Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: saffronog on October 25, 2011, 12:02:50 AM
What is the loughgiel view point on managers remark about this being greatest bunch club has ever produced.  Has he forgot the big yin.  I reckon 89 crowd superior, though they had little armoy brilliance back then.  I'd say cause for great debate in pound.
We had plenty of our own talent in the '89 team. Beaver should have won an all star for his performance in the semi against Offaly, 2-04 he tallied on that famous day. I love how some people keep bringing the cloot thing up. The fact is that Armoy had no senior team that year and he chose to play for Loughgiel. There were other clubs banging on his door to join them btw. I think that's what wrangles them more than anything. Also taking a look around teams and panels of our not so distant neighbours, plenty of "outsiders" on their squads as well down through the years.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

NAG1

Name an outsider from your not so distant neighbours that won a championship medal or had a significant contribution to a championship winning season? I am intrigued  ???

btdtgtt

Ok out of boredom I will have a go at this thinking of recent hurling winners -
Dall had a fella from Armoy Martin mcClafferty, Rossa had the grahams, Dunloy's Tony McGrath was from Kilrea, and ofcourse Cloot from Loughiel the most famous.
Maybe MR2 might run out of space re-counting the imports his footballers have!

Oh and before anyone takes offence I am stating this out of trivia and not criticising any club or casting judgment!
Can anyone else add any others?

Megaman

what is the definition of an outsider.?

not very good examples IMO bdgttgttgttt, or comparable to cloot.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: btdtgtt on October 25, 2011, 10:58:47 AM
Dall had a fella from Armoy Martin mcClafferty, Rossa had the grahams, Dunloy's Tony McGrath was from Kilrea, and ofcourse Cloot from Loughiel the most famous.

Oh and before anyone takes offence I am stating this out of trivia and not criticising any club or casting judgment!

With you claiming to be a Belfast Gael I'd say your own club is littered with outsiders
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

the colonel

Martin moved to Cushendall after marrying a local woman
the difference between success and failure is energy

Sleeping giant

At the time i would think there wasn't a club in Antrim or Ulster who wouldn't of loved him playing for them,he just ended up in Loughgiel.  move on!!
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.

Trout

Quote from: the colonel on October 25, 2011, 12:37:57 PM

Did that mean he was barred from still playing for Armoy and making the huge 20 minute journey?
Sinn Fein delivers -

British rule

Jesusjones

The year clute played for Loughgiel Armoy did have a senior team.

btdtgtt

Relax MR2! I went to the bother of posting that I wasnt getting at anyone in particular justa bit of trivia! Maybe you are just sensitive on this point!
I cant remember if Armoy had a seniour team that year to be honest, but the McClafferty move can hardly be looked on as a big travelling distance!
Anyway, I am honestly not getting at anyone I am sure we have all had out transfers at some point - any other interesting ones we can remember guys?!

the colonel

Quote from: Trout on October 25, 2011, 01:12:01 PM

Did that mean he was barred from still playing for Armoy and making the huge 20 minute journey?

Did I say he was.
the difference between success and failure is energy

Seamroga in exile

No they didn't jj. Makes no odds, every club has been taking players from outside since day 1. This was different and has been repeated to death because it was Loughgiel.   

Seamroga in exile

Isn't Paddy Doc from Rasharkin?

Trout

Quote from: the colonel on October 25, 2011, 03:09:52 PM
Quote from: Trout on October 25, 2011, 01:12:01 PM

Did I say he was.

Your point about him marrying a Cushendall woman is irrelevant, unless he lived in Cork beforehand. He was glory hunting, plain and simple.
Sinn Fein delivers -

British rule

Buswhacker

Cloot played minor for Loughgiel,and his family originated in Loughgiel parish although he came from Armoy glen.