Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Puck It

4father

Cheers.  Looking forward to it.  What's on as the opener?

Just Puck It

Quote from: 4father on September 13, 2011, 09:28:13 PM

Not sure there's any match on before it.  Intermediate/Junior/Minor finals already been played and the football final is on the Saturday night as far as I know.

4father

It was better when the two finals were on the same day (get the bogball out of the way first of course)

btdtgtt

What or who is ftf?
And on an entirely random note - cushendun in division 4?
Any loose ends in the leagues - or is it shut up shop until casement on 25th?

Two Hands FFS

Quote from: Just Puck It on September 13, 2011, 09:30:08 PM
Quote from: 4father on September 13, 2011, 09:28:13 PM

Not sure there's any match on before it.  Intermediate/Junior/Minor finals already been played and the football final is on the Saturday night as far as I know.
U16 final between Cushendall & Rossa I think...

Plus this
http://www.antrimgaa.net/news/details/?id=3105

pdiddy

Quote from: btdtgtt on September 13, 2011, 09:54:45 PM
What or who is ftf?
And on an entirely random note - cushendun in division 4?
Any loose ends in the leagues - or is it shut up shop until casement on 25th?

Loughgiel play Portaferry in the league on Sunday.
When a team loses, there's always a row at half time, but when they win, its an inspirational speech

Exiled John

Folks any idea who the 3 nominations have lined up as their backroom staff.  would be important im sure and interesting to see who Crossey may look to bring in.

Minder

Is Crossey not a development officer, thus precluding him from the Antrim job?

I wouldnt let him near it in any event.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

NAG1

Quote from: Minder on September 14, 2011, 01:24:30 PM
Is Crossey not a development officer, thus precluding him from the Antrim job?

I wouldnt let him near it in any event.

Yeah as far as I know he works in Down.

Couldnt agree more, why any one would even nominate him is totally confusing to me.

I wouldnt care if he was bringing Brian Cody into coach the team, I wouldnt let him within 50 yards of it.

NAG1

Quote from: hardstation on September 14, 2011, 01:39:18 PM
What's your beef with Crossey? The two outside men are probably better alright but not many Antrim men would be.

What are the two 'own nest featherers' planning anyway? Very quiet.

My beef is he hasnt a notion. Be stepping back 20 years to hand him the reins and would probably signal a mass defection from the squad anyway. Would you play for him?

NAG1

My opinion on Dinny and the u21 team was noted at the time, he saw what was coming and got well shot.

Just because others have got it for the wrong reasons doesnt mean Crossey should get it to equal that out.

Taking on the minors when no else wanted it isnt a recommendation for anyone for the senior job.

There is a difference between coaching kids in primary schools and that level to actually having the respect to coach at SIC level, I think he would be ploughing a lonely furrow if he for some ungodly reason did get the job.

NAG1

Yes and the game has changed moved on, time for fresh people and fresh ideas IMO

Im not calling him a joke or anything like that, he has done work in Antrim hurling or on the ground, as have most of the contributors on here.

IMO he is not the standard or the type of character I would want anywhere near my county team but that as I said is my opinion.

gelvis

Quote from: hardstation on September 14, 2011, 04:26:39 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on September 14, 2011, 04:13:12 PM
My opinion on Dinny and the u21 team was noted at the time, he saw what was coming and got well shot.

Just because others have got it for the wrong reasons doesnt mean Crossey should get it to equal that out.

Taking on the minors when no else wanted it isnt a recommendation for anyone for the senior job.

There is a difference between coaching kids in primary schools and that level to actually having the respect to coach at SIC level, I think he would be ploughing a lonely furrow if he for some ungodly reason did get the job.
No, but for that he deserves a bit of respect, rather than called a joke. The same way we were saying that Dominic Kearns shouldn't be called a joke after the U21 debacle.

Dinny getting shot of the u21s is a f**king joke. Treated them with total contempt. For a paid job, it should be warts and all.

How other managers have weaseled their way into the job is a joke.

A man who continuously does groundwork for Antrim hurling and who takes on the shit others don't care enough to do getting a nomination is, imo, not a joke at all.

He has managed SIC before btw....

Lads I don't think Dinny can be blamed for this.  He tried something different this year after the trouncing by Tipp last year because him and Jerry Wallace hadn't a clue who any of the lads were.  This was partly due to having a handful of trainings and more to do with the attitude of everyone in this county to the U21 setup.  Players don't want to play, supporters don't want to watch and the Ulster competition is pure sh1te.
When he asked Bubble to take the team obviously he thought having a man who knows who should be in the squad in charge would get more of them out.  Bubble would know plenty of the Dunloy, Loughgiel and Cushendall fellas, but in the end it didn't work.  At least he tried something different from last year.
I think more of a problem lies with the way the whole thing is viewed by the teams in the county.  I know plenty of lads who got nothing but guff from managers and other senior players when they went back to their club training...why would they be arsed playing for an U21 Antrim team?
"If you worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on"

btdtgtt

Have to say I agree with hardstation here - Crossey has moved with the times and is a fine man from what I know of him. I think nag maybe some pre-determined views clouding your opinion. That's said the players may be similar to nag and not give him a chance so there is probably no chance he will get the job.
For me Dinny side stepped the under21s because he knew we were going to get embarrassed and he didn't want to be a part of it. Is that the man we want? Sorry but Dinny has been fantastic bug he has had his time we need to draw a line under it.
I think we should give Wallace a go. Southern knowledge, outside perspective and new impetus.