Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxpower

Jeez lads I think that's fierce harsh on Dinny, if he wanted the post (and the County were still prepared to pay the expenses) then he should have gotten. Our beat 3 championship years in the last 20 have all come under him
What happens next????

Glensman

Quote from: maxpower on October 11, 2011, 07:01:26 AM
Jeez lads I think that's fierce harsh on Dinny, if he wanted the post (and the County were still prepared to pay the expenses) then he should have gotten. Our beat 3 championship years in the last 20 have all come under him

+1
Will get behind whoever (after an initial grumble) but just seems pretty harsh.

Two Hands FFS

I'm sure Dinny will be very unhappy at this decision & you can't really blame him after the commitment he's put in for Antrim hurling. Thanks for your effort but f**k off. However Wallis is highly rated, trained the notoriously hard to please Cork team to a couple of All Ireland's(open to correction here) & was brought to Limerick last year. The players thought he was very good so that's very important. Big difference to training a team to managing them.

NAG1

Really disappointed by this change in management, nothing to do with Wallis, after the committment DC put in its some kick in the teeth for us to turn around and say thanks but no thanks.

There is a way to do things and I dont think this was right.

imtommygunn

Dinny did wonders for our county team. If our county board shafted him then shame on them - again.

I'm not sure I know too much about this guy but best of luck to him.

I think we are at a level where Dinny did as best as could be done with the set if players - beating Dublin last year was huge and I thought the display we put in against Carlow showed as much character as I have seen in an Antrim jersey. Limerick this year the wheels came off when we had 14 men but we were in it until then and I think a lot of people forget that.

In my view Dinny Cahill should have had the job for as long as he wanted and the only way out for him should have been when he wanted out

Clinker

antrimlad

Heard that Dinny said he only wanted one more year so and Wallace said he wanted 3 so that county opted with him. Not sure how correct it is, although it is what I heard  :)

the colonel

I had said a few weeks ago that JW was a cert, and that Dinny wouldn't be stuck for long. He has been linked to about half a dozen jobs in the last few weeks and there is no smoke without fire. I think if you asked all the players who they wanted and it would clearly have been Jerry. I am not convinced that Dinny actually wanted the job and he was at a couple of the championship games to show face. Dinny has been good alright, but should we be happy were we are at the minute or should we aim higher? With Wallis as manager they players believe they can go to the next level. It will be tough with the current players at his disposal but he has two years with the option of another.

I wouldn't even compare this to Jingo, and can't be bothered getting into that debate of his 'departure'.
the difference between success and failure is energy

Trout

The players need to be careful about talking about moving "to the next level", I remember a couple of them that had been selected to go public when Jingo was ousted saying Sambo and Woody would take them to the next level. I don't think they meant the level below them.
Sinn Fein delivers -

British rule

imtommygunn

Colonel I don't think there is a "next level" in the players at the minute. Ideally we'd be in division 1. In my view Dinny has us achieving above ourselves. We have about 2 half decent forwards in the county and have got ourselves to the last 8 and last 12 this last 2 years.

We are top of the 2nd tier really - division 1 would help a lot but that aside on the games we have I don't see how we can seriously be improved.

If it's a longevity thing then I think that is fair enough.

the colonel

I take that on board surely Tommy, but from speaking to the players they think as well as Dinny done that Jerry Wallace (website and Irish news spelling!) can give them an extra 5-10%. I am in no way bashing Dinny here, but the people I would ask is the players who have worked with both.

I really don't think Dinny was wanting to stay either. We'll soon find out where he ends up.

imtommygunn

Well hopefully. I think we got a bit unlucky last year and were better than the Limerick showing.

Best of luck to Dinny wherever he goes.

We've not been too hot at underage level this last few years so it would good to get some more emphasis on things like the u21s. The hammerings those boys have been taking this last few years won't be good for us. The u21 system is fundamentally flawed though which I think is a bigger issue than just Antrim. The league is where to get these boys in which is why I think it'd be good to at least try and push for division 1 and get the younger boys used to playing at that higher level.

Milltown Row2

In relation to the under 21's I have stated before that if they were training with the seniors at the start of the year and playing challenge matches while the Seniors are playing their league games, preferably at the same venue earlier time of the day.

This would give them a chance to develop as a TEAM and develop a system of play, instead of chasing players at the start of the competition. What is stopping this from happening?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

the colonel

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 11, 2011, 12:00:08 PM
In relation to the under 21's I have stated before that if they were training with the seniors at the start of the year and playing challenge matches while the Seniors are playing their league games, preferably at the same venue earlier time of the day.

This would give them a chance to develop as a TEAM and develop a system of play, instead of chasing players at the start of the competition. What is stopping this from happening?

Money!

maxpower

any word on a backroom team
What happens next????