs himself ::)

If you had people attacking you, would you be letting them? Stupid comment
MR2  to answer your question. No!!  i wouldn't be letting them, but am not a top ref in antrim, surely the matter could of been defused sooner if he didn't start throwing digs himself, think RM is top ref and any nice person, not having go
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.

saffronog

Jesus Jones (I will leave it at that) how are we to attract younger whistle blowers.  No doubt your u21 player was innocent.  Either way if he can't handle comments the forum is to complain.  Not assault. 

theskull1

I'd be in agreement with SIE. If it makes the news then there at least should be something up on the county website.

No need to concern ourselves with who won the league though  :)
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

NAG1

No one ever did in the past Skull so why should now be any different  ;)

Quote from: Sleeping giant on November 02, 2011, 11:28:35 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 01, 2011, 10:20:08 PM
Quote from: Sleeping giant on November 01, 2011, 10:12:34 PM
By all accounts he was swinging digs himself ::)

You obviously are having a go, there is no need for your statement because you dont know the facts of the situation so I would suggestion you take down your accusation against a referee who was attacked by a mob.