Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Megaman

Quote from: clootfromthe21 on September 07, 2011, 09:10:08 PM
Quote from: Megaman on September 07, 2011, 09:06:04 PM

A worrying sign for the standard of Antrim hurling IMO though.

Why would you say that Megaman - surely it is a good thing for "new" teams to be coming to the fore??

cause IMHO it is has been a case of the top 2 gradually dropping in standard, not the others getting better.

But all credit to St Galls, well done and hope they can push on from this win.

Milltown Row2

Top two!! Having a laugh. Dunloy must been dropping standards for years then if thats the case. county champions for a right few years while Loughgiel won nowt!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Megaman

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 08, 2011, 09:45:10 AM
Top two!! Having a laugh. Dunloy must been dropping standards for years then if thats the case. county champions for a right few years while Loughgiel won nowt!!

i thought it was obvious i was talking about Dunloy & Cushendall, those two where the top 2 for years and as i said in my post having been dropping in standard for a number of years now.

loughgiel IMO havent got any better, those two have got worse - just my opinion though.

but also Dunloy are far from gone just yet, last nights result doesnt make them a bad team all of a sudden.

clootfromthe21

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on September 08, 2011, 06:17:07 AM

On another tangent, I've just been informed that if Cloughmills win on Sunday they will be in the senior championship next year. Is this a fact or is my mate having a laugh?

A Cloughmills Dunloy or Cloughmills Loughgiel match in the first round of the senior championship next year would be a sight that I dont think anyone could honestly say they would have ever foreseen!!!

That said, Lamh Dhearg must be strong enough favourites for the intermediate title on Sunday.

DearyMe

What a victory!
Why oh why did Dunloy panic with 12/13 to go on the clock? and only 2 behind??????

why? because when galls got their goal, the old panic set in big time - a realization that they actually werent going to win. They  really needed the wise heads at this time.
A missed free from stand side 35mtr was uncharacteristic, then two missed 65s to follow.
They seemed to (dare i say it) 'bottle' it!

Me thinks that the shackles could be off this galls team now! You might just see an even better team turn up v dall!

but as MR2 said - lads are probably on the sauce!!! ;D
Do not wait to strike until the iron is hot, but make it hot by striking!

pdiddy

Quote from: DearyMe on September 08, 2011, 11:38:50 AM
What a victory!
Why oh why did Dunloy panic with 12/13 to go on the clock? and only 2 behind??????

why? because when galls got their goal, the old panic set in big time - a realization that they actually werent going to win. They  really needed the wise heads at this time.
A missed free from stand side 35mtr was uncharacteristic, then two missed 65s to follow.
They seemed to (dare i say it) 'bottle' it!

Me thinks that the shackles could be off this galls team now! You might just see an even better team turn up v dall!

but as MR2 said - lads are probably on the sauce!!! ;D

Unfortunately for Dunloy they dont have any/many of those in the current squad.  Players like Dick, Big Mal, Liam R, Damian McM, Gareth M who played in the team that won 2 years ago haven't been replaced.

Looking at last nights team according to the Antrim Website I'd have to say its a weak side.

But here, lets not take anything away from what was a fantastic result for St Galls. Congratulations to them. 
When a team loses, there's always a row at half time, but when they win, its an inspirational speech

BlackandAmber

Well done St Galls.  A great result no matter what way you look at it. Where is Auld laughing Stock?  ;D

Dunloy have slipped a bit but they were in top 2 for the last 20 years. That takes some doing and they done a lot for Antrim hurling so lets hope they get it back together soon.

I'm told Ballycastle won the Championship one time when they were in Div 2. What odds on a Div 2 final?  :D

Not that I think thats likely but you can always hope.  The Town website has a report on the ST Johns game and it says that Steven McGarry, Pinky, and James McLister are out injured. I hear the butcher boy is back thouhg so thats something.

auld stock

well dip me in vinegar & call me a fish supper!!! wouldnt have seen that coming with a telescope.fair play milltown credit where its due. i know your're waiting for my predictions so here goes. senior final is to be competed by two div 2 teams this year the 'town & st galls......... but as you said mill what do i know about it - yeah thats right fcuk all!!!!  seriously though, well done on a great result

Milltown Row2

Just heard that Cushendall have ordered polo tops for the final!! FFS lads ;)

If Dunloy had have been playing one of the other teams, like Loughgiel, Ballycastle or Cushendall I think they would have put in a better performance, very difficult to get going against a team that everyone thinks you should hammer. (Just my view of course)

We have no real history with Dunloy so the games don't have that major edge to them. I'd say there was not that many major tackles in the game and certainly no dirt. I have always had massive respect for Dunloy in their approach to games and how serious they take their Gaelic games. They prepared to beat us and win the Championship this year no doubt. We eventually came through with two games were we showed potential but sustaining that is very difficult on two fronts.

In all honesty we go into this game with no fear, we have managed to beat one of the big teams in Ireland, yes maybe they have some miles on the clock and some inexperienced youngsters but they have repeatedly beaten teams in Antrim for the past 15 years and I hope they continue to raise the bar in hurling.

I organised a friendly in Mullingar (to watch the Dunloy game) one year when Dunloy were playing Mount Sion. We played our game and Dunloy came out to train on the pitch afterwards. The intensity to it was unreal and left our lads in no doubt who was going to win the match and where we needed to be.

Can't wait till Sunday and i hope our lads who have some knocks and couple who have had colds of late are ready for a battle and leave nothing behind.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Jesusjones

MR2 nice try but you'll not catch us out with that kind of chat lol ;)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Jesusjones on September 09, 2011, 10:05:37 AM
MR2 nice try but you'll not catch us out with that kind of chat lol ;)

No games won on a discussion board JJ. William Hill have ya' big favourites and they usually get it right, so don't worry there.

Your first touch is far superior to ours and with Cushendall not winning 'Big ears' in a few years they will be well up for it. So hunger won't be lacking. Seems to be all in you're favour

north_antrim_hound

Just heard that Cushendall have ordered polo tops for the final!! FFS lads

dont panic mr2 if they do get buy you guys theres no way they will be allowed to take to feild in the final riding horses. i say the polo shirts are just for wearing pre-match.

thanks for the compliments about dunloy, that was some era for our club. these are dark days for us now, not much coming through either. but some of those players you seen in mullingar that are retired are now starting to coach our kids,  guys with 8,9,10 county medals and you woud never hear them mention it, still doing there bit. time to start building from the ground up again as see what happens. good luck against the dall and ffs stop with '' we havent got a chance'' stuff. yours players are in bonus territory now and go out and throw some kitchen sinks. all the pressure on the dall
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Jesusjones

Hahaha your some craic MR2. William Hill weren't so smart on Wednesday night. We'll not be taking you boys lightly.

theskull1

Stop biting will youse (eh MR)  ;)
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

btdtgtt

Quote from: BlackandAmber on September 08, 2011, 04:22:46 PM
Well done St Galls.  A great result no matter what way you look at it. Where is Auld laughing Stock?  ;D

Dunloy have slipped a bit but they were in top 2 for the last 20 years. That takes some doing and they done a lot for Antrim hurling so lets hope they get it back together soon.

I'm told Ballycastle won the Championship one time when they were in Div 2. What odds on a Div 2 final?  :D

Not that I think thats likely but you can always hope.  The Town website has a report on the ST Johns game and it says that Steven McGarry, Pinky, and James McLister are out injured. I hear the butcher boy is back thouhg so thats something.

Just confirmed with the Rossa past glories association (lol!) that they also were in Div1B when they won the championship in 2004!
I think this says more about our leagues than anything else. For example, St Galls magnificent victory, Ballycastle beat a Div1 team, and Rossa ran current county champions close. These are all Div2 teams and possibly excepting the Town they havent given the league the full monty if u know what I mean - granted Rossa and Galls have greater number of dual players. I think its time to think structures BUT ALSO time for these teams to think priorities!
Anyway, much I would love to see Galls beat Ruarais I cant see it - so a repeat of last years final? Oh no wait, the Town just might have one up their sleeve! Interesting times!