Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sleeping giant

Glory hunting is a bit strong. Martin moved to cdall.cloot went back to armoy.although i dont know how anyone could pull another club top on and still have the same passion for the game. Or even have respect of other team mates when returning.   Just not for me!!
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.

Jesusjones

SIE I have no problem with clute coming to Loughgiel for that year but I can say for a fact that Armoy did have a senior team. If they didn't then are you telling me that in 1988 Armoy had a senior team, in 1989 they didn't and then in 1990 they did have a team again and during 1989 no other Armoy man fancied hurling for anyone at all, clute was the only one???

saffronog

Jesus this has been busy.  Meant comparison of 89 team don't go back far enough to remember the all Ireland winning team.  Woody, beaver the mckillops, dew, laverty I'd go for 89, though ballybrown beat them very and square and venue wasn't exactly neutral.  As for armoy having no team, load of shite.  glory hunting plain and simple, they're all the same.  Unless your at least, no more than couple of hours away.  Then you'll find they'll wear the new.club gear the most.  A disease most clubs have.  Cross as many as galls.

theskull1

Whilst we're discussing players from that era. Is it true that Beaver hung up the boots at 27? For such a LG great it does seem a bit strange. Maybe I'm wrong?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: Jesusjones on October 25, 2011, 04:34:47 PM
SIE I have no problem with clute coming to Loughgiel for that year but I can say for a fact that Armoy did have a senior team. If they didn't then are you telling me that in 1988 Armoy had a senior team, in 1989 they didn't and then in 1990 they did have a team again and during 1989 no other Armoy man fancied hurling for anyone at all, clute was the only one???
JJ, don't take my word for it then. Click on the following link and read the bit where it stated that Armoy didn't field a senior team that year.

http://www.hoganstand.com/Antrim/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=71434
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: saffronog on October 25, 2011, 05:23:36 PM
Jesus this has been busy.  Meant comparison of 89 team don't go back far enough to remember the all Ireland winning team.  Woody, beaver the mckillops, dew, laverty I'd go for 89, though ballybrown beat them very and square and venue wasn't exactly neutral.  As for armoy having no team, load of shite.  glory hunting plain and simple, they're all the same.  Unless your at least, no more than couple of hours away.  Then you'll find they'll wear the new.club gear the most.  A disease most clubs have.  Cross as many as galls.
click on the link.

http://www.hoganstand.com/Antrim/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=71434

saffronog

Talks about 88 with loughgiel, the article has a no of inaccuracies. 

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: saffronog on October 25, 2011, 06:11:29 PM
It talked about Armoy failing to have a senior team in 88.

Milltown Row2

I can remember playing Armoy around that time. Convinced they had a team
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Minder

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on October 25, 2011, 06:23:20 PM
Quote from: saffronog on October 25, 2011, 06:11:29 PM
It talked about Armoy failing to have a senior team in 88.

Armoy had a team in '88 because we beat them in Countess of Antrim final.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Seamroga in exile

Then they've got the year wrong. Must've been '89.

Seamroga in exile

I just found this web page. There are  great old photos of teams from around the glens.

http://www.slideshare.net/martinmccarry/the-gaa-in-the-glens-of-antrim

Minder

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on October 25, 2011, 10:21:44 PM
I just found this web page. There are  great old photos of teams from around the glens.

http://www.slideshare.net/martinmccarry/the-gaa-in-the-glens-of-antrim

Yeah have seen that before, well worth half an hour of anyones time.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

NAG1

Ok just a question in general

Any ideas (must be practical) of how to develop the game of hurling across Ulster, think we are all in agreement that the standards have dropped over the last couple of years, so what can we do about it, the more radical the better?

DearyMe

Get rig of previous thinkers on how the game should be played!!!

These are just my ideas (of course there are in reality more than 3 issues - but these are the focus)

Its simple - 3 massive problems -

1) commitment - i mean real commitment, a new level, the wife needs to accept it, and if we want to throw young families and other things in the way then we dont really have it. Harsh but true!  How did Eddie Brennan make the all ireland final after not playing much in the months before it? complete dedication!!

2) Ability - heart and determination only gets you so far!! Being coached intense hurling form day one! (systems of play)

3) Intensity and fitness like not before seen!

If we can buy into these 3 things, Ulster wont be far away!

The club that does will leave the rest behind!!!

I look forward to the experts (to whom i refer in the first line) response!!
Do not wait to strike until the iron is hot, but make it hot by striking!