Banty's hanging around for another while

Started by Maguire01, August 19, 2009, 06:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMohan

Looks like Banty I think is watching the Down and Armagh situations ....

If Tally, McIver, McAlinden, McCartan or some of their backroom staff don't get in then he'll not have committed himself and will be able to take them on.

thebandit

Quote from: JMohan on August 21, 2009, 10:18:50 AM
Jim?  ;D Anyway ...

Binobus - if you read what I said - I didn't say he or the family make his money off the back of it - I said he didn't lose money because someone else was saying it was costing the Banty to manage Monaghan - which isn't true either. He's a great hard worker by all accounts and deserves every success if that's the case - but to say it's 'costing' him is a bit rich.

I think Monaghan have more often than not been a hard team to beat and always are around the semi-final stage of Ulster - he's made no difference. To say he won a Div 2 is a joke too. Ulsters are the standard and only Tyrone and Armagh can claim success there.

A players manager? So what. There's no prizes for being the players favourite. Mickey Harte wouldn't be described the same way.

The only thing I see him finishing with that current squad is a few players careers and his own - I think if he's going to stay on - do another 3 year stint and 'try' and do it properly. Not bleed the same players dry for a 6th year on the road.

Quote from: JMohan on August 21, 2009, 07:16:10 AM

To say it's costing him money is hardly accurate either - everyone knows the family businesses have done well out of it and through the various GAA links, traveling teams etc. Ones in Monaghan will tell you that people forget the family had a lot less property before he took over the county team than now.  

I had a reply written out, but I think I'm better to say nothing. Very scurrilous and totally unfair Jmohan.

JMohan

Bullsh!t Nothing scurrilous at all
The impression is being made that Banty was bankrolling the whole team and operation and it was costing him money ... I'd be amazed if that's the case.

But I'm not in the slightest interested in discussing his finances - none of my or anyone else's business

I think Monaghan are at a cross roads - they either change the whole setup and keep Banty on - but they need to look at a longer plan or they stay with the same set up and try and get one more year
The one more year thing will be a disaster.

Maguire01

All this hype about players wanting him is nonsense too... what else is someone going to say to him if they think he's going to pick the team next year?
If your boss comes to you and says - 'Bob... do you think I should resign now or stay on for another year' - knowing rightly he'll be the one deciding if you get a raise or not? - What are you going to say? Seriously? What is someone like the captain Damien Freeman going to say? Because the next man in would drop him straightaway.
What a load of crap. Banty appointed Vinny Corey as the captain in place of Damien Freeman for the 2008 season. Damien either came on as a sub or was subbed in a number of games during the year.

I can't imagine that Banty would even want to continue if he didn't genuinely believe that he had the support of the players. He wouldn't manage to keep the squad together if he didn't.

I'm told from a very reliable source that some of the senior players would be glad to see someone else come in and change it up because they see the weaknesses themselves and know their time is running out.
Ah, the old "reliable source". It must be true.

As for the success Monaghan have achieved ... they've won nothing in years and they're not a patch on the tough 80's teams which went right through the front door.
So on one hand they're not a patch on the 80s team... and on the other hand you're having a go because they've achieved nothing? Surely if they're such an inferior team, that's what you'd expect. What can a manager do with such an inferior team?

JMohan

Nothing worse than a man who's blind following won't let him reason.

I've said it before - Monaghan are at a crossroads -
- Get rid of Banty and bring in a better manager
- Keep Banty on - get a better backroom team and try and improve for one year
- Keep Banty on - get a better backroom team and try and improve with a long term view
- Keep Banty on - same backroom team and get the same result

That's the stage that team is at

INDIANA

Quote from: Maguire01 on August 21, 2009, 06:42:06 PM
All this hype about players wanting him is nonsense too... what else is someone going to say to him if they think he's going to pick the team next year?
If your boss comes to you and says - 'Bob... do you think I should resign now or stay on for another year' - knowing rightly he'll be the one deciding if you get a raise or not? - What are you going to say? Seriously? What is someone like the captain Damien Freeman going to say? Because the next man in would drop him straightaway.
What a load of crap. Banty appointed Vinny Corey as the captain in place of Damien Freeman for the 2008 season. Damien either came on as a sub or was subbed in a number of games during the year.

I can't imagine that Banty would even want to continue if he didn't genuinely believe that he had the support of the players. He wouldn't manage to keep the squad together if he didn't.

I'm told from a very reliable source that some of the senior players would be glad to see someone else come in and change it up because they see the weaknesses themselves and know their time is running out.
Ah, the old "reliable source". It must be true.

As for the success Monaghan have achieved ... they've won nothing in years and they're not a patch on the tough 80's teams which went right through the front door.
So on one hand they're not a patch on the 80s team... and on the other hand you're having a go because they've achieved nothing? Surely if they're such an inferior team, that's what you'd expect. What can a manager do with such an inferior team?

Its more a question of what he's going to add in a 6th year. Winning div 2 titles according to yourself seems to the barometer of success. In a county with a very strong club scene where little others sports are played I find Monaghan's lack of ambition quite extraordinary at times.
He's done a fine job in my view but he isn't going to add anything extra in a 6th year. In my view there is more than enough players on the current Monaghan panel to be at least winning Ulster titles. They may well look upon the last 2-3 years in the future as opportunities missed in that regard

JMohan

I agree with that Indiana

I disagree a little with the absolute quality Monaghan have available to them, but I think they should be doing a lot better. That's why when their supporters bang on about a Div 2 title it tells me about their ambition.

I don't think Banty is the right man - but perhaps he can bring the right man in with him. I think someone like Pete McGrath would be a great coup as an advisor or selector - or someone of that quality.

It's funny the way he's doing it too - it really looks like he's waiting on the decision from the Armagh or the Down job's and he's his eye or an agreement with Tally/McCartan/McIvor/McGrath/Grimley etc. The silence from the backroom team also look like it will mean a clear out there too.

Maguire01

Quote from: INDIANA on August 22, 2009, 11:18:30 AM
Winning div 2 titles according to yourself seems to the barometer of success. In a county with a very strong club scene where little others sports are played I find Monaghan's lack of ambition quite extraordinary at times.
It's also a county with one of the smallest populations in the country and less that 30 clubs. Monaghan are punching well above their weight.

Quote from: JMohan on August 22, 2009, 11:27:37 AM
I disagree a little with the absolute quality Monaghan have available to them, but I think they should be doing a lot better. That's why when their supporters bang on about a Div 2 title it tells me about their ambition.
For the record, no one is saying that a Division 2 title is the height of Monaghan's ambitions. The division 2 title is being used as a comparison to the years that preceded it. The title was also a long time ago at this stage and I wouldn't regard it as this team's high point anyway.

Of course Monaghan have ambition about winning an Ulster and reaching the latter stages of the All Ireland.

In my view there is more than enough players on the current Monaghan panel to be at least winning Ulster titles. They may well look upon the last 2-3 years in the future as opportunities missed in that regard
And i'm sure Fermanagh will look back on the last 4-5 years in the same way. And Derry can look back on the last 10 years likewise. And as it happens, these two teams who should also realistically have been landing Ulster titles over the last few years have been the teams who have ended Monaghan's run in the Ulster Championship.

Quote from: JMohan on August 22, 2009, 10:58:38 AM
Can you explain that?

INDIANA

Quote from: Maguire01 on August 22, 2009, 11:48:11 AM
Winning div 2 titles according to yourself seems to the barometer of success. In a county with a very strong club scene where little others sports are played I find Monaghan's lack of ambition quite extraordinary at times.
It's also a county with one of the smallest populations in the country and less that 30 clubs. Monaghan are punching well above their weight.

Quote from: JMohan on August 22, 2009, 11:27:37 AM
For the record, no one is saying that a Division 2 title is the height of Monaghan's ambitions. The division 2 title is being used as a comparison to the years that preceded it. The title was also a long time ago at this stage and I wouldn't regard it as this team's high point anyway.

Of course Monaghan have ambition about winning an Ulster and reaching the latter stages of the All Ireland.

In my view there is more than enough players on the current Monaghan panel to be at least winning Ulster titles. They may well look upon the last 2-3 years in the future as opportunities missed in that regard
And i'm sure Fermanagh will look back on the last 4-5 years in the same way. And Derry can look back on the last 10 years likewise. And as it happens, these two teams who should also realistically have been landing Ulster titles over the last few years have been the teams who have ended Monaghan's run in the Ulster Championship.

Quote from: JMohan on August 22, 2009, 10:58:38 AM
Can you explain that?

I wouldn't agree Fermanagh would be expecting to land Ulster titles but they've achieved as much as Monaghan since 2003 in my view with an inferior group of players. Fermanagh have an even smaller population especially when you take the non -playing gaa community out of it. Monaghan have far more forwards for example, than fermanagh -yet fermanagh have reached the last 4, played in Div 1 and should have landed at least one ulster title

I'm not having a go - he's done a fine job but I'd question whether he can take them any further.

JMohan

Quote from: INDIANA on August 22, 2009, 12:33:28 PM

I'm not having a go - he's done a fine job but I'd question whether he can take them any further.

Agreed - I don't think with the current set up he can

I'd just add to the above that at least the perennial failures that are Derry have one Div 1 to show for the past few years

Maguire01

Quote from: JMohan on August 22, 2009, 12:37:27 PM
I'd just add to the above that at least the perennial failures that are Derry have one Div 1 to show for the past few years
Yes, and that's probably as far from Dery's ambitions as the Div 2 title is from Monaghan's.

JMohan

So Maguire - what would like to see happen with Monaghan?

Maguire01

Quote from: JMohan on August 22, 2009, 02:07:22 PM
So Maguire - what would like to see happen with Monaghan?
I'd like to see Banty stay on. If he changes his backroom team, then fair enough.

I'd like to see Monaghan stay in Division 1 and win an Ulster title and/or an All Ireland Semi-Final place. I think achieving any of these would be regarded as a very good 2010.

JMohan

Yes - but in terms of management/tactics etc

Do you think he'll change his backroom team?

Onlooker

Quote from: JMohan on August 21, 2009, 12:43:11 PM
[quote author=bingobus link=topic=13468.msg625020#msg625020 date=12508
I just mean a Div 2 title means very little - a trophy for coming 7th or something in the 2nd most important competition in the country ....

When Monaghan won Div. 2, there were 16 counties playing in Div. 1, so it was the equivalent of winning Div, 3 under the present NFL set up.  Getting promoted to Div. 1 this year was a better achievement and staying in it next year will be a real test.