Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: theskull1 on September 06, 2011, 11:05:38 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 05, 2011, 11:27:45 PM
I agree Arthur, there would be a full scale riot at every game if they let the hard stuff go.

I refereed a minor game a few weeks back, one of the teams had a player who was only interested in whacking his man, I warned him and ticked him and eventually yellow carded him. A couple of hard hits followed and then one incident descended into a free for all. The managers blamed me for not controlling the game!!

Ya can't win, dammed if you do and dammed if you don't. Itry and ref the way I would like to see the game played, it's then down to the players to control their emotions. There are some gurny fcukers out there though

Take it you were the home ref MR  :P

Only in Dunloy Skull when the home ref makes it into a riot ;)

We need a lot of ex players to do the refereeing in fairness. even if they done it for 3/4 years i believe it would be a benefit to the clubs and maybe improve the hurling/football

This is not to say that a decent club hurler/footballer necessarily is a better referee, like all things he needs training and understand the 'real' rules of the game But managers and players will have, unfortunately more respect for that referee as they will have played against him or watched him play
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

theskull1

QuoteOnly in Dunloy Skull when the home ref makes it into a riot ;)

Indeed :D

When you look at the tackling that went on on Sunday, it was teak tough and borderline (within the rules) as you'd expect it to be but I think the difference is, that the intent on the challenges in the main were not geared towards mameing
the opposition, it was about breaking down attacks with the aim of turning the ball over. Some of the challenges we see up here you can see that the intent is directed primarily towards the player or is just plain bad/lazy tackling. KK in particular are masters in the black arts of defending. In the intense cauldron of AIC hurling, they never seem to panic and make rash blatant challenges that result in easy decisions for the referee to blow. They are totally in control in these moments. They know where the boundaries are and play right up to them. The work they must do to get to that level of control at that intensity has to be respected and copied (if that is possible).

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Milltown Row2

Quote from: theskull1 on September 06, 2011, 01:32:23 PM

When you look at the tackling that went on on Sunday, it was teak tough and borderline (within the rules) as you'd expect it to be but I think the difference is, that the intent on the challenges in the main were not geared towards mameing
the opposition, it was about breaking down attacks with the aim of turning the ball over. Some of the challenges we see up here you can see that the intent is directed primarily towards the player or is just plain bad/lazy tackling. KK in particular are masters in the black arts of defending. In the intense cauldron of AIC hurling, they never seem to panic and make rash blatant challenges that result in easy decisions for the referee to blow. They are totally in control in these moments. They know where the boundaries are and play right up to them. The work they must do to get to that level of control at that intensity has to be respected and copied (if that is possible).

Our senior football team are great at this. They work on this (pressure cookers) every training session where thae man in possession is surrounded by players who are pushing it to the edge. Tough work out and if done right always turns ball over or they hold on the ball to long.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

pdiddy

Total agreement.  That's why I love and admire everything about Kilkenny hurling. Tommy Walsh epitomises everything that Kilkenny hurling is all about.  On the edge all the time and a master at it.
When a team loses, there's always a row at half time, but when they win, its an inspirational speech

BlackandAmber

Quote from: pdiddy on September 06, 2011, 03:09:44 PM

Total agreement.  That's why I love and admire everything about Kilkenny hurling. Tommy Walsh epitomises everything that Kilkenny hurling is all about.  On the edge all the time and a master at it.

Whaaaaaaaaaaa?  The time the ref got hit Walsh swung his stick 4/5 times at head height at Maher & Kelly before hitting the ref.  Thats not on the edge. Its way over it and not hurling.

theskull1

There was a wasp on his nose and tommy was trying to swat it away  :)

stolen from afr

You might think Tommy Walsh hurls way over "the edge". I disagree. I see someone who wants the ball as if his life depended on it. Personally is my all time favourite hurler (him and JJ) as his enthusiasm going for a ball has not changed since he first come on the scene.

auld stock

def agree with a lot of what you are saying milltown. Its a physical game & more needs to be let go.thats why we all love it. can only work though with complete co operation of both players & coaches. danger comes when the prima donnas start going down under the slightest touch. dublins diarmuid connolly got his red v donegal rescinded & rightly so. yeah he pushed his fist towards the player but come on, teak tough donegal man going down from that?? what a joke. the ref is put under too much pressure by the cheats who dive.more red cards for the ladyboy pussies who go down too cheaply. also milltown, the free for blocking a mans hand ; to me this is the most cowardly act on a hurling field & very seldom is it an accident.90% of these are deliberate & mostly come from a player who  is being taken to the cleaners & hoping to really hurt someone. red card all day long

Bog Ash Camam

Great debate lads on the refereeing issue, glad I initated it!  I think it is something we really need to take on board at both club and county level.  As some have you have righly pointed out there would appear to be major inconsistencies, however, it really is something our players need to focus on ant attempt to play on the edge.  Referees of course, at club level within the county and at intercounty level, particarly in Ulster are going to have to look at the major inconsistencies in their refereeing.  As Millltown also rightly put, "damned if you do, damned if you dont" some refs just cant win if they let the game go  somewhat!  Slapping, borderline tackles etc etc  are clearly part of the game at the highest level.  We in Antrim do not come any where near that sort of physical intensity the way we play. Does this have implications for coaching, implications for referees, implications for players and supporters a like?  It sure does in my opinion!

Our lads need to appreciate that they need to take the odd knock. Robust, intense and manful tackling in the heat of battle and just get on with it, is the order of the day at the top level!  Do you agree?
Remember lads, "the Sliotar hurts just as much when you're looking at it"

pdiddy

[/quote]

Total agreement.  That's why I love and admire everything about Kilkenny hurling. Tommy Walsh epitomises everything that Kilkenny hurling is all about.  On the edge all the time and a master at it.[/quote]

Whaaaaaaaaaaa?  The time the ref got hit Walsh swung his stick 4/5 times at head height at Maher & Kelly before hitting the ref.  Thats not on the edge. Its way over it and not hurling.
[/quote]

Handbag stuff in my opinion and only highlighted because the ref got accidentally hit
When a team loses, there's always a row at half time, but when they win, its an inspirational speech

NAG1

Hate to harp back to it but at present I would be more than happy if our refs could spot the dangerous fouls and let the petty things go. At the minute we have the opposite happening.

Every club has them, the boy that stands below the ball pulls early pulls low, if someone is catching the ball and gets hit on the hand holding the hurl or on the helmet the man pulling is at least 2-3 feet away from the ball and this is getting going.  >:(

Need the refs to come out to the clubs and talk to the players and managers and get an understanding of what is expected. The players at the moment will not have the discipline to play the game like the AF but if we could take small steps to actually  protect players that would be a start.

Jesusjones

Dunloy V St. Galls tonight, any predictions? I'll go for Dunloy by 7.

oisinog

Quote from: Jesusjones on September 07, 2011, 08:46:23 AM

I really think Dunloy is going to win. I think you have to look at the weather does turn and it starts to bucket down St galls are in with a good chance

Milltown Row2

Easy win for Dunloy i think 10 points i think. We have a big match in a couple of weeks time

Two Hands FFS

Quote from: oisinog on September 07, 2011, 10:17:52 AM
Quote from: Jesusjones on September 07, 2011, 08:46:23 AM

I really think Dunloy is going to win. I think you have to look at the weather does turn and it starts to bucket down St galls are in with a good chance
Are you 7?? Get Mammy to double check your posts before you put them on here!!

theskull1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 07, 2011, 10:47:18 AM
Easy win for Dunloy i think 10 points i think. We have a big match in a couple of weeks time

Trying to influence the spread MR? You crafty dog. Can't see you betting against your own team this time