Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

Found wanting again tonight and the way St Galls played/the way we played on Sunday I was quite fearful going into the game tonight but thought we'd pull a performance out tonight. On a team wide basis St Galls were both technically and physically better than us over the two games and were more than good value for their win. Our scoring threat didn't really exist. If we'd have looked more dangerous inside we could have won. On that basis I think Cushendall will be too much for them but they'll give them their fill of it.

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

the colonel

Quote from: theskull1 on September 07, 2011, 10:16:42 PM
Found wanting again tonight and the way St Galls played/the way we played on Sunday I was quite fearful going into the game tonight but thought we'd pull a performance out tonight. On a team wide basis St Galls were both technically and physically better than us over the two games and were more than good value for their win. Our scoring threat didn't really exist. If we'd have looked more dangerous inside we could have won. On that basis I think Cushendall will be too much for them but they'll give them their fill of it.
St Galls will relish being given no chance again
the difference between success and failure is energy

4father

Well not many called that one  ::)

4father

Quote from: hardstation on September 07, 2011, 08:51:32 PM
Fantastic. Well done Naomh Gall. A credit to Belfast GAA.

It must be a worrying time for Dunloy hurling especially as they don't appear to have a great deal coming through.

A credit to themselves I say, Belfast GAA is shite outside 3 or 4 clubs.  The only thing about your second point is that people might have been saying the same about St Galls not having players coming through.  They couldn't have been described as a hurling force at juvenile level for the last 8 years.

I was delighted for your man Jackie (surname escaped me) who was very animated on the line.  A real gentleman and a good hurling man too.  Was delighted for St Galls, they were cuter and were deserving winners.  We should salute Dunloy too though, the great team that they are were.

Milltown Row2

All the lads are out on the lash  colonel, they hit the town after i left the club there. Fair play to, for us to beat one of the big 3, League leaders and County Champions 2 years ago is some achievement.

That was our final and we won't really have it in us to match that again on Sunday, few boys have taken some knocks there and they emptied the bag tonight.

Besides we can't win it as the County Hurling final will be on the Saturday night and the football final the next day. So we'll settle for beating Dunloy and maybe try and push for promotion next year.

Referee was a bit inconsistent for both teams I thought 5 minutes injury was a bit much. Dunloy went for goal too many times, they had better players out there that could have taken points from distance, Shorty was brilliant but he couldn't do it all on his own. That young lad should have started as he would have caused us all sorts of problems (young Elliot) and managed to score the goal straight after us.

I think we still mishandled a lot of ball and with us not training much it showed. Will cause hassle in the club for sure with dual things and I hope we put up a challenge in the semi.

Auld stock is obviously a keen hurling enthusiast, I will take on board his predictions in the future, I will ensure I tell my friends about his  knowledge of the local game and to heed his posts  ;D ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on September 07, 2011, 09:47:14 PM
Great result, for lots of reasons!!!!    ;D

Why? is that because you dislike Dunloy? or something else?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

gallsman

Quote from: 4father on September 07, 2011, 11:08:51 PM
Quote from: hardstation on September 07, 2011, 08:51:32 PM
Fantastic. Well done Naomh Gall. A credit to Belfast GAA.

It must be a worrying time for Dunloy hurling especially as they don't appear to have a great deal coming through.

A credit to themselves I say, Belfast GAA is shite outside 3 or 4 clubs.  The only thing about your second point is that people might have been saying the same about St Galls not having players coming through.  They couldn't have been described as a hurling force at juvenile level for the last 8 years.

I was delighted for your man Jackie (surname escaped me) who was very animated on the line.  A real gentleman and a good hurling man too.  Was delighted for St Galls, they were cuter and were deserving winners.  We should salute Dunloy too though, the great team that they are were.

Jackie Webb I imagine. Absolutely loves his hurling.

I think the last time we won a minor title was 10 years ago (CiKe's team won the county title right the way up from U10 bar one I think) and teams after that (including my own) were surpassed by the Johnnies and Gort na Mona in Belfast.

ruairi

I don't think we will take St Galls lightly. They just beat Dunloy so are obviously able to beat us. They had very good workrate tonight and karl stewart was unreal. Have a few other tidy hurlers there that will cause us trouble. Its giving a wet day so going to be another battle for us but from what i witnessed tonight, they are a better side than Glenarriffe that pushed us all the way last sunday. Approaching with caution.   

4father

Quote from: gallsman on September 07, 2011, 11:29:36 PM
Jackie Webb I imagine. Absolutely loves his hurling.

I think the last time we won a minor title was 10 years ago (CiKe's team won the county title right the way up from U10 bar one I think) and teams after that (including my own) were surpassed by the Johnnies and Gort na Mona in Belfast.

That's the very man, always wearing that baseball cap.  He is to be found at every juvenile tournament in Belfast on Saturday and Sunday mornings.  Always has time for a chat and is so positive that hurling can be changed and improved in the city.  Wish we had more like him, his enthusiasm is palpable.

It just shows you that when the Johnnies and in the past as you mentioned, Gortnamona, can boast about juvenile championships and being the best under 12/14/16 team, its a really good club that keep developing and producing hurlers when their juvenile success is limited.  I take my hat of to St Galls. A very good club

Fairhead

I guess like a lot of other people i expected Dunloy to pull through tonight after the shock for them of the drawn game. So fair play to St Galls and those 2 games against Dunloy will be of enormous benefit to them going in to the C'dall match. Now i just need to find that Paddy Power docket from before the championship with the St Galls Ballycastle final on it!  :P

ruairi

Fairhead im sure there would have been good odds on that at the start of championship. With bad weather expected at the weekend nothing can be ruled out.

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 07, 2011, 11:16:08 PM
All the lads are out on the lash  colonel, they hit the town after i left the club there. Fair play to, for us to beat one of the big 3, League leaders and County Champions 2 years ago is some achievement.

That was our final and we won't really have it in us to match that again on Sunday, few boys have taken some knocks there and they emptied the bag tonight.

Besides we can't win it as the County Hurling final will be on the Saturday night and the football final the next day. So we'll settle for beating Dunloy and maybe try and push for promotion next year.

Referee was a bit inconsistent for both teams I thought 5 minutes injury was a bit much. Dunloy went for goal too many times, they had better players out there that could have taken points from distance, Shorty was brilliant but he couldn't do it all on his own. That young lad should have started as he would have caused us all sorts of problems (young Elliot) and managed to score the goal straight after us.

I think we still mishandled a lot of ball and with us not training much it showed. Will cause hassle in the club for sure with dual things and I hope we put up a challenge in the semi.

Auld stock is obviously a keen hurling enthusiast, I will take on board his predictions in the future, I will ensure I tell my friends about his  knowledge of the local game and to heed his posts  ;D ;D
They won't finish like that.    ;)

Great victory non the less. Probably more of a shock than the Rossa victory a few years ago. What odds a St. Galls double?
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 07, 2011, 11:18:31 PM
Quote from: Seamroga in exile on September 07, 2011, 09:47:14 PM
Great result, for lots of reasons!!!!    ;D

Why? is that because you dislike Dunloy? or something else?
It's certainly one of  the reasons. :)

Seriously, I think a victory like this, against any of the so called "big 3", injects fresh impetus into the championship. Hopefully, as you say, you can push on from this and maybe even get to and win the final. It's not beyond the realms of possibility. Or, perhaps on a more down to earth line of thought, push on and gain promotion to division one and stay there.  And if you can do that why not Rossa and the johnnies? If Sarsfields can keep their group of talented youngsters together who knows what they might achieve. I'd love to see hurling back to the fore in Belfast. It can only be a good thing for hurling in Antrim.

On another tangent, I've just been informed that if Cloughmills win on Sunday they will be in the senior championship next year. Is this a fact or is my mate having a laugh?
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

maxpower

Cloughmills would have the choice to play SHCnext year if they win IHC on Sunday, though I actually think anyone can choose which competition they play in

Absolutely gutted about last, over the 2 games we can have few complaints, I actually felt we were slightly better last night and lost the game by going for goals much too early

St Galls had savage work rate, we didn't match it and will spend the winter having a long hard look at where we go as a team from here. 

Good luck to St Galls in the semi final
What happens next????

saffron sam2

Super win for St Gall's, but Matron ..

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 07, 2011, 11:16:08 PM
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet