Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Exactly Colonel, but that should not be the case, if they are traveling to the same venue and in a 55 seater bus then thay could manage that. Home games should be no problem.

Some planning and arranging the games can be hard work, but fcuk hard work is what it's all about. If you as a manager are not showing as much if not more commitment as the players then it's doomed from the start
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NAG1

Quote from: maxpower on October 11, 2011, 12:23:34 PM
any word on a backroom team

Well I see Baker heading to Offaly, thats one down

clootfromthe21

Quote from: the colonel on October 11, 2011, 11:07:55 AM
I take that on board surely Tommy, but from speaking to the players they think as well as Dinny done that Jerry Wallace (website and Irish news spelling!) can give them an extra 5-10%. I am in no way bashing Dinny here, but the people I would ask is the players who have worked with both.

I really don't think Dinny was wanting to stay either. We'll soon find out where he ends up.

I think I am happy with the appointment of Wallis (the spelling in the Irish Examiner - would assume that they would get it right!). Certainly grateful to Dinny for all that he has done for us, but I think a new voice in charge would be no bad thing.

To be honest, have not been following all the guerning going on about the proposed new league structure, but if things remain as they were last year, it would be a real opportunity to give promotion a proper crack. Never could understand Dinny's (proclaimed) disdain for the league. I think a county like Antrim needs to take it seriously as we have real difficulty getting games otherwise.

btdtgtt

I agree with Trout - players quoted in media need to look at themselves especially sinse S&W didnt take us anywhere. Maybe they should look at themselves rather that management. Thats said, some other good posts - is there really a next level in us?

I dont think we have the speed or strength to compete above 2nd tier hurling. Its just a fact and no shame in it.

As for the Under21's I do agree but ultimately we have gotta look at money (again fact is we have none) and lets not forget that clubs will not be too happy losing more players for more of the season!
Maybe some guys will develop more with senior club hurling than sitting in a bus around the country just to play some game time against another county u21 - and we dont even know if they would want the challenge game! After all if it is a viable idea maybe other counties would be doing it already?

I think this idea would be a disaster for clubs, a disaster for our leagues, and therefore a disaster for the overall standard of our hurling - but I am open to other views!

NAG1

Can anyone remember when the leagues were of a poorer standard than they were this year? Div 1 for sure

There is something going wrong with the overall structure of the game, we have seriously reduced the season to two maybe three (going by st galls championship win) competitive games in the whole year. Surely we should be looking at addressing this in some shape or form, not saying I have the answers just making an observation.

theskull1

Quote from: NAG1 on October 11, 2011, 01:53:47 PM
Can anyone remember when the leagues were of a poorer standard than they were this year? Div 1 for sure

There is something going wrong with the overall structure of the game, we have seriously reduced the season to two maybe three (going by st galls championship win) competitive games in the whole year. Surely we should be looking at addressing this in some shape or form, not saying I have the answers just making an observation.

The quality of the playing population reflects the efforts invested in them by coaches and administration. Wouldn't say that the compeditiveness has dropped, but the number of out and out forward talent definately has.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

NAG1

So what we need to invest in our Coaches to bring their standard up?

Or we need more committment from them or a bit of both?

btdtgtt

Fair points lads - I think we need to start at the bottom and build up.
What i mean is - there are some grand ideas about one panel of under21s travelling the country but in the same debate we acknowledge the drop in standards.
Therefore, i think improving the club scene should be the priority!
More games, more competitive games,more players, more able players - they are all connected!
Then we can talk about county teams raising their level - once it has been done at clubs. They will mirror each other.
We can put focus back on club scene whilst maintaining the tier 2 status we have anyway.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: btdtgtt on October 11, 2011, 01:41:05 PM
I agree with Trout - players quoted in media need to look at themselves especially sinse S&W didnt take us anywhere. Maybe they should look at themselves rather that management. Thats said, some other good posts - is there really a next level in us?

I dont think we have the speed or strength to compete above 2nd tier hurling. Its just a fact and no shame in it.

As for the Under21's I do agree but ultimately we have gotta look at money (again fact is we have none) and lets not forget that clubs will not be too happy losing more players for more of the season!
Maybe some guys will develop more with senior club hurling than sitting in a bus around the country just to play some game time against another county u21 - and we dont even know if they would want the challenge game! After all if it is a viable idea maybe other counties would be doing it already?

I think this idea would be a disaster for clubs, a disaster for our leagues, and therefore a disaster for the overall standard of our hurling - but I am open to other views!

So keep it as it is? A get together a week before the games starts!! Players who have no idea who they are playing with or know their style? As you are aware, the County Hurling (NHL) Leagues are usually finished before (well Antrim usually are) the club scene starts, if you have a few players on that team then they are getting quality training for both county and clubs.

Again if this is down to money why enter a team at all at this level? Why bother with a minor team also?

Teams down South do take the under 21 competition seriously, they play college teams and the bigger teams play the div 2 senior teams that are close by, in challenge games. But sure lets get embarrassed every year ::)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

btdtgtt

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 11, 2011, 03:11:56 PM
Quote from: btdtgtt on October 11, 2011, 01:41:05 PM

So keep it as it is? A get together a week before the games starts!! Players who have no idea who they are playing with or know their style? As you are aware, the County Hurling (NHL) Leagues are usually finished before (well Antrim usually are) the club scene starts, if you have a few players on that team then they are getting quality training for both county and clubs.

Again if this is down to money why enter a team at all at this level? Why bother with a minor team also?

Teams down South do take the under 21 competition seriously, they play college teams and the bigger teams play the div 2 senior teams that are close by, in challenge games. But sure lets get embarrassed every year ::)

I am not professing to have all the answers but lets face it - we are not going to have the same group of 20-30 U21s available to run round the country playing matches all year - schools, universities, work, and especially clubs wont allow it! Also, this group is never going to have alot of ins and outs and we can hardly justify a year of training matches and travelling for one match a year! Face it, we win Ulster anyway.

How would our club hurling/football leagues be affected if this group was away as often as it is already affected by the senior panel - its a great idea to become competitive but not at the expense of the club set up. It would be like pulling the rug from under us - no foundations for the sake of the county panel.

I know what other counties can do - but fact is we are not them! We dont have the challenge games on our doorstep nor the resources.

As I said I dont know the answers but maybe a series of games mixed with seniors/minor panels is a less expensive and more practical option and one which causes less disruption to the club leagues. As for pulling out? I really dont think thats out of the question if need be! After all its a mis-mash age group anyway and I seem to remember Crok Park wanted it dissolved until the Southern boys said no - because its a great developer for them - but not us! Maybe if we were In Leinster at this grade also it might help development.

NAG1

Lads, the U21 is so far down the bottom of the list of our problems that I dont even think that it registers. Any of the players that are good enough to make it to senior are already in the squad by the time they are 21.

We need to look down the line and look at our coaching structures within individual clubs and then from the clubs into the development squads.

Is this not why we have full time paid development staff?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: NAG1 on October 11, 2011, 03:24:08 PM
Lads, the U21 is so far down the bottom of the list of our problems that I dont even think that it registers. Any of the players that are good enough to make it to senior are already in the squad by the time they are 21.
We need to look down the line and look at our coaching structures within individual clubs and then from the clubs into the development squads.

Is this not why we have full time paid development staff?

and that's the problem sometimes, there are kids that are on the panel/team and can't even hold down a regular place on their own team!!

The under 21 is the stepping stone to senior, make it competitive. What else have we to lose. I would say there are 25 quality kids coming through the teams in Antrim. It's about time we worked on these lads and get them to commit to hurling and develop them into committed senior hurlers in a few years time.

Problem is that we lose too many of these lads cause they don't seem to be bother!!

NAG1

How ever if we had the right structures and systems in place around the 25 talented hurlers then maybe we wouldnt lose so many of them and we would have a conveyor belt coming trhough.

Thats my point about the staff, its is their responsibility to put these structures around the players to ensure than we get the best out of them and that they see the county set up as something valuable and worthwhile to be involved with.

(I take on board your point MR2 about the u21 but I just meant in the grand scheme IMO its maybe not top priority)

theskull1

Quote from: NAG1 on October 11, 2011, 02:35:03 PM
So what we need to invest in our Coaches to bring their standard up?

Or we need more committment from them or a bit of both?

The numbers of interested ones is the biggest problem IMO, but yes those that are there need to keep improving but sometimes you need the correct number of mentors to be about the place for training sessions to run well and progress to be made. Even the best coaches will struggle if left to look after teams on their own. The sheer number of ex hurlers who put nothing back in is a big issue
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

BlackandAmber

On the subject of U-21s somebody posted these 2 comments on the county board......

QuoteTo add my tuppence worth to the U21 hurling discussion- would there not be students (who may or may not be hurlers) doing sports studies at University etc who could do the equivalent of a placement and certaintly gain valuable experience of preparing/managing and putting together 'a squad' of U21 players? This would be real life experience - putting theory into practice. If games were only played 'at home' in Antrim then there should be a minimal resource issue and if there is a resource requirement it shouldn't be beyond them to raise finance through 'good PR/ marketing'. I realise that this would have to be agreed, approved, etc by County etc- to have insurance etc covered. Maybe this has been done, tried before but I feel it would be good for everyone and especially clubs to have their better young hurlers exposed to hurling during the closed season.

and

QuoteI'm suggesting 'sports students' involvement solely to preparation/ trial games/ working up a potential squad of U21 hurlers for participation in next year's competition. If the time frame was Nov to Easter then it shouldn't interfere with clubs. They could play challenge games against Universities, club teams still in the All -Ireland series- Intermediate, Junior or senior(?)- all 'at home'in Antrim. It might create a dynamic and entice credible young people studying sport to share and gain experience. It would not cut across formal coaching/ management as determined by County. just a thought

Not a bad idea.  What do youse think?