Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Forever Green

Cheers Minder.Good win for St Johns. Got their revenge for last year then. Hopefully they can actually develop this talent into a senior side who will be competing at the top

johnneycool

Quote from: Forever Green on September 09, 2011, 09:40:26 PM
Cheers Minder.Good win for St Johns. Got their revenge for last year then. Hopefully they can actually develop this talent into a senior side who will be competing at the top

I was surprised that the Johnnies didn't put out a reserve team on the back of this good minor team. It's a good standard with little dirt in it, ideal for young lads. If only I could get some more of our lazy minors to partake more often.

As for Dunloy after watching them this year, barring shorty they're still relying on the Richmonds and horse to pull the strings in the forwards. Horse has looked after himself but you lose a yard of speed no matter how fit you are as the years pile on. Ally has had a superb innings and should have left it at that. One of the best forwards I've had the displeasure of meeting in my time.

Dunloy will need to rebuild and it'll take time and a lot of effort. The team they had throught the mid 90's and early 00's was one of the best club teams in Ireland, just didn't get that bit of luck to get them over the final hurdle.

Cushendall didn't impress me when we were up there a few weeks ago and if we'd taken our chances, our No11 in particular we'd have won. McManus will make a huge difference to them and they'll go a lot harder in championship but I think big Carson in fullback is for the taking if the right man and ball make it in there.
Don't know a whole pile about the galls as its been a few years since we've been up in Milltown, but they're a mobile outfit who normally use the ball well so they're in with a shout.

MR,
what age is GaGa now as I remember him in my day?

Minder

Quote from: johnneycool on September 09, 2011, 10:03:25 PM
Quote from: Forever Green on September 09, 2011, 09:40:26 PM

I was surprised that the Johnnies didn't put out a reserve team on the back of this good minor team. It's a good standard with little dirt in it, ideal for young lads. If only I could get some more of our lazy minors to partake more often.

As for Dunloy after watching them this year, barring shorty they're still relying on the Richmonds and horse to pull the strings in the forwards. Horse has looked after himself but you lose a yard of speed no matter how fit you are as the years pile on. Ally has had a superb innings and should have left it at that. One of the best forwards I've had the displeasure of meeting in my time.

Dunloy will need to rebuild and it'll take time and a lot of effort. The team they had throught the mid 90's and early 00's was one of the best club teams in Ireland, just didn't get that bit of luck to get them over the final hurdle.

Cushendall didn't impress me when we were up there a few weeks ago and if we'd taken our chances, our No11 in particular we'd have won. McManus will make a huge difference to them and they'll go a lot harder in championship but I think big Carson in fullback is for the taking if the right man and ball make it in there.
Don't know a whole pile about the galls as its been a few years since we've been up in Milltown, but they're a mobile outfit who normally use the ball well so they're in with a shout.

MR,
what age is GaGa now as I remember him in my day?

He was on crutches at the minor match tonight.

Milltown Row2

32 ish I think, but a flying machine who has lost none of his pace.

St Johns game went as i had imagined, I refereed the Johnnies this year (have ref'd them last couple) and i thought they were      outstanding, Quality in nearly all their positions. Hard to beat and good team work. Up to Jonty now to take this team onto senior and see what he can do.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Minder

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 09, 2011, 10:09:23 PM

St Johns game went as i had imagined, I refereed the Johnnies this year (have ref'd them last couple) and i thought they were      outstanding, Quality in nearly all their positions. Hard to beat and good team work. Up to Jonty now to take this team onto senior and see what he can do.

Do you still think McManus is not injured?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Minder on September 09, 2011, 10:14:56 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 09, 2011, 10:09:23 PM

Do you still think McManus is not injured?

Just heard, strange one alright, must have happened at training, will only galvanise Cushendall more i think
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

the colonel

Tactically outplayed tonight unfortunately, when you look at the final score and the goal chances we missed then we possibly/ should have won which would have been tough on the johnnies. Some really nice hurlers but our boys weren't allowed or didn't themselves hurl to their potential.

It's well seeing this team has been brought through as a strong unit and know exactly what their plan is. How this will progress at senior level will be the test and will be quite difficult. I have no doubt MJ will want the johnnies senior job but when will he take it?
the difference between success and failure is energy

btdtgtt

Sure jonty has been taking johnnies seniors for several years now! He might not be wearing the bainisteoir bib but he calls the shots on EVERY johnnies hurling team! Interesting to see if they bring these young lads thru to senior.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: the colonel on September 09, 2011, 11:10:37 PM
Tactically outplayed tonight unfortunately, when you look at the final score and the goal chances we missed then we possibly/ should have won which would have been tough on the johnnies. Some really nice hurlers but our boys weren't allowed or didn't themselves hurl to their potential.

It's well seeing this team has been brought through as a strong unit and know exactly what their plan is. How this will progress at senior level will be the test and will be quite difficult. I have no doubt MJ will want the johnnies senior job but when will he take it?

Yes heard ya had about five goal chances, why not stick a couple over and keep scoreboard ticking over? Ya had them down to 5 points at one point!! Can be the downfall of some teams.....

the colonel

One was a penalty and there must have been about at least 5 point blank misses/ saves by their keeper. Very frustrating it was go watch but fair play to the boys for the effort the last couple of years. Our best in my opinion tonight was Ronan McGrady, here's going he knocks the football on the head!
the difference between success and failure is energy

Milltown Row2

Quote from: the colonel on September 09, 2011, 11:35:16 PM
One was a penalty and there must have been about at least 5 point blank misses/ saves by their keeper. Very frustrating it was go watch but fair play to the boys for the effort the last couple of years. Our best in my opinion tonight was Ronan McGrady, here's going he knocks the football on the head!

Soccer???

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 09, 2011, 11:16:24 PM
Quote from: the colonel on September 09, 2011, 11:10:37 PM

Yes heard ya had about five goal chances, why not stick a couple over and keep scoreboard ticking over? Ya had them down to 5 points at one point!! Can be the downfall of some teams.....
You're a bit of a shite stirrer MR2!   :)
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

maxpower

Thought that was possibly a sly dig at ourselves!

With regards this weekends games, the St Galls full back did an excellent job bottling up Paddy Richmond who is key to our success, can he have the same impact against McManus, that's a huge ask.

St Galls do have savage work rate, and they are winners so when it comes to the crunch if
They are there or thereabouts they won't be found wanting

Cushendall by 8

Ballycastle will need goals to win, can't see there forwards out pointing the shamrocks, two good defences, wet conditions, and a tight pitch should ensure a close game but Loughgiel should win the middle battle too give their forwards more opportunities

Loughgiel by 4-6
What happens next????

Milltown Row2

Good assessment Max, was Burkey a county footballer who bottled up Paddy. He's very strong and fit so if Neil plays up front he would be my choice to mark him. The Dall though can still score. Shane is a great player who can score from any position. Could see one of the teams having a man sent off, i hope its not us.