Banty's hanging around for another while

Started by Maguire01, August 19, 2009, 06:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Good news. There was no other obvious candidate and i'm not sure anyone else would be able to get any more out of the available players anyway.

QuoteIt is expected that Seamus McEnaney will remain on as Monaghan football manager for the 2010 season.

The Corduff clubman has spent weeks mulling over his future and it's believed he has now decided to extend his reign for a sixth season.

This year was expected to be McEnaney's last hurrah with the Farney County, but pleas from the players for him to remain in charge is thought to have played a major part in his decision to carry on.

It is not yet known whether trainer Martin McElkennon will also be involved with the county next year.

McEnaney has overseen a major upswing in Monaghan's fortunes since taking charge at the end of 2004, with Division 2 League success in 2005 and an unlucky reverse to Kerry in the 2007 All-Ireland quarter-final, being the high points in his tenure so far.
http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2009/0819/monaghan.html

Mario

I was at clones for the Derry match, by the sounds of most of the monaghan supporters leaving the ground, this is the last thing they wanted.

The Forfeit Point

yay another year of his head in the paper/net/everywhere ::)

Maguire01

Quote from: Mario on August 19, 2009, 06:47:29 PM
I was at clones for the Derry match, by the sounds of most of the monaghan supporters leaving the ground, this is the last thing they wanted.
You must have been listening in to a good few conversations. Or did you hear one person say "that's the end of Banty"?

ziggysego

Any of the ones I talk to from Monaghan seem to like Banty and will be happy to see him stay on.
Testing Accessibility

Main Street

A true gent of the game.
May his fist be pumping hard and fast next season.

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Main Street

:)
Usually happens after a hard fought win Ziggy.
May there be many occasions for it to happen.

JMohan

Quote from: Main Street on August 19, 2009, 06:56:18 PM
May his fist be pumping hard and fast next season.

Hmmmm 'interesting' image ....

JMohan

If he's only staying for one more year it's a bad move for Monaghan all round

INDIANA

Too long in my view. Players get bored listening to one man all the time.

Maguire01

Quote from: INDIANA on August 19, 2009, 09:10:57 PM
Apparently pleas from the players had a major part in his decision. Anyway, swapping managers about doesn't seem to have waves a magic wand over the fortunes of other counties.  :P

Furthermore, I believe that Mickey Harte is the country's longest serving manager.

rootthemout

thought nudie hughes was looking the post going by his article in last weeks gaelic life,assumed he left harps for this job ;)

Aaron Boone

Harte is in his 7th season, his county career almost reflects his friend Brian Cody.

Main Street

Quote from: INDIANA on August 19, 2009, 09:10:57 PM
The players pleaded for him to stay on.

Some attention spans differ.