Banty's hanging around for another while

Started by Maguire01, August 19, 2009, 06:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

That div 2 final game had it's significance and it's fondly remembered in many respects as a watermark game, not as a boast of winning some big tournament.
Monaghan hit a brick wall after promotion was won this year. From beating Cork comprehensivly we were peed on, by them in Croke pk. There were few inroads made after that game into the issues that needed to be worked on for the championship. Those performances were a long way from matching the capabilities /ambitions of the squad or reflect the amount of preparation that went into it.

There is no hard and fast rule that the manager who got them to that level needs to be replaced. Sometimes a managers time has run out, sometimes not.
Banty sees playing in Div1 as a necessity for Monaghan to seriously challenge for the championship trophies.
That's the theory.
Seeing as we are in Div 1, Banty, as the manager who is associated with that, is fully entitled to test out the theory.

Maguire01

Quote from: Main Street on August 22, 2009, 09:30:13 PM
Banty sees playing in Div1 as a necessity for Monaghan to seriously challenge for the championship trophies.
That's the theory.
And in the majority of cases it has been proven. There haven't been too many recent AI winners from Division 2.

Main Street

It's a theory from a Monaghan perspective.

JMohan

I think there may be a danger the Banty feels an urge to blow his load in the League too - but that will be told in time.
Being Div 1 can only help though.

I thought Monaghan seemed to go badly backwards this year as a rule - is that the feeling in Monaghan as a whole or is that inaccurate?

Main Street

QuoteI thought Monaghan seemed to go badly backwards this year as a rule - is that the feeling in Monaghan as a whole or is that inaccurate?

2009 is one time occasion.
A rule, you can say, is something which happens with regularity :)

After promotion was won this year,
they didn't go backwards, they just didn't go forward enough with their championship mode.
Banty thinks what is needed to overcome some important issues with the squad, is Div 1 experience.

Maguire01

Quote from: JMohan on August 23, 2009, 01:01:47 PM
I think there may be a danger the Banty feels an urge to blow his load in the League too - but that will be told in time.

I thought Monaghan seemed to go badly backwards this year as a rule - is that the feeling in Monaghan as a whole or is that inaccurate?
Yes, topping Division 2 and being promoted was a terrible start to the year.

As for the Championship, yes, it was a poor year, but the draw didn't exactly do us any favours. It was generally accepted that Monaghan got the toughest draw for each of the 2 rounds of the qualifiers. We also played those 2 rounds without Tommy.

It wasn't the most successful summer, but how you arrive at the conclusion that the team went "badly backwards" I don't know.

JMohan

Quote from: Main Street on August 23, 2009, 02:23:10 PM
QuoteI thought Monaghan seemed to go badly backwards this year as a rule - is that the feeling in Monaghan as a whole or is that inaccurate?

2009 is one time occasion.
A rule, you can say, is something which happens with regularity :)

After promotion was won this year,
they didn't go backwards, they just didn't go forward enough with their championship mode.
Banty thinks what is needed to overcome some important issues with the squad, is Div 1 experience.

As a rule - as a summary of the year.

Though when you consider it the way you mean - you could say as a rule in the Ulster championship Monaghan have been poor  ;D

Seriously tho - I think the League will be an interesting test - because he needs more players - but will he blood them in Div 1?
I think not.

JMohan

Quote from: Maguire01 on August 23, 2009, 02:55:08 PM

As for the Championship, yes, it was a poor year, but the draw didn't exactly do us any favours. It was generally accepted that Monaghan got the toughest draw for each of the 2 rounds of the qualifiers. We also played those 2 rounds without Tommy.

It wasn't the most successful summer, but how you arrive at the conclusion that the team went "badly backwards" I don't know.

Well championship is the judge and Monaghan in Ulster championship football are not improving in most peoples eyes - do Monaghan people see something different?

Maguire01

Quote from: JMohan on August 23, 2009, 05:29:28 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on August 23, 2009, 02:55:08 PM

Well championship is the judge and Monaghan in Ulster championship football are not improving in most peoples eyes - do Monaghan people see something different?
There's a big difference between "not improving" and "going badly backwards".

JMohan

Main Street

Stick to being polite, it makes more sense.

saffron sam2

I won't miss him if he does go. His team is the epitome of everything that is wrong with Gaelic football.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

cusack og

Quote from: JMohan on August 22, 2009, 10:58:38 AM
Nothing worse than a man who's blind following won't let him reason.

I've said it before - Monaghan are at a crossroads -
- Get rid of Banty and bring in a better manager
- Keep Banty on - get a better backroom team and try and improve for one year
- Keep Banty on - get a better backroom team and try and improve with a long term view
- Keep Banty on - same backroom team and get the same result

That's the stage that team is at
In my eyes Banty has got maximum return from this current squad of monaghan players and until new/youthful players are bleeded into the monaghan team then you're just going to get the same results as the last couple of years. The main talking point in monaghan shouldn't be the management decision, it should be looking about fresh talent who can re-ignite the current team.

Quote from: saffron sam2 on August 23, 2009, 10:41:41 PM
I won't miss him if he does go. His team is the epitome of everything that is wrong with Gaelic football.

This comes back to monaghan playing to their strengths. If a new, possibly naive man came in and proposed to play a more open brand of football I don't think that positive results for monaghan would be forthcoming. People in monaghan would soon appreciate what they had under banty. maybe not pretty football but in my eyes a very competitive outfit continually punching above their weight

JMohan

Quote from: saffron sam2 on August 23, 2009, 10:41:41 PM
They were last year - before that I enjoyed their play to be honest

thebandit