Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: milltown row on June 11, 2007, 03:12:56 PM

Johnnycool we play yourselves in the quarter finals of the ulster hurling league at corrigan next week, weer missing a few, some boys are away states side but well give it a rattle

It's silage season at home plus with the long evenings we'll scrape together a side to give you a game as well..
8)

milltown row

maxpower

Big Mal broke bone in hand, will be out for 4 to 6 weeks.  rules him out of at least 2 liam mc carthy cup matches
What happens next????

slow corner back

Cloney Gaels Ahoghill pulled off what must rate as the greatest shock in the history of the competition when they beat Ruairi Og Cushendall in the first round of the Under 21 Hurling Championship tonight (Monday) in Ahoghill.
County minor champions for the past two years Cushendall had two Antrim seniors in their ranks as well as four county minors.
They were many people's fancy to go all the way in this competition, but the Ahoghill boys turned the form book on its head to run out winners by 0-20 to 1-13.
Star of the show was county minor midfielder PJ O'Connell who scored an incredible twelve points of his team's total. O'Connell who played for Antrim minor hurlers and footballers in the Ulster championship this season, dominated his sector throughout.
Cushendall lead at the break by 1-7 to 0-9 but the Gaels were masters of the second half, scoring eleven points to Cushendall's six, to book a quarter-final place against Rossa.

From the county website, fair play to Clooney, no one say that coming. Makes me feel slighly better about loosing to them in the league a few weeks back, although not much.

clootfromthe21

That is simply incredible! I know what I am seeing on the county website, but my God, I still don't believe it! Fair play to Clooney Gaels, its a fantastic result! Surely it can't be a flash in the pan and they can go on to build a serious senior team over the next few years.

I'm struggling to come up with an appropriate analogy in county terms - Antrim beating Kilkenny would maybe come close!

Keyser_Soze

I was at the game last night (Clooney Gaels v Cushendall) and I'm not exaggerating when I say that the best team won.  Cushendall played as well as they were allowed to play and Clooney Gaels were simply brilliant all over the pitch.  It was great to watch.

Glensman

Abolutely superb for Antrim and more specifically South West hurling.
Again someone I know was at the game who said that the best team did indeed win.
Slightly tainted (not in my eyes) by the fact that quite a few of the 'elder statesmen' from the Cushendall team were on the sauce the previous night due to the Feis Cup win. Not a great attittude and not alot of respect for Ahoghill - came back to bite them being dumped out as favourites.
Still...great work being done in Ahoghill.

girt_giggler

thought it was a mis-print when read that result! thought cushendall would have won u21 championship never mind this game! throws it open even more.

bad news from antrims point of view with mal out for a while.

Noname

Quote from: Glensman on June 12, 2007, 08:39:14 AM
Abolutely superb for Antrim and more specifically South West hurling.
Again someone I know was at the game who said that the best team did indeed win.
Slightly tainted (not in my eyes) by the fact that quite a few of the 'elder statesmen' from the Cushendall team were on the sauce the previous night due to the Feis Cup win. Not a great attittude and not alot of respect for Ahoghill - came back to bite them being dumped out as favourites.
Still...great work being done in Ahoghill.

great result for Clooney, from what i have heard the so-called 'elder statesmen' (who are also county senior players) who where on the sauce on Sunday night where also on the sauce on Saturday night as well.  nothing to do with disrespect for ahoghill just a serious attitude.

i have heard that one of sambos young guns couldnt make it to county training on Sunday morning for this reason, maybe some C'dall posters can clarify this.

Big Bob

There was a full turn out at county training on sunday morning except for the ones away on Holiday.

Noname

Quote from: Big Bob on June 12, 2007, 10:33:58 AM
There was a full turn out at county training on sunday morning except for the ones away on Holiday.

i think you should re-check your info Bob!!!

Big Bob

So Noname, who are you saying wasn't at training? Give me names and I'll clear it up for you.

maxpower

lets not tarnish Ahoghills great performance and result by going through all this about young players on the sauce.

i was absolutely shocked to hear this result but fair fcuks to Ahoghill, hurling must really be on a high in the clooney gaels club.  

it also throws open the entire championship, i'm sure now Clooney, St Johns, Loughgiel, Dunloy & Ballycastle will all be in with a great shout.  maybe even a few more of the belfast clubs
What happens next????

Ruairi Og exile

Wasnt at the game my my reaction was the same as Hardstation's. Have to admit a huge shock, one that probably bring a big(unhappy)reaction in Cushendall. Well apparantly Ahoghill were fully deseving of their victory, so fair play to them & wish them all the best for the rest of the championship.

Suppose you have to ask serious questions of the attitude of our players, drink or no drink, though obviously you shouldnt be drinking the night before a championship match, its obvious they thought they just had to turn up & win & i'm afraid Hurling isnt like that.Hopefully it works for us the same way the defeat to Lamh Dearg did last year.

N0-name didnt even realise the county were training on Sunday morning, so cant confirm that. On this point I dont think the county players should have to train when they have a match later than night....hardly fair on them or their clubs

maxpower

From Hoganstand

'Following a meeting of the Central Hearing's Committee in Croke Park on Monday night (11th June), it was decided that suspensions in respect of Clare players Barry Nugent, Alan Markham, Andrew Quinn and Colin Lynch, and Cork's Sean Og O hAilpin, Diarmuid O Sullivan and Donal Og Cusack be imposed.

The four week suspensions, arising out of incidents on the occasion of the Guinness Munster Hurling Championship quarter final game between Clare and Cork, will include the next game in the competition (even if that game falls outside the suspension time period) and are the minimum provided for in Rule for the relevant infractions.'

would i be right in saying that clare's next game is in casement against Antrim.

Does that give us a realistic chance of reaching the all ireland quater finals.  The draw could not have been much kinder to antrim, had they been playing clare away and galway at home i would have said no chance of going through.  but a home match against a clare team in disaray, lacking all the leaders of the great clare team and now down 4 of their best performers against cork, is winnable as is Laois at home...

As the irish news said, maybe the revolution has begun
What happens next????